Huh ? ..... WTF Atheist Churches

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘Can I Get an Amen?’: Atheist Churches Bring Hymns and Sermons Together in Curious Celebration of Non-Belief

The growth of atheist churches continues across the globe. With the London-based Sunday Assembly, a non-theistic congregation, coming to New York City later this month, it’s only one of the non-believing congregations operating — or planning to, anyway — on U.S. soil.

Take, for instance, Jerry DeWitt — a former Pentecostal minister — and his newest endeavor. This weekend, he took his atheism to new levels with the launch of the Community Mission Chapel of Lake Charles Louisiana (an atheist congregation). While the house of worship sounds like a traditional Christian church, it’s quite the opposite.

On Sunday, the “secular” church service unfolded at a hotel in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, as Religion News Service reports. DeWitt, who faced challenges after leaving his faith behind, is looking to create a sense of community with the announcement of his chapel and its accompanying services.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. They'll still be passin' the plate, 'cuz that's what it's all about.

Toxick

Splat
It still boggles my mind that people would identify themselves by what they don't believe.

I don't believe in El Chupacabre, yet I've never felt the need to gather with other people who don't believe in it, and celebrate the fact.

If that's what they wanna do, more power to them - but it doesn't make any ####ing sense to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't believe in El Chupacabre, yet I've never felt the need to gather with other people who don't believe in it, and celebrate the fact.

I don't believe in astrology. Wanna form a club with me? We can have meetings and pot luck dinners, burn copies of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs. Fun for the whole family.

bcp

In My Opinion
I don't believe in astrology. Wanna form a club with me? We can have meetings and pot luck dinners, burn copies of Linda Goodman's Sun Signs. Fun for the whole family.

Cool

I was thinking the same thing, Hey, whats your sign?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
After giving this some thought, I have come to the conclusion that creating a gathering place for learning, whether you call it a church, synagogue or mission, is as good an idea for atheists as it is for christians. I think it is important for some people to gather with others of like mind and experiences, and share what knowledge they have, and learn from others.

Regardless of what we are taught as children by our families, things happen in our lives that compel us explore other possibilities. So, having a place to go and look for answers is a good thing.

I spent many years, with many different denominations, searching for answers. I wish I'd had this option as well.

Unfortunately, I do see this taking advantage of tax shelters as much as some christian organizations. In that sense, it won't be any different.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it is important for some people to gather with others of like mind and experiences, and share what knowledge they have, and learn from others.

I would agree with that except I don't find most of my fellow atheists to be particularly intelligent or insightful. Since I don't consider you one of them and I know you are well-read on the subject, I'm curious what answers you're looking for?

I love religion and find its evolution over the years fascinating. Religion is created to provide answers that your average Joe on the street can understand:

God made it.
Okay, cool.

What questions does atheism, lack of belief in a supreme deity, answer?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I would agree with that except I don't find most of my fellow atheists to be particularly intelligent or insightful. Since I don't consider you one of them and I know you are well-read on the subject, I'm curious what answers you're looking for?

I love religion and find its evolution over the years fascinating. Religion is created to provide answers that your average Joe on the street can understand:

God made it.
Okay, cool.

What questions does atheism, lack of belief in a supreme deity, answer?
I don't have any questions at this point in my life, but others do. Having a place to go, people to ask, for those who do have questions is what I'm saying.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
After giving this some thought, I have come to the conclusion that creating a gathering place for learning, whether you call it a church, synagogue or mission, is as good an idea for atheists as it is for christians. I think it is important for some people to gather with others of like mind and experiences, and share what knowledge they have, and learn from others.

Regardless of what we are taught as children by our families, things happen in our lives that compel us explore other possibilities. So, having a place to go and look for answers is a good thing.

I spent many years, with many different denominations, searching for answers. I wish I'd had this option as well.

Unfortunately, I do see this taking advantage of tax shelters as much as some christian organizations. In that sense, it won't be any different.

But......unfortunately you are still lost. Try going back to you roots and what your parents taught you. There's some truth in all that.

JMHO