Student life at Chopticon HS?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Any input? My son will be in 10th grade there in the fall. Any drug use/huffing issues? I know all schools have SOME of this, but wondered what it was here. He plays football, and runs track, does anyone know when tryouts/signups for these sports are?

Also, so they offer drivers Ed? If not, what are the area companies that do?
Thanks!

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by happyappygirl
Also, so they offer drivers Ed? If not, what are the area companies that do?
Thanks!

Maryland public schools haven't offered drivers ed for more than a decade. During the state's budget troubles in the early '90s, all subsidies for drivers ed (which went to the public schools and the private driving schools) were cut. The driving schools simply hiked their fees, while the public schools felt it wasn't right to charge students $180 or so to learn to drive.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
drivers ed fees

lst time we paid it was for his 19 y/o sister, 3 years ago, and it was over 300.00 THEN...egads. :frown:

DE still offers it:burning:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

Originally posted by Tonio
Maryland public schools haven't offered drivers ed for more than a decade. During the state's budget troubles in the early '90s, all subsidies for drivers ed (which went to the public schools and the private driving schools) were cut. The driving schools simply hiked their fees, while the public schools felt it wasn't right to charge students $180 or so to learn to drive.

Not quite a decade ago but thanks.... I'm only 24 and you made me feel old. I took it in school in 95.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

Originally posted by pixiegirl
Not quite a decade ago but thanks.... I'm only 24 and you made me feel old. I took it in school in 95.

I'm 37, and you make ME feel old when you insist that someone born in 1979 is old enough to be an adult.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

Originally posted by Tonio
I'm 37, and you make ME feel old when you insist that someone born in 1979 is old enough to be an adult.

It's a biatch isn't it. I was at the dr's office yesterday and some girl was in there talking to her mom about "Senior Week". When she walked in I thought she was like 13. :bawl:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

It's a biatch isn't it. I was at the dr's office yesterday and some girl was in there talking to her mom about "Senior Week". When she walked in I thought she was like 13. :bawl:
Was she visibly pregnant, or just there for a checkup? When I went to childbirth class there was a girl there who couldn't have been a day over 14 (didn't just look young, but acted young and was treated like a kid by her mom). When we were watching the video of someone giving birth she kept squirming and commenting about how gross it was to her mom, to which she replied "You should've thought of that about 8 months ago young lady". Pretty funny stuff.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

Originally posted by Nickel
When we were watching the video of someone giving birth she kept squirming and commenting about how gross it was to her mom, to which she replied "You should've thought of that about 8 months ago young lady". Pretty funny stuff.

Thats funny as hell :biggrin:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Was she visibly pregnant, or just there for a checkup? to childbirth class there was a girl there who couldn't have been a day over 14 (didn't just look young, but acted young and was treated like a kid by her mom).

Odds are, the baby's father is much older. I wonder if the girl's mom ever feels like shoving that man's tool into a wood chipper, while it's still attached.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Was she visibly pregnant, or just there for a checkup? When I went to childbirth class there was a girl there who couldn't have been a day over 14 (didn't just look young, but acted young and was treated like a kid by her mom). When we were watching the video of someone giving birth she kept squirming and commenting about how gross it was to her mom, to which she replied "You should've thought of that about 8 months ago young lady". Pretty funny stuff.

No she wasn't that young and she wasn't pregnant (at least not visibly). I'm guessing they were there for birth control before Senior Week.

I went to highschool with a girl that had a kid already (freshman year this was) and was pregnant again by the end of the school year.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

I went to highschool with a girl that had a kid already (freshman year this was) and was pregnant again by the end of the school year.

Bet she was popular!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Student life at Chopticon HS?

No she wasn't that young and she wasn't pregnant (at least not visibly). I'm guessing they were there for birth control before Senior Week.

I went to middle school with a girl who was pregnant at the end of 8th grade, and had that kind and 2 others by the same guy in high school. Guess her daddy didn't have a shotgun :lol:

K

Kizzy

I would have gotten as far as saying I'm pre... and my dad would have shot me. Gezz, 8th grade. I thought it was terrible that we had a few 11th graders having babies.

K

Kain99

I have two children at Chopticon and one on his way.... It's an incredible school! I have loved every single minute of the last three years! (well, most of em) If you talk to anyone, in this area they all agree Chopticon shames the other High Schools.

Awesome Administration and great football coaches! My sons play football too. Be sure to enroll your son in the Parks and Rec Football Camp that starts in July. The coaches at Chopticon run it and it makes the season run much smoother for the boys.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Kain

Now THAT's GREAT info!! Thanks! Are your kids in the Awanas (sp?) youth group? I understand it's very active. :smile:

I also got some my hands on some drug use comparison info from 2002-03 if anyone is interested....
Chopticon was (about) 2% higher than the state avg. for stuff like huffing and mary-jane, but considerably lower than where we are moving from and we are moving from one of the richest counties on the Eastern Shore!

Any suggestions for the best second grade teacher at Oakville? My little one is very sweet, and needs a *nice* positive motivation type teacher to excel.

~happy~
Who doesn't like to dwell on the negative but focuses on the positive...

CMC122

Go Braves!
Re: Kain

Originally posted by happyappygirl
Now THAT's GREAT info!! Thanks! Are your kids in the Awanas (sp?) youth group? I understand it's very active. :smile:

I also got some my hands on some drug use comparison info from 2002-03 if anyone is interested....
Chopticon was (about) 2% higher than the state avg. for stuff like huffing and mary-jane, but considerably lower than where we are moving from and we are moving from one of the richest counties on the Eastern Shore!

Any suggestions for the best second grade teacher at Oakville? My little one is very sweet, and needs a *nice* positive motivation type teacher to excel.

~happy~
Who doesn't like to dwell on the negative but focuses on the positive...
Mrs. Beall at Oakville:wink: My niece had her and loved her. Or Ms. Stefko she is great too:dance:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
My son just finished driving school.
$275 at Moores Driving school.
You need to call and be put on a waiting list.