Major Gas Leak Wildewood

phobos512

So sitting over here at Cheseldine and have seen a bunch of fire trucks, HAZMAT and ambulances roll by. Apparently a major gas leak near Wild Iris St. They've got the fire scanner going and that's what they're talking about. Major multidepartment response.

MarieB

I was just searching to find an article about it, and I found that there have been 2 other gas leaks within the past few years.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
This is all about the LNG controversy in Calvert. Meant to reinforce the idea among the non-thinking masses that gas is bad. It'll work. Spread the hysteria.

I'm only half joking.

Caution

I wish we had natural gas here.

I have never had anything that runs off Natural Gas in my home. Have always had either electric or oil.

Nothing against gas but I dunno, I can walk into someone's house who does have gas appliances and can smell it instantly. I may just be one of those that is overly sensitive to it. But chances are, if you have gas and have a pilot light somewhere in your house, I can tell the moment I come through the door. Just not for me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have never had anything that runs off Natural Gas in my home. Have always had either electric or oil.

Nothing against gas but I dunno, I can walk into someone's house who does have gas appliances and can smell it instantly. I may just be one of those that is overly sensitive to it. But chances are, if you have gas and have a pilot light somewhere in your house, I can tell the moment I come through the door. Just not for me.

Most modern gas appliances don't have pilot lights.. in fact I was surprised that our fireplace still used a pilot light..

If you can smell gas though, even from a pilot light, something is out of adjustment.

We smell gas in our house it means our tank is at about 10% or less and we need to call for a.refill.

MarieB

Not discounting your observation

But I would say that you are not typical, as i have never heard that before. With the exception of about 6 years, I've always lived in a home with natural gas and I never detected an odor unless a pilot was out

Caution

Not discounting your observation

But I would say that you are not typical, as i have never heard that before. With the exception of about 6 years, I've always lived in a home with natural gas and I never detected an odor unless a pilot was out

Ya I have always thought I was not typical in this. Otherwise I would suspect that gas appliances would not be as popular as they are.

When I worked on the base I could detect minor gas leaks before anyone else would pick up on them. I could let the Facilities folks know, they would come check it out and not detect anything. I would recommend they call the Fire Dept out with a Gas detector and next thing you know they would be calling Public Works to come change out some fitting or something.

Just have a nose for it I guess. Likely because I really just have not been exposed to it that much in my life on a regular basis.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
Ya I have always thought I was not typical in this. Otherwise I would suspect that gas appliances would not be as popular as they are.

When I worked on the base I could detect minor gas leaks before anyone else would pick up on them. I could let the Facilities folks know, they would come check it out and not detect anything. I would recommend they call the Fire Dept out with a Gas detector and next thing you know they would be calling Public Works to come change out some fitting or something.

Just have a nose for it I guess. Likely because I really just have not been exposed to it that much in my life on a regular basis.

I'm the same way. Even with oil heat. I've been using electric heat since I moved out of my parents house. Anytime I go back and stay I smell fuel.

Caution

Most modern gas appliances don't have pilot lights.. in fact I was surprised that our fireplace still used a pilot light..

If you can smell gas though, even from a pilot light, something is out of adjustment.

We smell gas in our house it means our tank is at about 10% or less and we need to call for a.refill.

Ya usually if I smell something and others don't it drives me crazy. On the base I had even broke out bottles of soapy water and sprayed gas lines on some equipment to try to figure out what is going on. Generally it was a leaky seal, improperly tightened connector, or as you say low pressure on the tank. For gas firplaces it's usually, as you say, most often just needs adjustment.

I have just gotten used to walking in someone's house and smelling it. I used to say something but it just ended up causing some friends to get a little defensive and stating all their appliances were fine. I just kinda got to a point where I don't even mention it anymore even though I pick up on it right away.

mamatutu

mama to two
Ya usually if I smell something and others don't it drives me crazy. On the base I had even broke out bottles of soapy water and sprayed gas lines on some equipment to try to figure out what is going on. Generally it was a leaky seal, improperly tightened connector, or as you say low pressure on the tank. For gas firplaces it's usually, as you say, most often just needs adjustment.

I have just gotten used to walking in someone's house and smelling it. I used to say something but it just ended up causing some friends to get a little defensive and stating all their appliances were fine. I just kinda got to a point where I don't even mention it anymore even though I pick up on it right away.

You are just an amazing all around kind of guy! :yay: The world needs more of you.

Caution

I'm the same way. Even with oil heat. I've been using electric heat since I moved out of my parents house. Anytime I go back and stay I smell fuel.

Only time I really pick up oil heat smell is if the Furnace in the house is very old and needs to be replaced. Quite often the burn box inside the furnace will actually crack and cause the fumes to escape into the ductwork. But generally I don't pick up on oil otherwise.

Editing to include an afterthought. If your folks' furnace is old you might want to suggest they check into what I stated above. I just replaced our 20YO furnace a couple of months ago. I did not replace it specifically because of the oder. I replaced it because it was starting to nickle and dime me on other parts.

But. For the last year or so I did smell the oil odor, especially when it first came on. When they replaced it I was telling the techs about that and they were the ones that told me about the burn box was cracked and the particular model of furnace I had was prone to that happening with age. Worth looking into and at least being aware of. I found it amazing how you can get used to such smells to the point you don't pay that much attention to them anymore. Not a good thing.

Last edited:

MarieB

I have notified the manager at Wal Mart twice that I smelled gas by their heating unit while checking out the red box movies. Both times they called the maintenance guy to check it out. I'll be curious to see if I detect it again. I thought that was disturbing

phobos512

My house at China Lake has a gas stove, gas furnace, gas water heater and a gas clothes dryer. Very efficient. Wish it were everywhere. Pretty rare in this area it would seem from my limited real estate dealings since moving here.