Not a new story, but...

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
From Fox News:

Gun rights advocates are urging the Canadian government to drop charges against a retired U.S. soldier who says he mistakenly brought a gun into the country due to a faulty GPS directions during a weekend getaway.

Louis DiNatale, the former Army soldier, says he forgot the gun was inside his wife's car, so when he was asked by a Canadian border agent when the last time he had a weapon on him, he responded, "Earlier that week," The Los Angeles Times reported.
external-link.png
The border agent searched his wife's car and located a .380 handgun.'It was an honest mistake'- Louis Di Natalie

"It was an honest mistake," DiNatale, told Postmedia News Wednesday from Louisville, Ky., where he works as a paralegal. "There's not even a traffic ticket in my background. Why would I come to Canada to bring a small weapon to smuggle in?"

He was handcuffed, jailed for four days and posted bail. His court date is set for June.

DiNatale says he and his wife were on a road trip in September to Vermont when they took the wrong turn in New York.

Bruce Engel, his Canadian lawyer, says DiNatale, 46, is being used by Canada to make a statement not to mess with the borders, the report said. Nearly 1,400 firearms were reportedly seized at Canadian entry points over the past three years.

Read more: US Army vet faces 3 years in Canadian prison after mistakenly bringing gun to border, says lawyer | Fox News

Last edited:

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Harumph. A "professional" who doesn't know where his service weapon is at. all. times.

He should face the full force of the laws of Canada, no question.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Harumph. A "professional" who doesn't know where his service weapon is at. all. times.

A .380 "service weapon"? That's nothing but a pocket or purse pistol, relatively inexpensive, lightweight, very concealable, with not a lot of stopping power. Understand something about guns, please, before you comment on it..

Hijinx

Anyone can make a mistake.

Make one in a country that gets a Priaprism by strict enforcement and zero tolerance and you are in big trouble.

dan0623_2000

Ignorant People

Thanks Liberty. I had not had a good laugh all week. You sure made my day. Next time I feel the blues coming on I will look up some of your posts.

itsrequired

I have over 10 firearms. I can tell you where each and everyone of them are, and the condition they are in. Why should they give this guy a break? He tried to cross th boarder with a fiream into another country. Now he is saying it was a mistake. I don't believe that and I don't think Canada does either. He should face the music.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The really "funny" part of the story is...when he realized he was about to cross the border, he asked to be allowed to turn around and just return to the US.

Hijinx

The really "funny" part of the story is...when he realized he was about to cross the border, he asked to be allowed to turn around and just return to the US.

I haven't been to Canada in years, but isn't a Passport required now? Why would they let him cross without one?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The really "funny" part of the story is...He "forgot" where his gun was.

Why is that funny? I've forgotten where guns were before. When you carry as many around as I do, you forget one or two every now and again. So what?..they are still safely in my own vehicle or somewhere within my own property or business.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Why is that funny? I've forgotten where guns were before. When you carry as many around as I do, you forget one or two every now and again. So what?..they are still safely in my own vehicle or somewhere within my own property or business.

lol!

itsrequired

That is funny....since there are plenty of opportunities to not go into Canada at that crossing. Bunch of signs...big letters...points to Canada. I've done that crossing on the Thousand Island Bridge and there is no way you can mistakenly go into Canada unless you are driving with your eyes closed. Maybe he's illiterate. Or...maybe he's another friend of yours gilligan and he told you personally there were no signs. :killingme