IRS is targeting the American Legion

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
The Internal Revenue Service is targeting the veterans’ organization the American Legion, and a U.S. senator believes that Lois Lerner — a key figure in the IRS scandal – is to blame.

“The IRS now requires American Legion posts to maintain dates of service and character of service records for all members… The penalty for not having the required proof of eligibility is, apparently, $1,000 per day,” the American Legion stated.
I think most Posts have this information, it's the Adjutant's responsibility. I know we blacked out (redacted) the SSN. I don't know if other Posts did that. It seems like an over-reach of the Feds to get in the weeds of American Legion membership.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“The IRS now requires American Legion posts to maintain dates of service and character of service records for all members…

dates of service and character of all members :confused: WTF

is this Yet Another Way for the FED to track vet's

[insert barnyard animal sounds]

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
dates of service and character of all members :confused: WTF

is this Yet Another Way for the FED to track vet's

[insert barnyard animal sounds]

I think most posts keep DD214s of members as it is. I believe they've never had federal oversight before.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Targeting? lol! This ruling applies to all veterans organizations not just to the American Legion.

Midnightrider

I think most Posts have this information, it's the Adjutant's responsibility. I know we blacked out (redacted) the SSN. I don't know if other Posts did that. It seems like an over-reach of the Feds to get in the weeds of American Legion membership.

If the legion doesn't ensure it's membership standards are met they are just a bar. That means The "sons" and "associate" members documentation has to be in order too. I would imagine that's where some will have issues. You are actually supposed to supply your parent or spouse's paperwork to become a member of either of those.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
and that has what Exactly to do with the Feds and the IRS

wouldn't that be a local Liquor License / Tax Issue

R

rhenderson

Clubs and organizations can apply for certain tax exemptions under 501C. If an organization has been granted an exemption they must be able to show that their services and business activities are benefit only their members. to do this the club must be able to identify who their members are.

State and local laws would apply to liguor licenses and impose their own set of membership documentation requirements.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
TJ, I read the thing three times and don't find any reference to sending lists of members to the Federal government or any of its agencies anywhere. Maybe you have a current copy of the document?

:tap:
I guess TJ is having trouble finding something that remotely supports his stupid post. Either that or the drive thru at the liquor store is really backed up.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
A problem I see with the IRS attempting to collect this information is that there are A.L. members who are still on active duty and haven't a DD214. Just how do you prove they are eligible? Send in the copy of their orders to Afghanistan or copy of their IDs?