"If you love your job,....

Your Workday--labor or joy?

• Couldn't be much happier,...love my job.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Satisfied, work is smooth, no major complaints.

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Looking forward to a change, generally unsatisfying

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Ball & chain, a grind,...dread waking up...I'd leave tomorrow.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Stay-at-home/unemployed/retired.-Loving it

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Stay-at-home/unemployed/retired--wish I was at work.

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hessian

you'll never work a day in your life." (old adage)

I am curious if your opinion of work has shifted in the recent years.

Hessian

Slight shift...

Since I have been in front of the chalkboard for 28 years,...I used to find a sense of fulfillment in teaching,...now:, um, no.

I have to get up & walk around a bit while grading papers-it is maddening to realize how much they do not understand despite having all the resources available to them. It appears that some revel in stupidity,...and like it that way.

add to that...the amount of cheating.

add to that... the accommodations we are supposed to make for those who have some slight difficulties but are mostly LAZY.

add to that... a generally unappreciative & unimaginative administration. (Boy does the word NO come flying out at the slightest innovation).

add to that ...a salary that has not moved in YEARS.

add to that...colleagues who really put very little effort into work and really may NOT belong in the classroom.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Since I have been in front of the chalkboard for 28 years,...I used to find a sense of fulfillment in teaching,...now:, um, no.

I have to get up & walk around a bit while grading papers-it is maddening to realize how much they do not understand despite having all the resources available to them. It appears that some revel in stupidity,...and like it that way.

add to that... the accommodations we are supposed to make for those who have some slight difficulties but are mostly LAZY.

add to that... a generally unappreciative & unimaginative administration. (Boy does the word NO come flying out at the slightest innovation).

add to that...colleagues who really put very little effort into work and really may NOT belong in the classroom.

Liberalism and PC getting to ya a bit, eh?

Sounds like it's time for you to retire if possible, and either kick back and live or find another job you may like better.:buddies:

TPD

the poor dad

As I was reading the article in today's Enterprise about the concerns of parents with kids with some type/any type of disability and how the new testing procedures may or may not accommodate them, all I could think was "Wow!". I feel for ya Hessian.

But to the topic of the thread, I enjoy what I do, hence I do not work. I tell people all the time that my job is a hobby!

Pete

Repete

This facinates me. No time now but would love to explore it more later.

First question:
Is this reveling in stupidity new or always there you just are tiring of it?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
One other choice not in the poll: I'm grateful to have a job and I'm willing to roll with the punches

mAlice

professional daydreamer
One other choice not in the poll: I'm grateful to have a job and I'm willing to roll with the punches

First, I'm grateful to have a job. I know how lucky I am. I left my last job with no prospects. I had to, my job was killing me. That company was killing me. Every morning before I left the house, I lost 5 lbs. I won't go into how. I had the shakes, and I had become so unhappy that I didn't want to be around anyone.

I was very fortunate that DoWhat passed my resume to someone looking for someone with my skills and background. After being out of work for two weeks, and two interviews, I started working for a great company, with a lot of really great people.

I won't say that it's not work, because it is. Had I hit the lottery, I'd be helping to find my replacement, and I'd be buying into the company. Since I didn't hit the lottery, I'm happy to say, most days I look forward to work. I'm human, so I have days that I don't want to go in, but that's not because I don't like it. It's because I don't wanna' get out of bed, or I'd rather spend the day with my grandson, or stay home and bake cookies. But it's never because I don't like my job, or the people I work with.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I love my job...I love my job...I love my job.... I repeat this every day.

Actually, I DO love my job.
Though as I get older, the words "retirement" sound enticing. Chances are good, though, after a few years off, I would probably start another business or go back to driving truck (eehaw!)

Last edited:

Severa

Common sense ain't common
I work as a teachers aide in a middle school community based classroom. We work with special needs kids to help them reach their full potential and prepare them for high school. It can be mentally draining some days, of course, every job has their good days and bad days. But the kids themselves are great in their own special ways and I work with some really great people.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I work as a teachers aide in a middle school community based classroom. We work with special needs kids to help them reach their full potential and prepare them for high school. It can be mentally draining some days, of course, every job has their good days and bad days. But the kids themselves are great in their own special ways and I work with some really great people.

You sound like you are really good at what you do. You have a lot more patience and understanding than most people do. I hope the parents of these special needs kids appreciate you :yay:

mamatutu

mama to two

Keep up the good fight. You are appreciated. You, and the few old school teachers that are left may postpone a common core takeover before their projected end date. Maybe, you will start a movement, and get things back to the original intention of America. Thank you.

I have an original McGuffey Reader that belonged to my Great Great Grandmother; published 1866. If kids today would try to read and negotiate that book, their heads would explode! They would never be able to comprehend it. That is how far our country has come. :sarcasm:

Part of the preface is: "As it is designed for advanced pupils, most of the means adopted in the other volumes for aiding the learner, such as Questions, Spelling, &c., are here dispersed with, and the student is left with his own judgment.

Wow. Hopefully, current students remain true to their own judgment, and don't become indoctrinated. Thank you, Hessian, for this thread.

Last edited:

corollinout

At this point I would rather be unemployed. Not only am I under paid for the position I hold but they can't seem to follow the law and pay my child support on time. There is so much more that doesn`t get done, I wouldn`t be surprised to be unemployed next year because they can`t follow the contract terms with the client.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
At this point I would rather be unemployed. Not only am I under paid for the position I hold but they can't seem to follow the law and pay my child support on time. There is so much more that doesn`t get done, I wouldn`t be surprised to be unemployed next year because they can`t follow the contract terms with the client.

Screw all the bullcrap. You could make a living on your photography. :smile:

Shutout

I like my job most of the time, and dislike like it just enough to call it a job. But if it didn't have some really tough days they would pay me less.

I work shift work and have for 20 years. Some of my family members never get used to it but I have and for the most part like the schedule.

Hessian

A bit surprised!

I am encouraged that such a large portion have a good view of their work/career.

Naturally I am curious if that satisfaction is partially due to the "Maryland Bubble" around DC. (job security & pay).

Would I be on target saying the benefits for most are being steadily cut?

How about retirement packages?

I appreciate the candor of this group.....:buddies:

Caution

I have an odd job as compared to most. Set my own hours and set my own pay. Am asked to step in when the efforts of others don't get the job done. Most often I am under a deadline but the reward comes from meeting that deadline.

When I am finished with a job, the people that pay me appreciate what I did and call me again when the times comes. And it will come.

I don't think I will ever retire as I meet many great people, enjoy what I do, and have been able to network myself into some very good associations.

Hank

my war
I have an odd job as compared to most. Set my own hours and set my own pay. Am asked to step in when the efforts of others don't get the job done. Most often I am under a deadline but the reward comes from meeting that deadline.

When I am finished with a job, the people that pay me appreciate what I did and call me again when the times comes. And it will come.

I don't think I will ever retire as I meet many great people, enjoy what I do, and have been able to network myself into some very good associations.

You sell weed?