Twin Beaches Library = The bum hangout

steppinthrax

Every time I go in here, you see smelly homeless dudes in the back. They sometime sleep and start to snore. They smell like a combination of alcohol, ass, urine, tobacco and feces.

WTF

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Every time I go in here, you see smelly homeless dudes in the back. They sometime sleep and start to snore. They smell like a combination of alcohol, ass, urine, tobacco and feces.

WTF

Go to Panera Bread.

People will tell you to go to your library. :coffee:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Well now, that's very interesting. I go there a fair amount and I've never seen anything like what you're describing. I've only seen friendly library folk.

On another note, public libraries are a haven for all sorts of people -- the unemployed who can use the computers for free to job hunt, the students doing research for school projects, senior citizens looking for information, children attending story hours, people of all kinds looking for books/magazines/DVDs, people attending special informational programs, people who may need a warm safe place to hang out for a bit (kids after school, seniors on a limited income with no heat, lonely people, etc.). And yes, believe it or not, I've even seen some whining complainers. Public libraries serve everyone because they are public.

calvcopf

WTF

I have seen them too. The library is in the back of the building and the walkway is covered with a large awning.They are not there to use the library. Last time I was there a guy was just hanging out drinking beer. Seems like the library staff would notice and start calling the cops on them.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
I found out long ago complaining gets you nowhere fast. Like the movie on your tv, if it doesn't suit you change the channel. Why waste your time talking about it? Naming all the things you dislike about it. Grab that remote and move on.

Nowhere does it state you must settle, the only rule is you must find it yourself. I'm sure many are OK with that place the way it is, just let them deal with it.

:coffee:

steppinthrax

I have seen them too. The library is in the back of the building and the walkway is covered with a large awning.They are not there to use the library. Last time I was there a guy was just hanging out drinking beer. Seems like the library staff would notice and start calling the cops on them.

I think they kind of "haven" them and feel pity. The guy that was here fell asleep 3 times. And each and every time one of the staff came over to him and asked him was he OK.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I think they kind of "haven" them and feel pity. The guy that was here fell asleep 3 times. And each and every time one of the staff came over to him and asked him was he OK.

Public libraries ARE a haven for homeless people, especially when it is cold outside. It is a warm, friendly, inviting place that is open to the public and does not require you to purchase anything. Public Libraries are open to ALL!

For your information, here is one of the American Library Association's publications concerning homelessness and how to address it.
Extending Our Reach: Reducing Homelessness Through Library Engagement | Offices of the American Library Association

Please take note of #11:

Promoting training to sensitize library staff to issues affecting poor people and to attitudinal and other barriers that hinder poor people’s use of libraries.

Last edited:

MarieB

I have not been bothered by any of the "seemingly" homeless people at LP library. The hoodlums really don't seem to bother anyone either as far as I recall

I wish in general though that people wouldn't smoke so close to the entranceway

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I have not been bothered by any of the "seemingly" homeless people at LP library. The hoodlums really don't seem to bother anyone either as far as I recall

I wish in general though that people wouldn't smoke so close to the entranceway

I've never been to that library but I agree that it would be nice if people wouldn't smoke so close to any entryway. Actually, it would be nice if people were more cognizant of how their actions might affect others and if people would be more understanding and tolerant of other people's differences and be able to compromise on a balance between one's own self-interest and the interests of those around us.

Of course, if we could manage to do that, we'd probably have a more civil and peaceful world, wouldn't we?