Air Duct Cleaning

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Who do you recommend? We've done a lot of construction on our home these past few years and have pets. I'm thinking it may be time for a good thorough cleaning. Thanks!

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I want to get my ducts cleaned out too, but it has to be affordable and not some :faint: price.

I know what you mean. It's so much easier to spend money on something you actually see and enjoy, like a new couch, a wine fridge or a TV. But I guess I should make our air quality a priority too. :ohwell:

C

czygvtwkr

Something to think about if the dust isnt normally blown out by the furnace it is in there pretty good and likely won't come lose. When you have them cleaned alot can be dislodged that doesnt get sucked up by the cleaner that can get blown out right after they cleaned it.

My old building at work got the ducts cleaned because there was a mold problem in them, after they were cleaned several people got respiratory problems and had to be moved into another building.

cregardener

Who do you recommend? We've done a lot of construction on our home these past few years and have pets. I'm thinking it may be time for a good thorough cleaning. Thanks!

Your HVAC system should be filtering this out of your air already. In general, IMO duct cleaning is a scam. Pull your floor registers, return grill, etc and actually look into your duct system before you call someone out. If you see funky junk like mold growing in your duct work, then it's probably worth it.

If you're going to call someone, call your HVAC contractor out and have them do preventative maintenance on your whole system. That's a better bang for your buck. When asked about filters, my HVAC guy told me to just buy the cheap blue ones and spray them LIGHTLY with endust to trap the small particles. The super duper expensive filters just get clogged faster.

BTW, I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and have been doing extensive home improvements (dust and hairballs galore) and I simply changed out my filters a bit faster.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
When asked about filters, my HVAC guy told me to just buy the cheap blue ones and spray them LIGHTLY with endust to trap the small particles. The super duper expensive filters just get clogged faster.

I will have to try this.
Thanks for the tip.

acommondisaster

The guy that did the home inspection when my son bought his house said the same thing - buy the cheap filters. Didn't know about the endust trick, but I'm going to try that.

H

Hodr

If you're going to call someone, call your HVAC contractor out and have them do preventative maintenance on your whole system. That's a better bang for your buck.

Any recommendations? Going on my third winter in this house and while the system seems to be working, I have never had anyone out to inspect it.

cregardener

Any recommendations? Going on my third winter in this house and while the system seems to be working, I have never had anyone out to inspect it.

I've been with Advanced Troubleshooters out of Owings since 2005. 410-257-3726 Had a part go bad when the indoor unit was just out of warranty and the owner replaced it at no charge.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Your HVAC system should be filtering this out of your air already. In general, IMO duct cleaning is a scam. Pull your floor registers, return grill, etc and actually look into your duct system before you call someone out. If you see funky junk like mold growing in your duct work, then it's probably worth it.

If you're going to call someone, call your HVAC contractor out and have them do preventative maintenance on your whole system. That's a better bang for your buck. When asked about filters, my HVAC guy told me to just buy the cheap blue ones and spray them LIGHTLY with endust to trap the small particles. The super duper expensive filters just get clogged faster.

BTW, I have 2 dogs, 2 cats and have been doing extensive home improvements (dust and hairballs galore) and I simply changed out my filters a bit faster.
:yeahthat:

I had it done years ago. House had a musty odor. Don't remember what it cost but was a total waste of money.

All they did was connect a large vacuum to the duct system and sucked it out. I saw no difference at all.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
:yeahthat:

I had it done years ago. House had a musty odor. Don't remember what it cost but was a total waste of money.

All they did was connect a large vacuum to the duct system and sucked it out. I saw no difference at all.

Thanks for the heads up!