Mikes food fund needs bus drivers now

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Mike’s Food Fund Christmas dinner deliveries since September. He’s frustrated because every year people forget that he deals with Christmas dinners, not Thanksgiving dinners. He also says that he has been receiving requests earlier than normal, and he’s thinking that the need for the dinners will be greater than ever this year.

But right now, the thing that makes him the most angry — the most frustrated — is that it is illegal for him to drive the big green bus sitting in the parking lot in front of his business. It’s a bus he has been driving for 10 years up and down the East Coast as he ferries BMX riders whom he sponsors to competitions.

The bus is also integral to the collection, storage and distribution process for Mike’s Food Fund’s Christmas dinner effort.

Several weeks ago, Schwartz was driving his bus and a state trooper pulled him over and told him he didn’t have the right kind of license.

The timing could hardly have been worse to be taken off the road. His BMX racers missed several races after that and now he is heading straight into the busy weeks leading up to his Christmas meals delivery for Mike’s Food Fund. He throws a bolt to the floor in frustration as he describes the situation.

“It just aggravates me,” he said. “You try to help people, and the state of Maryland tries to stab you in the back.”

Schwartz says there isn’t enough time for him to get a different driver’s license before Mike’s Food Fund needs to be in full swing. “It’s not right ... One state trooper interprets the rules differently, and I’ve got this huge hassle on my hands.”

During the past three decades, Schwartz has helped thousands of people have something with which to celebrate the season. Last year alone, he and his army of volunteers put together and delivered 1,850 meals in the county.

Now, Schwartz needs people to help him. It’s not a position with which he is very comfortable, he said.

“What do I need? I need bus drivers!” he said loudly. In addition to the volunteers and financial donations (approximately $30,000 altogether) that he needs every year in order to put together and deliver the dinners, now Schwartz needs bus drivers for hours each evening from roughly 4 to 8 p.m. or later from Dec. 14 to 24. All he needs are licensed drivers. He will supply the bus.

“It was so much easier when I could just drive the bus,” he said to himself.

“Mike is phenomenal,” said the Rev. Kenneth Moore, senior pastor at Zion United Methodist Church, a longtime partner in the Mike’s Food Fund project. The church serves as a staging point for dinner for part of the time leading up to Christmas. And many members of the church have been involved in the effort for years, Moore said.

“It’s a mandate that we are our brothers’ and sisters’ keeper,” Moore said Tuesday, explaining his church’s support for Mike’s Food Fund. “There are so many people that are marginalized and in need. It’s a chance to give back to the community.”

Moore noted that the effort requires a huge number of volunteers and that new volunteers can easily get involved. “Anyone who wants to come out is welcome,” he said.

Especially bus drivers.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
I wish it was that easy but they are going by the weight of the bus when it was a school bus.There not going with what it weights now.

garyt27

INAFJ
If you take out the seats you will only need a CDL class b, but not passenger endorsement. You might need air brake endorsement.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
I was on the bus when this all went down we where only three miles from the bike shop she would even Mike drive it back to the shop Mike asked her even it you fellow me back to the shop she said there was no way she was going let drive it back to the shop the three miles.

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
She pulled him over for speeding she said she had doing 50 something in a 40 I have to ???? the speed where she got him at.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She pulled him over for speeding she said she had doing 50 something in a 40 I have to ???? the speed where she got him at.

You'd think, based on his history of holiday food delivery, he'd be able to get a CDL license expedited. Where do you do that, up in Ltown or somewhere else?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Sorry yes a CDL plus it still has seats in so they are still calling a bus.

Not sure about MD, but the CDL license didn't apply for a privately owned bus in PA.. I drove the bus a couple of summers for my daughters Drum Corps, and they thought the CDL was required also until I volunteered to drive and asked them to research it.

How do the churches do it??

mitzi

I was on the bus when this all went down we where only three miles from the bike shop she would even Mike drive it back to the shop Mike asked her even it you fellow me back to the shop she said there was no way she was going let drive it back to the shop the three miles.

What a bunch of BS. I sure hope he gets the help he needs.

MarieB

Not sure about MD, but the CDL license didn't apply for a privately owned bus in PA.. I drove the bus a couple of summers for my daughters Drum Corps, and they thought the CDL was required also until I volunteered to drive and asked them to research it.

How do the churches do it??

Yep, was thinking about the churches too

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Update on Mikes Bikes Food Fund

Well Mike got all of the meals out this year he gave out 2101 meals this year.