best way to Baltimore from Lexington park

mollee

I'm leaving from Lexington Park to Baltimore early tomorrow morning at 6:45am.

Do you think I'm going to hit massive traffic on 495 N to 95N?

I saw on mapquest that I might be able to go 301N to 97N? Is this a better (less traffic) alternative during that time?

Thanks.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by mollee
I'm leaving from Lexington Park to Baltimore early tomorrow morning at 6:45am.

Do you think I'm going to hit massive traffic on 495 N to 95N?

I saw on mapquest that I might be able to go 301N to 97N? Is this a better (less traffic) alternative during that time?

Thanks.
Either way you will hit major traffic:biggrin:

RPM

your best route....

take route 4 north all the way to 301n. follow 301 as it turns into route 3 and goes through bowie and then crofton. after you get through crofton, route 3 feeds right onto 97n.

take 97n to 695w. follow 695w until you hit 295n. it will take you into baltimore right by camden yards. (orioles stadium.)

i have taken this route many times. it is the fastest way, with the least traffic.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
We always go up 97 - much less traffic usually than 95. We went up Friday night to Columbia and didn't hit much traffic -- except down here.

RPM

by the way...

dont follow the traffic signs for 97 when you are on 301. they have them set up to make people take the long way around instead of going through crofton.

donbarzini

RPM is right. The 1st time you will see 97 is right by the Baysox stadium. IGNORE that one and stay on 301/3 to the "end" when it feeds right into 97. Then 695 to 295(B/W Pkwy)

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: your best route....

Originally posted by RPM
take route 4 north all the way to 301n. follow 301 as it turns into route 3 and goes through bowie and then crofton. after you get through crofton, route 3 feeds right onto 97n.

take 97n to 695w. follow 695w until you hit 295n. it will take you into baltimore right by camden yards. (orioles stadium.)
:yeahthat:

Drove that route many times myself. Things get a little slow thru Bowie and Crofton but the rest isn't too bad.

Re: your best route....

Originally posted by RPM

I have taken this route many times. it is the fastest way, with the least traffic.
I went to school in Towson, so I am VERY familiar with the traffic going to Baltimore. I now work in Silver Spring, so I know the beltway traffic getting to 95 North. I suggest you mostly go the way RPM said. Avoid 495/95 like the plague. Leaving at 6:45 from the park, you are gonna hit big ol butt loads of traffic, no matter how you go. I would either go Rt. 4 to Rt. 2 to Annapolis to 97 (very few lights once you leave P.F., but can be lots of traffic on 4/2) this is the way I would go, or go straight up 5 to 301. If you go up 5, you may want to concider going the back way from Hughesville to 301 (right on 231, left on 381, straight to 301 in Brandywine) to avoid the backup on 5 between Waldorf and the 5/301 split.

willie

It doesn't look like it on a map but taking rt 2 to Annapolis to Aris Allen Blvd then rt 97 is the same distance as going rt 301. Rt. 301 in the morning rush and the Annapolis rt 2 coming home at night has been the most reliable to me. 495/95 is unreliable any time.

Last edited:

mollee

thank you

Thank you all for your help. We took 4 to 301 to 97 to 695... Aside from an accident on 4 that set us back 15 minutes, the only stretch that was really bad was on 301/3 thru Croften. It was bumper to bumper going like 1 mile/hour. That took us about 20-30 to get thru, other than that, everywhere else was smooth sailing.

The whole trip (okay, including a McDonald's drive-thru stop) took us about 3 hours....

thanks again.

Re: thank you

Originally posted by mollee
Thank you all for your help. We took 4 to 301 to 97 to 695... Aside from an accident on 4 that set us back 15 minutes, the only stretch that was really bad was on 301/3 thru Croften. It was bumper to bumper going like 1 mile/hour. That took us about 20-30 to get thru, other than that, everywhere else was smooth sailing.

The whole trip (okay, including a McDonald's drive-thru stop) took us about 3 hours....

thanks again.
All the lights up to and thru croften is why I suggested taking 4 to 2 towards annapolis. I hate that stretch of road.