Do not use Marini Asphalt

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Had them widen my driveway approx. 800 sq. ft. Said they gave me a good deal because they're doing another drive right up the street. Estimate says:
  • Install culvert pipe into existing one.
  • Grade approx. 800 sq. ft., haul debris to dump.
  • Put in rock and grade then roll to compaction.
  • Hand tamp all edges, crack fill the seam from the old asphalt to the new asphalt.

They did the work on the Thursday before Memorial Day. I noticed there was no evidence of any rock base laid (there's always excess around the edges). They also did not do the seam sealer, they just ran the new asphalt up and over the old.

I parked boat on it that Saturday (boat only weighs 1600 lbs). Trailer tires sank into asphalt. Called Charlie Sunday evening. He said he'd come by and fix it that week and that I should not have parked on it for 4 days. He admitted to not telling me this nor is it mentioned on their estimate or website.

A week goes by, no Charlie. I call office and leave voice mail. Melissa calls work phone at 6:30pm 2 days later and leaves v/m. I call Melissa following day. She says Charlie never should have told me 4 days that they tell people to wait 2-3 weeks. Asked why I crossed the caution tape...there was no caution tape!! The one up the street had caution tape. She said she would have Joe Marini call me tomorrow. That was on May 31. Still have not heard from anyone. Been parking boat on street.

I was going to let it go figuring that the asphalt just hadn't hardened yet. Parked boat on asphalt Sunday afternoon. Guess what? Yep, tires sank into it again.

I will now be filing small claims against Marini. This week.

Copenhaver never even responded when I was looking for quotes. Too bad because they did my original driveway a couple years ago and did a great job. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Sounds like not only was the base inadequate, but it wasn't rolled enough. It shouldn't sink so long after it was done.

sputnik

Sorry about your bad experience. Their lack of communication would really p@ss me off. I plan to get some work done on my driveway. Thanks for the heads up. They wouldn't get my business.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I searched these forums beforehand and IIRC they were recommended. I think they tried to do a quick hit and run by doing both driveways in one day.

Redrobin

That does suck that they did you like that. Spread the word and make them feel the pain.

Not a very good business model in today's economy. I predict they'll be out of business at some point as a result.

bcp

In My Opinion
Not understanding this wait 4 days, or 2 or 3 weeks thing before using it.
I know if they lay asphalt on a road during the night, its holding up to the car traffic the next morning..
Something different with the materials used between the two?

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I know if they lay asphalt on a road during the night, its holding up to the car traffic the next morning..
I dunno but here is the letter going to them tomorrow. Their last chance before they're in court.

Joseph Marini
7704 Poplar Hill Lane
Clinton, MD 20735

Re: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx, MD 20xxx

To whom it may concern,

I am sending you this letter because you have not returned my many phone calls or emails about the sub-standard asphalt work your crews performed on my driveway. I have repeatedly called and left messages and only received one phone call from Melissa who said she would have Joe call me. He never did.

On Friday May 3, 2013 I signed the estimate (attached) and emailed it to Mr. Charles Borky who scheduled the work. He said your firm was doing another drive way on the same street and both drives would be done on the same day.

The crews performed the work on Thursday May 16, 2013. Upon arriving to my street that afternoon, I noticed that the other drive you laid had caution tape and mine did not. When I arrived at my drive, I noticed that there was no excess base gravel (there's always excess around the edges) and that no edge sealer was used.

On Saturday afternoon, May 18, 2013 I parked my boat on the new asphalt. The boat is a 20', center console and only weighs 1,600 pounds. Sunday morning I noticed that the tires had sank into the asphalt. I immediately relocated the boat to the street and did not use the new asphalt at all.

I called Mr. Borky on Sunday evening, May 19 who told me he would come by to fix it that on Thursday of week (May 23) and to call the office on Monday to log the complaint. He also told me that I should not park on it for (4) days because it takes that long to cool and set. He admitted that I was not informed of this. I also checked your estimate and website and neither mentions waiting any time before parking on new asphalt.

I called your office on Monday, May 20 as directed and left a voice mail. I received no return call. Thursday came and went and Charlie did not show up to fix the asphalt.

I called your office again on Friday, May 25 and spoke with Charlie who said he did not get by but would next week. I sent Charlie an email again on Thursday, May 30 regarding the issue and received no response.

I called your office again on Friday, May 31 and left a voice mail. A Melissa from your office called my work phone and left a voice mail at 6:30pm that day. I called her back the following Monday, June 3rd when I got the message and explained everything to her. She said she would have Joe call me. I have not been contacted from anyone at Marini since.

I was about to let it go figuring that the asphalt just hadn't hardened yet but when I parked the boat on the new asphalt again this Sunday, June 9, the tires sank into the asphalt again.

Now I know the asphalt was not installed correctly and needs to be redone.

I need someone from Marini to contact me ASAP and tell me when and how they intend to resolve this issue. I expect the asphalt to be repaired or relaid no later than June 28, 2013 or I will have no other alternative than to take legal action. This is my last resort and I hope we can resolve this amicably.

I can be reached on my cell below, by mail at the address above or email: baja28@yahoo.com.

I await your reply,

Baja28 esq, OB/GYN, 0U812

Yes. Different size of the material (road asphalt is more coarse) and they use much more pressure and weight on the road to compress it than at home.

There is always a wait period for home driveways until it 'hardens'.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Sorry to hear about the driveway. I wish I'd known you were having trouble reaching Copenhaver. I have a family member that married into the clan. Could have hooked you up.

Redrobin

Sorry to hear about the driveway. I wish I'd known you were having trouble reaching Copenhaver. I have a family member that married into the clan. Could have hooked you up.

If a person has to get hooked up to get good service from a company, or a good product that you're paying for than it's better just to do business elsewhere.

PRIVATEYE

I dunno but here is the letter going to them tomorrow. Their last chance before they're in court.

Send this letter certified, signature required. You will have to show the court that you gave them sufficient opportunity via written notice that you had an issue with them. This letter should be Exhibit (1) of your small claims case. Keep copies of everything you send.

Redrobin

Nah, they're the best and that's why they are insanely busy.

The best at what?

Doing things half ass for full pay?

Blowing off customers who paid them hard earned money after they did a job half ass?

You're obviously bias due to your family connection with them. Good companies do things right the first time and they always do what they say will do. Simple concept.

Thanks for the warning Baja.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
The best at what?

Doing things half ass for full pay?

Blowing off customers who paid them hard earned money after they did a job half ass?

You're obviously bias due to your family connection with them. Good companies do things right the first time and they always do what they say will do. Simple concept.

Thanks for the warning Baja.

I have no connection to Marini and was not promoting them or defending them. Reading comprehension.

I have a very remote connection to Copenhaver, and would have done whatever I could to connect them and Baja. Reading comprehension.

:coffee:

Redrobin

I have no connection to Marini and was not promoting them or defending them. Reading comprehension.

I have a very remote connection to Copenhaver, and would have done whatever I could to connect them and Baja. Reading comprehension.

:coffee:

Idiot.