Jake & Als

winky

Stopped in just before Christmas to get an afternoon lunch. Amber was our server. order was placed, food was its normal decent variety, however I noticed after the bill was received that we were charged for "toppings" such as grilled onions, bacon, cheese and mushrooms which I swore the menu indicated "your choice of toppings included". The extras came to an additional $3.25. Not wanting to question these charges without verifying that I may have misread the menu, I paid the bill and returned within a week, orderd an appetizer and rechecked the menu. Sure enough my suspicions were confirmed. Although there was a list ot toppings, there was no indication anywhere on the menu that there would be an additional charge for these. It's not the $3.25 I'm complaining about, it's the utter audacity of this place, its waitress and the management to pull a stunt like this.

If you do decide to patronize this establishment, you will need to closely check your bill prior to paying to insure you do not fall victim to this practice. I, for one, will never step foot in this place again( and I was a regular customer). I will make sure that all of my friends and family are aware of what occurred and will do everything in my power NOT to recommend this location if asked.

SandieGarry

Similar expierience

Years ago, the wife and I ate a local dive in Waldorf (it's no longer in business). Food was ok, service was ok. Anyway, the bill came and I dropped the credit card down and waited for it to be picked up. Waitress was slow picking it up so I took a glance at the bill and was surprised that we were charged 18% for a tip. Hmmmmm. When we finally got the copy to sign, only the total was there, our itemized copy was not. I paid the total (usually leave 20% but figured 18 was good), did not leave an additional tip on the tip line and left. I even had the wife read the receipt to make sure I was right. Sneaky little devils.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A vendetta over $3.25....

Victimized, no less....

Whatever. I've always understood the steak toppings to be extra, just like they are at Outback or any other steak joint. I don't know if I read it on the menu or what, but the upcharge for sauteed mushrooms on my steak has never caused me stress.

My big beef (ha) about J&A's is that the service is consistently terrible. The food is good if the dingbat server gets it to you before it gets cold, but I've only had that happen a couple of times. Then the aholes lie about it: when your food comes to you cold, that is the server letting it sit and not the kitchen's fault. The waitstaff don't appear to have any training or supervision.

Last edited:

winky

J&a

Again, it wasn't the $3.25 I was pissed about (had the menu identified a charge for the toppings,there would have been no need for this to happen. It was just the idea that they pulled this stunt to begin with. I did not bring it to management 's attention when I confirmed it. I did not want them to escalate this into an argument. I just prefered to go quietly and not grace their doorstep again.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
J&A's is in "Lusby Town Center" (a rather ambitious name for an L-shaped strip shopping center). It's near the Lusby Post Office. I was warned away from the place because it had gone downhill and the food & service had gone from being good to being indifferent. I was also told that a lot of the clientele were druggies and deadbeats from CRE. So, I've never been there and don't plan to try it out.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Again, it wasn't the $3.25 I was pissed about (had the menu identified a charge for the toppings,there would have been no need for this to happen. It was just the idea that they pulled this stunt to begin with. I did not bring it to management 's attention when I confirmed it. I did not want them to escalate this into an argument. I just prefered to go quietly and not grace their doorstep again.

But you didn't go quietly - you signed up on SOMD.com and posted it publicly.

Rt235

Stopped in just before Christmas to get an afternoon lunch. Amber was our server. order was placed, food was its normal decent variety, however I noticed after the bill was received that we were charged for "toppings" such as grilled onions, bacon, cheese and mushrooms which I swore the menu indicated "your choice of toppings included". The extras came to an additional $3.25. Not wanting to question these charges without verifying that I may have misread the menu, I paid the bill and returned within a week, orderd an appetizer and rechecked the menu. Sure enough my suspicions were confirmed. Although there was a list ot toppings, there was no indication anywhere on the menu that there would be an additional charge for these. It's not the $3.25 I'm complaining about, it's the utter audacity of this place, its waitress and the management to pull a stunt like this.

If you do decide to patronize this establishment, you will need to closely check your bill prior to paying to insure you do not fall victim to this practice. I, for one, will never step foot in this place again( and I was a regular customer). I will make sure that all of my friends and family are aware of what occurred and will do everything in my power NOT to recommend this location if asked.

You ate there just before Christmas and said nothing until now?

Right.....................:coffee:

Come back when you have a REAL issue with something.