Office Naval Intelligence Suitland Md -

b23hqb

PREMO Member
My son has received orders for ONI to move about April 2014.. I believe his BAH as a LT is around $2700 per month. Ideas on nice living areas for he and his wife?

Thanks.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I hope he gets base housing.

He and his wife need to look at the support network available for them to PCDS and get recommendations through the military and the spouse groups.

Suitland is not a good place to live and $2700 won't cover much of nothing in the nice DC neighborhoods.

That area is a little far away from "Southern Maryland" to get much information on this forum.

Again, I suggest he and his wife need to check with their available military resources. Housing offices at military installations have referral services.

Office of Naval Intelligence

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Thanks. They are already looking into it, and are quite aware of the demographics of 93.3% minority rate in the immediate 'hood. Stayed at the Navy Lodge in Anacostia/Bolling AFB a few times myself. Where would the nearest base housing be - Bolling/Andrews AFB?

Appreciate your response. I thought somewhere to the southeast of there would be decent

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thanks. They are already looking into it, and are quite aware of the demographics of 93.3% minority rate in the immediate 'hood. Stayed at the Navy Lodge in Anacostia/Bolling AFB a few times myself. Where would the nearest base housing be - Bolling/Andrews AFB?

Appreciate your response. I thought somewhere to the southeast of there would be decent

Moving towards our area would make him have a serious commute and I doubt he'd want that. Nobody wants that.

From the link I provided previously, it looks like Summerfield for an officer, but again, he needs to check with his resources for referred housing off base as well. 1) The military knows who rents fairly and who doesn't within the area and 2) they will want him in a safe area with a decent commute.

Fort Belvoir
Located in Alexandria, VA. Has a limited number of two and four bedroom units available for enlisted personnel only.

Bolling Air Force Base
Located in Southwest Washington, DC. Has three and four bedroom units available for E-5 and below enlisted personnel.

Summerfield Housing
Located in Seat Pleasant, MD (just east of Washington but still inside the Beltway). Summerfield provides housing primarily for Navy and Air Force personnel. There are two and four bedroom units available for E-1 to O-3 service members with dependents. Many ONI personnel ask for this housing area due to its proximity to the command.

Woodbridge Navy Housing
Located in Woodbridge, VA, you may experience a lengthy commute. There are two to four bedroom units available for enlisted personnel and junior officers.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Thanks again. They will probably look to buy something, but go with whatever seems practical. DIL is in the mortgage brokerage business, and they are keen on investing.

CrashTest

I spent a couple weeks at ONI. You have to drive a long way before you're out of the hood. Dunkirk to the south. Alexandria to the west. There's no escape northbound or eastbound

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I know someone that lives in brandywine and commutes to Suitland everyday

Can't really help with housing but I have friends that commute from La Plata and from Stafford to Suitland. The La Plata to Suitland commute is bad but not quite as bad as going into DC. I wouldn't even consider commuting from Stafford. There are commuter buses from both VA and SoMD.

lmwelch

My son has received orders for ONI to move about April 2014.. I believe his BAH as a LT is around $2700 per month. Ideas on nice living areas for he and his wife?

Thanks.

I live in White Plains (Charles County, MD) and commute to ONI daily. It takes me 45 minutes each way. I work with folks who commute from St. Mary's County and Calvert County and they have hour+ commutes (they also come in very early (0630) and leave early (1530-ish) to avoid the heaviest traffic).

If your son chooses a location other than Southern Maryland, Metro might be an option. There's a Metro station right on the Suitland Federal Center which is where ONI is located.

Good luck!

Madam Blue

I have a house in Bryans Road area that may be available early 2014. Not too much of a commute to Suitland area. Three Br, two bath, huge detached garage, 5,000 sqft fenced in garden plot, huge dog kennel, and two acres in the country.

acommondisaster

Southern Maryland also includes Waldorf, La Plata, White Plains, etc. Once you realize the majority of people in the area have about a 45 -80 minute commute, you can find some nice affordable, safe housing. I'd definitely get over the Charles County line, though some of the areas just north of Charles County aren't bad, either, but I can't vouch for schools, property values, etc. The further out they get, the more house they're going to get for their money, of course. There are some nice newer developments around Waldorf, a few in White Plains and just a few more miles away La Plata. I'd kill for a drive from La PLata to ONI.