Health Care around California area...

NurseSherri

Ok, I'm not looking for a political debate here, but I am going to need to buy health insurance probably for a few months before I end up getting a job with health benefits... I'm wondering how the health care is around California/Leonardtown. And what about the local health insurance options? I haven't dared go onto the national website...

BernieP

Resident PIA
Don't know about any state or private plans but you could contact MedStar or Shah Associates. Medstar runs the hospital and a number of medical practices and if they don't there is a good chance it's affiliated with the Shahs.

officeguy

Maryland is operating its own exchange which by all accounts is working as advertised.

Try to get a plan with Carefirst (Blue cross Blue Shield). Network coverage for Aetna/Cigna/United is thin in somd.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I avoid the Shah's.

Which limits your choices severely
I'm not a big fan, mostly because the customer service part SUCKS
It's not the doctors so much as the people that you have to deal with at the office and on the phone.

MarieB

I avoid the Shah's.

I'm happy with Dr Gala for the kids. I really like his approach, but the office staff is mediocre (perhaps it's what they have to deal with?!)

Hollywood Medical center has been good for me so far

dgates80

Land of the lost
I avoid the Shah's.

Yeah, what's up with no f-ing EMAIL in the Shah offices? No wifi, no email to confirm appointments, nothing. AND no cell signal on top of that at the Bean facility. I mean, i use the interwebz to look up procedures, drugs, etc. that the doc proposes to learn about what they wanna do to me. Mobile computing ... IPad, phones etc... Is a fact of life. IMHO not having wifi and email access to office staff and practitioners borders on malpractice in context.

Grrrrr.