Luke 8:19-21 Jesus' Mother and Brothers

hotcoffee

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers

Luke 8:19 Now Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd. 20 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you.”

21 He replied, “My mother and brothers are those who hear God’s word and put it into practice.”​

Luke doesn't say as much about this incident. Mark gets into the nitty gritty.

I went to the commentaries again and found a lot of commentary about how receiving Christ changes the family dynamic.

To a society which regarded itself as God’s chosen people merely by birth and an external ritual like circumcision Jesus asserts that belonging to God has little to do with blood or race but only with the relationship one establishes with God.​

This particular commentary says that because Luke says they are on the "outside", His family were not "hearing" Him. But in this commentary the author says Mary never swayed from her faithfulness to Jesus.

Of course, we know elsewhere, especially from Luke’s gospel, that Mary is not being condemned here – whatever about other family members. In fact, this is where her greatness really lies. Clearly it partly lies in her being chosen to be the mother of God’s Son but perhaps even more in her saying ‘Yes’ (“Let it happen to me according to your word”), in her unswerving faithfulness to that ‘Yes’ and in her standing by her Son to the very end when all the rest had fled.​

So Mark had a different opinion than Luke? Or did Mark's view of the event come closer to what actually happened. You know two people never seem to tell the exact same story the exact same way; and come to think of it, some people don't see the verses in the Bible the same twice in a row, either.

:coffee:

libby

These stories are meant to teach us that we all can be as intimately close to Jesus as the Blessed Mother. It is not meant to say that she is no one special to Jesus.

hotcoffee

I think these stories are to lead us when our family [earthly] takes exception to our faith.

A personal relationship with Christ has caused problems in some families. Jesus says that we become part of another family when we except Christ as our Savior.

Perhaps Mary went along with the brothers who want to talk Jesus down [Mark says Jesus was actually pushed to the edge of cliff and the people wanted to push Him off the cliff]. So far the Gospels say that Mary was there with the brothers. She might have gone to defend Jesus. The Gospels don't say where she stood on this issue at the time of these events.

Perhaps later in Luke or in John we'll get a better look at her faithfulness to Christ.

I think Luke wanted to leave out the harsh story and discuss the joining of a new family.

:coffee: