Mmmmm...Black History Month....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Controversy Surrounds Lunch Menu at Concord High School | NBC Bay Area

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to celebrate Black History Month in a lunchtime celebration. But when the Christian school announced a lunch of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, students and parents were outraged and offended.

I think that sounds delicious and probably better than what they normally serve in the cafeteria.

mamatutu

mama to two
Controversy Surrounds Lunch Menu at Concord High School | NBC Bay Area

I think that sounds delicious and probably better than what they normally serve in the cafeteria.

Those 3 things are some of my favorite foods. I think it is racist that they don't think white people love those foods, too. Wow, this is the ultimate example that people will complain about anything. Professor Taylor, interviewed in the video, said these stereotyped foods come from the same place as the 'n' word. Are you kidding me?! So why do people eat foods that are degrading to their race? Black cuisine is delicious. What a bunch of bullcrap. This is beyond ridiculous!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Those 3 things are some of my favorite foods. I think it is racist that they don't think white people love those foods, too. Wow, this is the ultimate example that people will complain about anything. Professor Taylor, interviewed in the video, said these stereotyped foods come from the same place as the 'n' word. Are you kidding me?! So why do people eat foods that are degrading to their race? Black cuisine is delicious. What a bunch of bullcrap. This is beyond ridiculous!

Black cuisine? :roflmao: It's soul food, or even better, southern. I grew up on what is commonly confused as foods that only black people eat.

I just had a mess o' collards yesterday.

glhs837

Power with Control
If you watch the report, it said they asked the black student union of a nearby school for a list.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If you watch the report, it said they asked the black student union of a nearby school for a list.

...who promptly punked the uppity, exclusive (but terribly naive) all-girls school from uptown.

Toxick

Splat
I think the assumption that fried chicken and watermelon is "Black people" food is exceptionally racist.

Why can't I get in on that action, cause I'm white? I'd eat fried chicken and watermelon every day if I could get away with it.

Seriously though- anyone who classifies Fried Chicken and Watermelon as a black thing has never seen the Toxick family on summer weekends.

(I'm primarily German and Irish --- I'd rather eat someone's vomit than sauerkraut. I'm not huge on corned beef and cabbage either. Still rather have some yardbird though).

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That menu sure sounds like my house growing up any number of times during any year at my house growing up - and I'm ashamed to say we're white as can be, and not offended.

Oh, the travails of not being offended! The shame of liking family-friendly, relatively inexpensive comfort food.

The horror! The horror!

Is it any month but February yet?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Since I no longer have cable tv, I don't get bombarded with Black History Month previews and advertisements. Life is good.

GregV814

what about annie from the Popeyes commercials???? is THAT racist???? or aunt Jemimia and Uncle Ben???...