airports?

NurseSherri

Hi All... I'm wondering what the nearest airports are for traveling to other states.... I have family in Pittsburgh, for example... where would they fly into to come visit me in southern Maryland (California, Hollywood, Leonardtown, etc)?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
From PAXR, BWI is about 83 miles and DCA is about 65 miles. Dulles is even farther, about 90 I believe.

MarieB

My family is in Pittsburgh. If they can make the drive, they are better off doing so rather than flying

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My family is in Pittsburgh. If they can make the drive, they are better off doing so rather than flying
^This

By the time you get to the airport, get parked, shuttle to the terminal, stand in line at security, blah blah, you'd be almost to Pittsburgh anyway. I think the drive is 4, maybe 5 hours - something like that.

MarieB

^This

By the time you get to the airport, get parked, shuttle to the terminal, stand in line at security, blah blah, you'd be almost to Pittsburgh anyway. I think the drive is 4, maybe 5 hours - something like that.

With construction on the turnpike, traffic, and a couple of quick stops it usually takes us about 6-6 1/2 hours. One Friday it took me 8 (note to self, never do that trip on a Friday again unless leaving by 5am ). The GPS plots it out at at a little over 5

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
^This

Closer to 6, but then again I only drive 70mph and above.

It depends on how you go and when.

Sherri, they should drive.

NurseSherri

holy crap!! seriously?!!! I have never been so far from an airport ever!! I'm going to have to fly out to San Diego a few times due to a court issue going on... ohhh noooooo! I'm 25 minutes from the airport in San Diego! CRAP!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
holy crap!! seriously?!!! I have never been so far from an airport ever!! I'm going to have to fly out to San Diego a few times due to a court issue going on... ohhh noooooo! I'm 25 minutes from the airport in San Diego! CRAP!

I am from the Bay Area so I had San Jose, Oakland and SFO to choose from. All within reasonable distance. Here, not so much.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

That really is the worst part about living down here - it's a hassle to escape. :lol:

That really is the worst part about living down here - it's a hassle to escape. :lol:

Very true. Lived in a "little town" that had two daily shuttles to Phoenix. Also to San Diego. Way easier to escape from there than here. I recommend BWI, easy to get to and nice parking. Lots of hotels with shuttles and free parking if you decide to spend the night for an early fight in or out. Oh and the ride into landing at San Diego is pretty cool. Steep descent over some hills. And you also may get some close passes from fighter jocks coming back from training at the Yuma range.

Last edited:

MarieB

I feel your "pain," but you"ll adjust. You can get a rental car here just to go to the airport so you don't have to pay for parking.

I sent you a PM awhile back. i'm not sure if you saw it or not

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My God, you grew up where, East Nostril, Kansas or some such? And it's inconvenient here? Where I grew up epitomized "you can't get there from here".

Hey you, I heard the buggy ride to the fillin' station, to catch a ride on a hay wagon, to get to a bus terminal, to then get an overnight stay at Maggie's House of Corn Fritters, then on to yet another fillin' station, to somewhere they have ONE taxi to take you to the airport, which happens to be a one man operation run by Rod Rugg's English teacher, who so happens to be his own mistress :twitch:, and says " Om takin' ya'll the scenic route (cause I have ta drop 500 gallons o' malathion, for mah shif is ober, snirt (snot on sleeve).

:loveyouvraipleasedontbannishmetoalifewithoutthesewonderfulforums:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I feel your "pain," but you"ll adjust. You can get a rental car here just to go to the airport so you don't have to pay for parking.

I sent you a PM awhile back. i'm not sure if you saw it or not

Depending upon the length of the trip, the one way rental cars are not cost effective vice airport parking.

MarieB

Depending upon the length of the trip, the one way rental cars are not cost effective vice airport parking.

True, I should have mentioned that. I think my husband's rental was something like $30 each way, but that was a corporate rate and he was gone 2 weeks each time.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
True, I should have mentioned that. I think my husband's rental was something like $30 each way, but that was a corporate rate and he was gone 2 weeks each time.

Is he contractor or government? For government it is usually about $45 one way and $90 for the return. It sounds as though she would be renting as a civilian and may not get the government rate.