self care boarding?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I've never done it so what makes a good facility good?
What is the average monthly price for this area, is there even a need for it in this economy?
a stall in barn vs a run in in the field
separate paddock for one or two horses vs several in a field
how is hay typically provided?
Amenities at the facility - ie: arena, trails, access to a trainer?

Any input would really be appreciated.

2baymares

Self care facilities are great for people who are close by and do not have to travel far. To figure out a "self care fee". Find out what nearby Full Care facilities charge and minus all the costs of labor, hay, feed, vet, wormer, etc. to get your "self care" fee. If you are supplying the hay (due to lack of pasture) then add that back in the fee.

Hoover

self care

Self care facilities are great for people who are close by and do not have to travel far. To figure out a "self care fee". Find out what nearby Full Care facilities charge and minus all the costs of labor, hay, feed, vet, wormer, etc. to get your "self care" fee. If you are supplying the hay (due to lack of pasture) then add that back in the fee.

I do self-care - I love it. I supply my own feed and hay. The barn supplies the sawdust. I clean my own stalls. He feeds In the mornings and turns the horses out. I bring them in at night and feed at night. It works out for us. Its great. I pay $150.00 per horse. Its 1/3 the cost of what I was paying for full board.