Sad story, lesson learned

acommondisaster

It's taken a couple of weeks to get to a point where I could post this. My sons two dogs were playing together when the smaller dog's collar got twisted around the lab's jaw. The buckle was stuck in the lab's mouth, making it impossible to release the collar. My son was home alone, and as hard as he tried to free the dogs, the lab was scared and struggled.

Unfortunately, the smaller dog suffocated, and it took my son and his neighbor to finally free the dogs.

Before you judge my son, know that this happened in a matter of minutes; my son is a very attentive owner; the problem was the inability to free them because the collar was so tightly wound that he couldn't get a knife or scissors or even a box cutter in between to free them and because the lab was struggling and clamping down on my son while he tried to save his beloved dog.

Please, if you have multiple dogs, be sure you have quick release collars - or better yet, don't let them play with their collars on. It still seems like a bad dream.

ZARA

Oh Hunny! :huggy: There is no judgement! And if anyone gives any attitude, I will :smack::strangle::buttkick: for you!

I am so terribly sorry all of you had to go through this!! Your poor son! Words cannot express how sad I am for you. :huggy:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It's taken a couple of weeks to get to a point where I could post this. My sons two dogs were playing together when the smaller dog's collar got twisted around the lab's jaw. The buckle was stuck in the lab's mouth, making it impossible to release the collar. My son was home alone, and as hard as he tried to free the dogs, the lab was scared and struggled.

Unfortunately, the smaller dog suffocated, and it took my son and his neighbor to finally free the dogs.

Before you judge my son, know that this happened in a matter of minutes; my son is a very attentive owner; the problem was the inability to free them because the collar was so tightly wound that he couldn't get a knife or scissors or even a box cutter in between to free them and because the lab was struggling and clamping down on my son while he tried to save his beloved dog.

Please, if you have multiple dogs, be sure you have quick release collars - or better yet, don't let them play with their collars on. It still seems like a bad dream.

:huggy:..... I would not judge anyone for this....

this happens alot...

We as GOOD pet owners are always trying to keep them safe..... keep the collars and tags on them in case they get away.... and then something like this happens. So this is a good reason to make sure you pet is microchipped and REGISTERED....

sending :huggy: to your son.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
So sorry to hear this. :huggy:

I am sure your son did everything possible to save the dog.

No judging hear, just prayers for your son.

belvak

Happy Camper
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure your son is beside himself. It was a freak accident that could have happened to anyone. My thoughts and prayers to you all. :huggy:

frequentflier

happy to be living

What a horrible thing to happen. So sorry for the loss of your grandpup.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's just awful.

Only thing I'd add is that I am an advocate of people ALWAYS having a pocket knife on them. It may well not have helped in this case but, there are a MILLION reasons you'd like to have an edge with you, just in your pocket, all the time. THIS IS NOT a criticism, just an observation.

Just awful.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
This happened to us with a pair of Rottie pups many-many years ago. Luckily we were in the yard with the dogs and my husband was able to get a pair of bolt cutters (both had steel link choke chains on) in there to release the pair just in time, the choked pup went limp within minutes and we thought she was dead. I'm so sorry for your son and his little dog - RIP little fellow.

mamatutu

mama to two
I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I am glad you posted because I think it helps a lot to get support from the forum in times like this. :huggy:

Roman

Who would have ever thought something this freakish would happen? I am very sorry about your Grand Pup, and for your Son that had to witness something so terrible.