How to read (and think) like an atheist

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"There were two categories of teenagers in the 1950s: those who could name one book by an atheist and those who could not. I joined the small first category in 1958, at sixteen, after fortuitously discovering Bertrand Russell’s “Why I am Not a Christian.” That single book was the complete atheist wing of my local public library.

I didn’t know anyone else without a God belief. More accurately, I didn’t know anyone who acknowledged such nonbelief. I felt better about myself after learning that Russell was more than just not a Christian. He was as many “nots” as I was, and brave enough to say so. Bertrand Russell transformed the lives of many in my generation. For the first time we heard articulate arguments that confirmed and gave voice to our own skepticism and doubts. Even some true believers were led on a thoughtful journey toward altered religious states.

Today there are countless “nonspiritual” heirs to Bertrand Russell. Many teens who consider themselves religious fundamentalists have heard about or even read best-selling books like “The God Delusion,” “God is Not Great,” “The End of Faith,” “Breaking the Spell,” and “The Demon-Haunted World.” Conservative religionists might believe that Satan inspired these and other such authors, but godless views are gaining traction in our culture. (Note to fundamentalists: Is Satan winning?) I agree that God is both a delusion and not great, and that it would be nice if we could bring an end to faith by breaking the spell of a demon-haunted world. But in-your-face books aren’t always the most effective ways to change minds or activate atheists.

There aren’t many atheist evangelists to take on that challenge. In fact, most of them rarely discuss their atheism because it’s not a big issue in their lives. I had long been an apathetic atheist, and turned into an accidental activist atheist only when I saw how the religious right had become politically influential and was impacting my life. I still fear for our country when politicians base decisions more on theocratic than on secular values."

"Long story short, atheists are here to stay and, in fact, we’re growing. It’s a very different world from my teen years in the 1950s. The Internet has probably been the single most important factor in empowering young people with inquiring minds to learn about the many choices for religious belief or non-belief. Those who doubt religious claims no longer need to search randomly in a library or rely exclusively on information from within their small local communities.

The figurative genie is out of the bottle, and it’s out for good. No matter how hard religious and social conservatives strain to put the genie back in the bottle, they will not succeed in their attempts to pray the atheist away."

PJumper

"There were two categories of teenagers in the 1950s: those who could name one book by an atheist and those who could not. I joined the small first category in 1958, at sixteen, after fortuitously discovering Bertrand Russell’s “Why I am Not a Christian.” That single book was the complete atheist wing of my local public library.

I didn’t know anyone else without a God belief. More accurately, I didn’t know anyone who acknowledged such nonbelief. I felt better about myself after learning that Russell was more than just not a Christian. He was as many “nots” as I was, and brave enough to say so. Bertrand Russell transformed the lives of many in my generation. For the first time we heard articulate arguments that confirmed and gave voice to our own skepticism and doubts. Even some true believers were led on a thoughtful journey toward altered religious states.

Today there are countless “nonspiritual” heirs to Bertrand Russell. Many teens who consider themselves religious fundamentalists have heard about or even read best-selling books like “The God Delusion,” “God is Not Great,” “The End of Faith,” “Breaking the Spell,” and “The Demon-Haunted World.” Conservative religionists might believe that Satan inspired these and other such authors, but godless views are gaining traction in our culture. (Note to fundamentalists: Is Satan winning?) I agree that God is both a delusion and not great, and that it would be nice if we could bring an end to faith by breaking the spell of a demon-haunted world. But in-your-face books aren’t always the most effective ways to change minds or activate atheists.

There aren’t many atheist evangelists to take on that challenge. In fact, most of them rarely discuss their atheism because it’s not a big issue in their lives. I had long been an apathetic atheist, and turned into an accidental activist atheist only when I saw how the religious right had become politically influential and was impacting my life. I still fear for our country when politicians base decisions more on theocratic than on secular values."

"Long story short, atheists are here to stay and, in fact, we’re growing. It’s a very different world from my teen years in the 1950s. The Internet has probably been the single most important factor in empowering young people with inquiring minds to learn about the many choices for religious belief or non-belief. Those who doubt religious claims no longer need to search randomly in a library or rely exclusively on information from within their small local communities.

The figurative genie is out of the bottle, and it’s out for good. No matter how hard religious and social conservatives strain to put the genie back in the bottle, they will not succeed in their attempts to pray the atheist away."

And the Atheist's last words are.........

God help me!

hotcoffee

I grew up in the 50's and I read the book you are talking about. It inspired me to be even more faithful to My God.

You are absolutely right. There will always be atheists. The Bible says so.

May God have mercy on their soles. Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

:coffee:

dazed&fallen

fine artist
I grew up in the 50's and I read the book you are talking about. It inspired me to be even more faithful to My God.

You are absolutely right. There will always be atheists. The Bible says so.

May God have mercy on their soles. Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

My soles are fine. I use Dr. Scholl' s hard working feet insoles-_o

CrashTest

Atheists seem to spend a lot more time focusing on their atheism than I spend focusing on my Christianity. Being a Christian just seems like a lot less work.