Fresh Fish?

RidgeChick

Being a local chick, I can get all the fresh rock/blue/flounder I want (as they are available) - BUT -- wanting fresh tuna, orange roughy, salmon, etc...I am not very impressed with Giant's selection or any of the local stores, to be honest. Is there a fresh fish market anywhere nearby? Or has anyone ordered from an online vendor?
Any advice/suggestions welcome...Thanks in advance....

Chris0nllyn

Probably way out of your way, but Bayfish Market in Dunkirk (Calvert County) always has a few fresh fish for sale.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Being a local chick, I can get all the fresh rock/blue/flounder I want (as they are available) - BUT -- wanting fresh tuna, orange roughy, salmon, etc...I am not very impressed with Giant's selection or any of the local stores, to be honest. Is there a fresh fish market anywhere nearby? Or has anyone ordered from an online vendor?
Any advice/suggestions welcome...Thanks in advance....

would be very leery of FRESH fish. We have gotten away from anything that’s not label wild caught! BJ tuna and Salmon Wild caught are Ok, Sorry to say that’s all we have around here. Capt Smith used to carry wild fish. Everything that is wild caught is pretty much processed on the boat and flash frozen, as good as you can get I guess.

bmllyon

Where do you get your local fresh fish from? I am very leary of any fresh fish. But would love some blue or rock fish. Thanks.

mitzi

Where do you get your local fresh fish from? I am very leary of any fresh fish. But would love some blue or rock fish. Thanks.

Try Crabknockers in Leonardtown. I was in there today and they had quite a bit of fresh fish but I didn't pay attention to what kind it was. Worth it to check.

would be very leery of FRESH fish. We have gotten away from anything that’s not label wild caught! BJ tuna and Salmon Wild caught are Ok, Sorry to say that’s all we have around here. Capt Smith used to carry wild fish. Everything that is wild caught is pretty much processed on the boat and flash frozen, as good as you can get I guess.

Nope. Not bad, but not close. When I go to OBX I buy tuna or Mahi in season. Beats the heck out of the frozen stuff.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Nope. Not bad, but not close. When I go to OBX I buy tuna or Mahi in season. Beats the heck out of the frozen stuff.

sure ok, and you go to OBX once a week to get your FRESH fish... Or do you bring back SH1t loads and freeze it? I try to eat fish often and it's the best i can find, so what is your solution for eatting some fresh fish tomorrow? :buddies: BJ did have some small Mah wild the other day, they were ok as i said, sure i love fresh fresh fresh too, but !!!!!

koan00

Have you tried asking Kellams? They can get non-local stuff too. A friend of mine says he makes sushi w/ it. Assume it must be fresh.

RidgeChick

I assumed Paul could only get local fish, so will call him later on......but I have also been advised that the new fancy McKays on Hollywood/Leonardtown road is worth a shot. Thanks everyone! I had also totally forgot CrabKnockers!!

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
I assumed Paul could only get local fish, so will call him later on......but I have also been advised that the new fancy McKays on Hollywood/Leonardtown road is worth a shot. Thanks everyone! I had also totally forgot CrabKnockers!!

good lord, thats the LAST place i'd go for seafood. Search the forums and you'll find storys on Mckays expired food etc...

RidgeChick

good lord, thats the LAST place i'd go for seafood. Search the forums and you'll find storys on Mckays expired food etc...
I knew that about the regular McKays - bought rotten orange juice there once!! Ick!! But was thinking the 'gourmet' might be better? no??

sure ok, and you go to OBX once a week to get your FRESH fish... Or do you bring back SH1t loads and freeze it? I try to eat fish often and it's the best i can find, so what is your solution for eatting some fresh fish tomorrow? :buddies: BJ did have some small Mah wild the other day, they were ok as i said, sure i love fresh fresh fresh too, but !!!!!

Even the fresh down there is better when I take it home and freeze it. Don't keep it frozen very long though. And no I just bring back what has just been brought in.

OldHillcrestGuy

Might check Foxy Fish in Mechcanicsville. They have a little fish market on one side and the restaurant on the other. We were there couple weeks ago, the wife asked about different fish other then what they had and they can order it if they dont have it.