Alfalfa hay?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Does anybody know where I can get 10-15 bales of alfalfa or alfalfa mix hay? The bale I just bought from the Henyard cost me $21.00...UG...

DQ2B

:yikes: $21? For one bale? Try Cheltenham auction maybe? Thank God I don't need alfalfa. Good luck.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
Yeah...I went back for several more just to get me through until i can find it somewhere else - I was so upset at what it cost me that when hubs unloaded the bales i actually hollered at him for 'plopping' it down cause so many leaves came off the bale and onto the snow :lmao:

I will say one of the bales was so heavy it took all i had in me to lift it, but it's suuuuper stemmy and coarse.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
:yikes: $21? For one bale? Try Cheltenham auction maybe? Thank God I don't need alfalfa. Good luck.

Yeah, the hay auction has had some nice hay this year but people bid up the prices too high. :cds: But, I haven't seen any $21 squares yet :)

I've picked up about 10 roundbales this winter though which is why my horses look like kegs with legs but, they're warm!

I do add some alfalfa to their meals but they get Chaffhaye which is a haylage made from alfalfa. Nom nom!

MDres

I'm feeding alfalfa Chaffhaye to my daughter's 4-H steer. It was $15 for a 50 lb bag at Stauffer Feed Mill in Loveville.

Because it is haylage, and it is so moist and sticky, you don't have the issues of lost leaves/chaff.

I am happy enough with the product that I am not even trying to find local alfalfa. This is so easy to buy and store - I can pick up the bags in my little Kia SUV and not get chaff all over the interior! And I'm not loosing any nutrition in lost leaves.

rabbithead

Does anybody know where I can get 10-15 bales of alfalfa or alfalfa mix hay? The bale I just bought from the Henyard cost me $21.00...UG...

I bought some nice heavy bales of alfalfa hay the end of December at Stoltzfus Feed for $9.50 a bale. They are located at 28180 Thompson's Corner Road in Mechanicsville. Closed Tues. pm and Sat. pm and Sunday.

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I went to Stoltzfus yesterday and got what they had left of the Alfalfa mix hay (14 bales) @ 7.00 a bale and 6 pure alfalfa bales he just got from Canada @ 9.50 a bale and next week I'm going to try the bagged forage that you guys are using by putting it in a bunk feeder for my babies - thank you so much for the suggestions!

Tractor Supply is $18.99 and the Henyard (Joe Stauffer's place) is 15$ for 50 lb bags, Phyxius where are you getting it?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yeah, the hay auction has had some nice hay this year but people bid up the prices too high. :cds: But, I haven't seen any $21 squares yet :)

I've picked up about 10 roundbales this winter though which is why my horses look like kegs with legs but, they're warm!

I do add some alfalfa to their meals but they get Chaffhaye which is a haylage made from alfalfa. Nom nom!

:lmao:

My big mare got so round that I had to buy a girth extender. Saddles won't stay in place on her either -they turn due to her roundness.