Dog Food Suggestions for older Dog

CaneCorso

Looking for suggestions for a new dog food for my pup, he is a 9 year old Cane Corso that has had issues with diarrhea off and on recently and the best way to control it seems to be limiting the amount of food I give him. The problem with this is that it looks like he might be losing some weight and I can tell he’s one hungry pup! I have had him in the vet multiple times and blood work, x-rays and sonograms have showed nothing so I’m wondering if his food might be giving him a little too much protein/calories for the amount of activity he is up for. I’m currently feeding him twice a day roughly 2 cups per meal (use to be 3 cups) of a 50/50 mix of Solid Gold Wolf King and Holistique and it’s starting to run low so I’m thinking it’s a good time to mix in something new. Any recommendations?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Looking for suggestions for a new dog food for my pup, he is a 9 year old Cane Corso that has had issues with diarrhea off and on recently and the best way to control it seems to be limiting the amount of food I give him. The problem with this is that it looks like he might be losing some weight and I can tell he’s one hungry pup! I have had him in the vet multiple times and blood work, x-rays and sonograms have showed nothing so I’m wondering if his food might be giving him a little too much protein/calories for the amount of activity he is up for. I’m currently feeding him twice a day roughly 2 cups per meal (use to be 3 cups) of a 50/50 mix of Solid Gold Wolf King and Holistique and it’s starting to run low so I’m thinking it’s a good time to mix in something new. Any recommendations?

Has the diarrhea issue recently cropped up? I believe Solid Gold Co recently sold and it is possible the formulas have changed. I really do hope the new company makes their bags more readable!

Besides food, what else is your dog eating? Do you have children or a neighbor that "slip him" treats? Have you tried probiotics or pumpkin with him?

Orijen senior is a great food and California Natural has a large breed senior food as well. Or raw.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I would look for something lower on the protien side...

and I wouldnt rule out IBD.

CaneCorso

Has the diarrhea issue recently cropped up? I believe Solid Gold Co recently sold and it is possible the formulas have changed. I really do hope the new company makes their bags more readable!

Besides food, what else is your dog eating? Do you have children or a neighbor that "slip him" treats? Have you tried probiotics or pumpkin with him?

Orijen senior is a great food and California Natural has a large breed senior food as well. Or raw.

Not as often as it has been over the last 4 months or so when I took him in for the x-rays/sonogram. He's had issues pop up every once in a while in the past but now it seems like I have to be ready at all times. It usually doesn't hit at once but over the course of a day or two...

No treats from me or anyone else as far as I know of since if he's out I'm with him but I do catch him on occasion trying to eat something another animal dragged out of the dumpster but that is rare although he's getting smarter and not eating it right there but more of a drive-by scoop and hide it in his mouth until dad isn't looking anymore.

I haven't tried probiotics or pumpkin with him that might be something to check into thanks for the dog food suggestions!

:howdy:

CaneCorso

I would look for something lower on the protien side...

and I wouldnt rule out IBD.

Just briefly read up on IBD very interesting on the similarities that match up with him. Definitely something to take into consideration :buddies:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Just briefly read up on IBD very interesting on the similarities that match up with him. Definitely something to take into consideration :buddies:

I have a cat that is older and we think he has developed it...

.... sad thing is that GI lymphoma and IBD are very close.

look up diets for IBD... :yay:

good luck

Roman

Not as often as it has been over the last 4 months or so when I took him in for the x-rays/sonogram. He's had issues pop up every once in a while in the past but now it seems like I have to be ready at all times. It usually doesn't hit at once but over the course of a day or two...

No treats from me or anyone else as far as I know of since if he's out I'm with him but I do catch him on occasion trying to eat something another animal dragged out of the dumpster but that is rare although he's getting smarter and not eating it right there but more of a drive-by scoop and hide it in his mouth until dad isn't looking anymore.

I haven't tried probiotics or pumpkin with him that might be something to check into thanks for the dog food suggestions!

:howdy:
Maybe on the days he has the poops, give him hamburger and rice, and stay off the dog food while it's happening. Ask your Vet about Pepto Bismol too.

jayel

We feed our dogs a raw diet, and I honestly can tell you they are doing great. We have an older pure bred German Shepherd with hip problems that we got several years ago that someone gave away, with the birth of a new baby. She is going to be 12. When we got her we were told that she could only eat one kind of dog food, other wise she got sick. We kept her on that for several years, but we got 2 new German Shepherd puppies, who were raised on the large breed dog food from tractor supply, at which point we slowly switched food as trying to feed 2 different foods would not have worked as they constantly switch bowls. Everyone, even the puppies seemed to be having stomach issues, ear infections, etc. The more I researched dog food, tried blue buffalo, tried the BJ's natural blend that rated very highly, I knew that there had to be something that didn't consistently make a least one of them sick.
Raw was what several people suggested and the more I researched the more I was interested in it. Dogs descended for wolves, wolves eat raw. After having them on raw diets for almost a year, I'm thrilled. Heidi, is 10x more active then she was. She likes to play when she is outside, and for the most part she doesn't generally leave the front yard, I have caught her actually following us all over the back yard, and wanting to be included with the younger dogs. Health-wise her skin is not as dry, her coat is shinier, and she has only had one ear infection very recently, in almost a year.
If you decide to do raw, every recommendation I read says that when you start the dog, you should wait 24 hrs after feeding the processed dog food to prevent stomach irritation.
Good Luck!

Roman

We feed our dogs a raw diet, and I honestly can tell you they are doing great. We have an older pure bred German Shepherd with hip problems that we got several years ago that someone gave away, with the birth of a new baby. She is going to be 12. When we got her we were told that she could only eat one kind of dog food, other wise she got sick. We kept her on that for several years, but we got 2 new German Shepherd puppies, who were raised on the large breed dog food from tractor supply, at which point we slowly switched food as trying to feed 2 different foods would not have worked as they constantly switch bowls. Everyone, even the puppies seemed to be having stomach issues, ear infections, etc. The more I researched dog food, tried blue buffalo, tried the BJ's natural blend that rated very highly, I knew that there had to be something that didn't consistently make a least one of them sick.
Raw was what several people suggested and the more I researched the more I was interested in it. Dogs descended for wolves, wolves eat raw. After having them on raw diets for almost a year, I'm thrilled. Heidi, is 10x more active then she was. She likes to play when she is outside, and for the most part she doesn't generally leave the front yard, I have caught her actually following us all over the back yard, and wanting to be included with the younger dogs. Health-wise her skin is not as dry, her coat is shinier, and she has only had one ear infection very recently, in almost a year.
If you decide to do raw, every recommendation I read says that when you start the dog, you should wait 24 hrs after feeding the processed dog food to prevent stomach irritation.
Good Luck!
I learned the hard way, not to feed raw Venison. I didn't have bad luck wsith it until last year. My girls got some Cocidiosis, and Leptospirosis from a St. Mary's kill.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Good Luck!

Many German Shepherd owners come in my store with problems like ear infections, dry skin and stomach issues and I know it is expensive, but raw is worth considering! I am happy to hear you have had such success; esp with an older dog.

People vary on how they feed raw- my two dogs get (frozen) BRAVO and Primal; with some dehydrated raw mixed in at times. They also get a probiotics supplement, salmon oil and lots of fresh veggies and canned pumpkin. I have never bought -and they have never eaten- grocery store meat but I know a lot of people feed it.

They are both healthy and have shiny coats. Neither have been at a vets office because they were sick or had health issues.

It is much easier to dump a bowl of kibble twice a day into a bowl. But despite the extra planning and little bit of extra work involved, I cannot see myself ever feeding anything but raw.

General Lee

Good Luck!

How do you feed your raw diet? Make it yourself or buy the packaged raw stuff? I've done raw before, but could never get in a good groove with with. Meaning I struggled with finding time to make up meals myself for a week or month in advance. The pre packaged stuff was to expensive.

jayel

I definitely agree that doing the prepackage is more expensive, even doing your own raw is also expensive. It's much easier to buy regular dog food, cheaper too, lol. I do it myself with help from my oldest daughter helping get stuff set out etc. I feed chicken, some beef, venison(if it was killed that day, other wise, after its been frozen), fish, some organs that I get from a local beef farmer. After doing some research I am planning to add geese to their diets, as a neighbor hunts and only uses the breast. They also get supplements, fish oil, eggs, some veggies, our male shepherd, like greens, salads etc. I sort of have a system setup, it is still a learning process. I joined a couple of different groups, did some research online and sort of evolve from that. Feeding frozen meats works well if you have a dog that will inhale food. I have 2 of those, while the other two shepherds, especially Heidi are slower when they eat.
It is a struggle to always be on top of it. I do feed some store bought meat, I would love to be able to do all fresh, all organic, but I don't know about you, even doing that for yourselves isn't as easy as it should be. I would like to raise our own chickens one day, but worry that the kids would get attached, and then they would be come pets. :cds:

CaneCorso

Ended up picking up a bag of Orijen at Pepper's today so hopefully pup will like it and it helps a little... thanks frequentflier

acommondisaster

I've got a chihuahua who always has to strain to pass a stool, and when he does, it's very hard and dry. Vet said give him canned pumpkin every day to add more fiber to his diet. You might want to check with your vet before going to additional fiber via canned pumpkin.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I've got a chihuahua who always has to strain to pass a stool, and when he does, it's very hard and dry. Vet said give him canned pumpkin every day to add more fiber to his diet. You might want to check with your vet before going to additional fiber via canned pumpkin.

Canned pumpkin is full of fiber which helps for both loose stools and stools that need to be firmer.