Luke 9:37-42 How long do I have to stay?

hotcoffee

Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy

Luke 9:37 The next day, when they came down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. 38 A man in the crowd called out, “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. 39 A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him. 40 I begged your disciples to drive it out, but they could not.”

41 “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you and put up with you? Bring your son here.”

42 Even while the boy was coming, the demon threw him to the ground in a convulsion. But Jesus rebuked the impure spirit, healed the boy and gave him back to his father. 43 And they were all amazed at the greatness of God.​

Now Jesus had just come down from the mountain. He had just talked with Moses and Elijah about His coming death and resurrection.

I'm sure their discussion was about the timing, the pain, the glory. He had to be looking forward, however intrepidly, to the end of His earthly mission.

Then He finds that His disciples still aren't ready and Satan violently attacking this poor child and countless others.

The first time I read this, I considered the disciples to be failures. I'm sure all of us feel that way once in a while when the trials of life seem too big for us to handle.

This time tho... I see the compassion of Christ. He wants us all to have a great life without the demons pulling us apart. If He hadn't died for our sins, the demons would be really running amuck.

:coffee:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
His disciples - the 12 named ones and countless others, remained "not ready" up until His resurrection. It still boggles my mind (and not to say that I would not be in the same frame of mind as they), that the disciples were with Him nearly 24/7, heard and saw demonstrations of His teachings, and still did not get it.

The people who got it were those that were healed, for the most part, and the women that ministered to the Lord. They understood, and accepted, what Jesus was about, and what He was about to go through for mankind.