NY AG: 3,000 birds rescued in cockfighting bust

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"NEW YORK (AP) -- More than 3,000 birds were rescued in a three-county cockfighting takedown in New York this weekend that resulted in nine felony arrests, according to the state Attorney General's Office.

In a statement released Sunday night, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said it was the largest cockfighting takedown in New York state and among the largest in U.S. history.

"Operation Angry Birds" simultaneously targeted locations in Queens, Brooklyn and Ulster County with assistance from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Ulster County Sheriff's office, Schneiderman said."

NY AG: 3,000 birds rescued in cockfighting bust - WTOP.com

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
While I don't like the idea of cockfights at all I wonder what their fate is now? The dinner table is such a sad thought as well.

Is this a lose/lose? :(

:coffee:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
While I don't like the idea of cockfights at all I wonder what their fate is now? The dinner table is such a sad thought as well.

Is this a lose/lose? :(

Depends, there are some rescue groups that cater to cockfighting rescues. They provide them with a good life, separately probably, although not all roosters will fight each other. Hopefully the roosters won't end up being euthanized unless they are injured badly.

I have 5 Polish roosters in the same pen with about 30 hens, and for the most part they coexist in peace. The Polish chickens tend to be quite docile, so it isn't unusual for there to be more than 1 rooster per group.

I expect at some point we will take in a few more rescue roosters ourselves.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Fighting For “Fighting” Roosters

another article about placing roosters:

"On January 25, 2009, 43 roosters were seized in the Bronx when authorities busted an illegal cockfight. Cockfighting is a gruesome and abhorrent blood sport that results in immense animal suffering and violent deaths for untold numbers of birds every year. For the battered roosters who were confiscated on that January evening, and those people who truly cared about their plight, one could be heartened by the belief that help had finally arrived! Yet within an hour of entering NY Animal Care & Control (NYC ACC), all of the roosters had been killed.

In the media about the rooster confiscation and subsequent killing, Richard Gentles, spokesman for Animal Care & Control said that the roosters could not be rehabilitated and that there is “no placement for them.” "

Fighting For “Fighting” Roosters |

PJumper

Depends, there are some rescue groups that cater to cockfighting rescues. They provide them with a good life, separately probably, although not all roosters will fight each other. Hopefully the roosters won't end up being euthanized unless they are injured badly.

I have 5 Polish roosters in the same pen with about 30 hens, and for the most part they coexist in peace. The Polish chickens tend to be quite docile, so it isn't unusual for there to be more than 1 rooster per group.

I expect at some point we will take in a few more rescue roosters ourselves.

ArkRescue, these roosters are bred and raised for cockfighting and will fight each other to death if put together in the same pen. They were raised in solitary conditions and trained to bring up their aggressiveness. I used to raise them in the Philippines.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
ArkRescue, these roosters are bred and raised for cockfighting and will fight each other to death if put together in the same pen. They were raised in solitary conditions and trained to bring up their aggressiveness. I used to raise them in the Philippines.

I believe one of the stories I read said that some can be "rehabbed". I think it's sad that they are bred to kill like that. So those that stay killers I guess would live a solitary life? or be put down or go for dinner?

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Well, if nothing else I hope that if they must be killed that its not in vain. Maybe used to feed the homeless or something along that line. I don't know, this type thing is upsetting and I'm not thinking straight right now. There should be at least something good to come out of this.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
For the battered roosters who were confiscated on that January evening, and those people who truly cared about their plight, one could be heartened by the belief that help had finally arrived! Yet within an hour of entering NY Animal Care & Control (NYC ACC), all of the roosters had been killed.

I hope they fried them since they were already battered

PJumper

Maybe Chicken Pot Pie, or Chicken and dumplings, I would think a Rooster trained for fighting would be a little tough for frying.

They are not only tough but also may not be suitable for eating since they've been given all kinds of drugs so they would not bleed easily and minimize the pain.