Charles Comp Plan

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Watching the public hearing on my iPhone. Standing room only in the auditorium. Needless to say, this is essentially election night in Charles County, Maryland.

acommondisaster

It's hilarious. Five elected democrats, disagreeing and people all butt hurt that their agenda is failing to pass and mumbling about voting out "those guys" at election time. As a conservative with no voice in the county looking on, I think it's amusing how dysfunctional this group of 5 democrats are.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
It's hilarious. Five elected democrats, disagreeing and people all butt hurt that their agenda is failing to pass and mumbling about voting out "those guys" at election time. As a conservative with no voice in the county looking on, I think it's amusing how dysfunctional this group of 5 democrats are.

But they have done so much for our county.

Look at all the half empty strip malls they built and the new housing developments all over the county.

Dont forget the cheap property taxes and the brand new recycle trash cans we just got. :yahoo:

acommondisaster

But they have done so much for our county.

Look at all the half empty strip malls they built and the new housing developments all over the county.

Dont forget the cheap property taxes and the brand new recycle trash cans we just got. :yahoo:

And the higher taxes. But we do have a windmill at the Welcome Center!

DipStick

It's not "five Democrats" as much as it is "environmentalists" vs. "development" with one commissioner right in the middle.

I get both sides of the argument - however, it was clear last night where most of the general public stood on this.

spinner

It's not "five Democrats" as much as it is "environmentalists" vs. "development" with one commissioner right in the middle.

I get both sides of the argument - however, it was clear last night where most of the general public stood on this.

So where does most of the general public stand on this?

DipStick

So where does most of the general public stand on this?

Based on the petitions and the number of people who spoke against the plan, it's safe to say the general public doesn't like the current draft plan... though I suspect a large part of that is because the way the plan came about.

The county went through a lot of work to gather citizen input and develop a "merged scenario" plan. The planning commission threw that plan away when the developers complained and then put together a plan the developers wanted. Kind of like the tier maps, when there were four tier maps - the developers didn't like any of the alternatives presented and literally came in to a public hearing and proposed their own plan which ended up being passed by the planning board.

acommondisaster

Based on the petitions and the number of people who spoke against the plan, it's safe to say the general public doesn't like the current draft plan... though I suspect a large part of that is because the way the plan came about.

The county went through a lot of work to gather citizen input and develop a "merged scenario" plan. The planning commission threw that plan away when the developers complained and then put together a plan the developers wanted. Kind of like the tier maps, when there were four tier maps - the developers didn't like any of the alternatives presented and literally came in to a public hearing and proposed their own plan which ended up being passed by the planning board.

I dont know that you can safely say anything. There's one group that's very vocal and active on facebook, and they're the same ones who actively asked for people to show up at the meeting. Both sides promise the same thing - less sprawl, less traffic. Both accuse the other side of the same things, though one side threatens that the state will pull funding and the county will lose its rural setting, though in order to have the light rail they want, we'll need more growth, which the other side says will cause our county to lose its rural setting. Makes me glad we just bought an escape home in PA.

Question for you: Who is the most powerful man in Charles County?

DipStick

I dont know that you can safely say anything. There's one group that's very vocal and active on facebook, and they're the same ones who actively asked for people to show up at the meeting. Both sides promise the same thing - less sprawl, less traffic. Both accuse the other side of the same things, though one side threatens that the state will pull funding and the county will lose its rural setting, though in order to have the light rail they want, we'll need more growth, which the other side says will cause our county to lose its rural setting. Makes me glad we just bought an escape home in PA.

Question for you: Who is the most powerful man in Charles County?

The turning point was when Roberta Wise, at a redistricting public hearing, explained to the parents why they needed to start voicing their frustrations to the board of commissioners. At first, it seemed like she was passing the buck but that got "average citizens" involved.

The "smart growth" crowd - that was 10-15 people who were never going to win. That crowd swelled in to the hundreds because of the frustration over school overcrowding and redistricting. Based on the amount of time I lived and worked in the county, I have to believe that the people who were active on Facebook and vocal, I have to believe that is fairly symbolic of the majority of the county.

The development lobby screwed up. Instead of being a part of the process from the beginning and, at the very least, presenting a narrative that they have an interest in what's best for the entire county, they stormed in to the building and demanded that they get their way. That happened around the same time the outrage over the school redistricting stuff was going on. And that pissed a lot of people off.

Social media is great. It gave "the people" a voice they didn't have for years.

Ken Robinson just posted this bold prediction on Facebook:
Following Tuesday’s Public Hearing on the Charles County Draft Comprehensive Plan, I have received numerous inquiries as to what is next in the process. Here is what I know: A “Work Session” will be on the commissioner’s agenda following the end of the public comment period. That may take place as soon as Wednesday, November 20 or it could slip into early December. What happens there is anyone’s guess. What I feel WILL ultimately happen is that the plan will NOT be approved. Despite the failed motion to reject the plan on Tuesday, I now feel, for the very first time, that the plan is doomed. Stay tuned.