Cracking down on curbstoning?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Noticed a couple of cars for sale today with the fluorescent orange sticker courtesy of MSP (I suspect) on them. At first I thought it was just ChuckCo since I saw a couple up there but I did notice 1 with the same sticker once I got into the Mother County.

I did run across this old article in WaPo:
In S.Md., Curbing Roadside Car Sales (washingtonpost.com)

Just curious if they cracking down again?

Chris0nllyn

A few quotes from the article:

In Virginia, the Independent Automobile Dealers Association is starting a campaign to focus government attention on the pervasiveness of curbstoning and the fact that it drains money from the state because taxes are not collected. "This is a nationwide problem," said Lois Keenan, the association's executive director. "It seems to be just everywhere you turn -- not just business parking lots but private property, particularly along main thoroughfares."

Doesn't VA have property Taxes, and don't you pay taxes on the selling price in MD?

Licensed used-car dealers say individual sellers, especially unauthorized dealers, not only siphon off their business but can also pose a risk to consumers. There is no regulation of the condition of the vehicles, increasing the chances of getting a jalopy without a warranty that breaks down shortly after the sale, or ending up with an odometer that has been turned back, said Tom Hodges, owner of Tom Hodges Auto Sales in St. Mary's County.

"I've had many persons say, 'God, I wish I'd never bought that car, it's mechanically in bad shape,' " he said. Hodges estimated that unlicensed dealer sales account for more than half of the cars sold on the streets in Southern Maryland.

Sounds like Tom doesn't like competition.

I've bought cars from used dealers, and it didn't last a month. the car I bnought from a private person in Nj has been great.

Also, Md has state inspections before you can get 2 year tags.

What a crock.

CrashTest

Yea - and they know all they have to do is mention "tax revenue" and the govt's ears perk up.

With the Internet, I can't imagine how the mom and pop used car dealerships can stay in business. Within 60 seconds, I can search the entire nation for the type of used car I'm looking for.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
A few quotes from the article:

Doesn't VA have property Taxes, and don't you pay taxes on the selling price in MD?

Sounds like Tom doesn't like competition.

I've bought cars from used dealers, and it didn't last a month. the car I bnought from a private person in Nj has been great.

Also, Md has state inspections before you can get 2 year tags.

What a crock.

You pay taxes on cars from private sellers. What's the difference?

glhs837

Power with Control
There's extra taxes when you buy from a dealership, I guess. But you all know that buying from a private person isn't quite the same as curbstoning, right? That's when someone does basically full time used car sales under the table. Since they are already illegal, the incentive and the ability to pull shady tricks is far above what the ordinary used car seller might do.

garyt27

INAFJ
I think Md. has a "hobbyist" clause whereas you can sell 8 vehicles without getting permits and such.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the Independent Automobile Dealers Association is starting a campaign to focus government attention on the pervasiveness of curbstoning and the fact that it drains money from the state because taxes are not collected.

I don't know 'THEY' are talking about ..... you tag a 'new' vehicle @ the DMV and homer behind the counter wants a BoS .... or you get charged TAX on the Blue Book Value

or a minimum of $ 500 [unless it went up] IIRC

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Curbstoning - a term I have not heard of until now. So be it.

If it is a "nationwide" problem because of taxes not being collected on private sales, good .

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
You pay taxes on cars from private sellers. What's the difference?

I'd like to know why, mother Russia, er, I mean Maryland, charges a sales tax on a vehicle, every time it changes hands! Do other states do this?

I'm going to look up the pros and cons between our (The Republic of Maryland) taxing system and VIrginia's property tax on vehicles.

GOD, how I wish I had done more research before I bought a home.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Florida collects when you go to change the title. Really no way around it if you want a title in your name. So the trick is to low ball massively the sale price to the tax collector only.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'd like to know why, mother Russia, er, I mean Maryland, charges a sales tax on a vehicle, every time it changes hands! Do other states do this?

I'm going to look up the pros and cons between our (The Republic of Maryland) taxing system and VIrginia's property tax on vehicles.

Well, I paid sales tax on my 2006 car when I bought it, and don't have to pay tax again. VA, you get to pay every year. IF you are a new every two kinda person, then MD might get you worse. Which reminds me, I have to see how much tax I'll have to pay on the 1988 Samurai I was gifted. :) Havent done the paperwork since it needs an engine swap prior to getting it's historic tags:)

glhs837

Power with Control
Funny, oddly enough, it prices out (well, as a 1990, cant find a pricing tool that goes back to 88:)) at right at what I paid for the Geo, about $700 :)

Caution

Noticed a couple of cars for sale today with the fluorescent orange sticker courtesy of MSP (I suspect) on them. At first I thought it was just ChuckCo since I saw a couple up there but I did notice 1 with the same sticker once I got into the Mother County.

Give them time. Yard Sales will be next.

phobos512

I don't know 'THEY' are talking about ..... you tag a 'new' vehicle @ the DMV and homer behind the counter wants a BoS .... or you get charged TAX on the Blue Book Value

or a minimum of $ 500 [unless it went up] IIRC

The minimum MVA tax is $100. If you're registering a vehicle brought out of state you pay the difference in tax rate, or if the rate where the car was bought was higher, you pay $100. Done it twice in the last week. The rules get more convoluted if the vehicle is 7 years old or older; I forget how those work (both of mine are basically new and from higher tax CA).

MadDogMarine

Give them time. Yard Sales will be next.

People need to reclaim this LOST constitutional right perverted by the courts and govt's in the NAME of SAFETY and tax revenue generation.
U.S. Const. Art. I, § 10 ("No State shallpass any Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts.

Freedom to contract has been the cornerstone of American prosperity. Americans have built their wealth by engaging in trillions of private transactions for the mutual benefit of all parties, as well as society at large.
The government, and those who rely on it, has always been inherently hostile to the private right to contract. Government regulators, for example, are devoted to interfering with this right in order to advance a purported governmental interest. Taxation on the proceeds from private contracts often destroys the benefits provided.
The framers of the United States Constitution recognized how essential the right to contract is to freedom and economic prosperity. They expressly prohibited interference with private contracts in the original Constitution, prior even to passage of the Bill of Rights.(1) The Bill of Rights themselves likewise included such protection in the Fifth Amendment.(2) In the aftermath of the Civil War, Congress and the States once again affirmed this right by including it in the Fourteenth Amendment.(3)

Judicial Interference With the Right to Contract | Hacienda Publishing

bcp

In My Opinion

go ahead and check VA
unless it changed since I lived in Va Bch, you pay personal property tax on the assessed value of your car every year.

BOP

Florida collects when you go to change the title. Really no way around it if you want a title in your name. So the trick is to low ball massively the sale price to the tax collector only.

It used to be that way in California, but they got wise to that. The cheery folks at the DMV pull out their blue books, and old car estimators and value anything private sale. You don't get to tell them what you paid for it, because they don't care.

glhs837

Power with Control
It used to be that way in California, but they got wise to that. The cheery folks at the DMV pull out their blue books, and old car estimators and value anything private sale. You don't get to tell them what you paid for it, because they don't care.

Yep, in MD they go by what you paid or the book value, whichever is higher.

dave1959

You are aware that this article is from...2004..???? It does seem like I see these stickers every once in a while.
I got one once and it was from the county not state..