This can't be real

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
‘Who’s The Daddy?’ Homework Assignment Prompts Parent Complaint « CBS Detroit
The principal of Romeo High School has called an outraged father to apologize about a controversial homework assignment.

The 9th grade biology worksheet sent home with students this week featured questions about a mother trying to determine the identity of her baby’s father.

People are brain dead and teachers are certainly not exempt from that, but come on. I can't imagine any teacher who would be this clueless.

Seriously, I think "reporters" make this stuff up.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Lazy teacher!

From the article:

"Campbell said the teacher, who got the worksheet from a teaching website, has apologized.

“Teachers use all kinds of different resources that are available to them,” Campbell said. “[This incident] brings in awareness for all of our staff to, you know, be more thoughtful and reflective about the items they use when they put them on a homework assignment.”

According to Campbell, only one parent complained. "

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Looks to me like the teacher was promoting the development of a very useful skill set....considering the location.

:coffee:

CaneCorso

People are brain dead and teachers are certainly not exempt from that, but come on. I can't imagine any teacher who would be this clueless.

Remember doing genetics in school trying to figure out dominate versus recessive traits? Imagine the sh!tstorm if he bought a couple of cheap DNA kits online and sent them home with a couple of students and WHOOPS!
:killingme

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...

I can't go so far as to think it was made up. Since the possibility of things like this happening is so high these days. Nothing surprises me anymore, I think the shock factor part of my mind is gone.

I do think its a good assignment to learn how the process works. Learning how DNA is applied to many things is something this generation needs to learn. Its just tacky in its wording and amount of possibilities. Overkill if you will. Just to show 'possibility A-B for them to do 'the math' would have been enough I feel. JMHO

:coffee:

Chris0nllyn

The Michigan Coalition for High Student Standards is a state alliance of education, business, community, parent and military organizations that supports high academic standards in public education. The Coalition endorses the Common Core State Standards because they give all Michigan students the opportunity to compete for family supporting jobs in a global economy. Our goal is for every student to graduate from high school prepared for success in college, in career and in life.

About Us | Michigan Coalition for High Student Standards

Common Core State Standards Initiative | In the States

BigBlue

Something like this having to do with abortion happen at Westlake in Waldorf about 10/12 years ago .Teacher gave assignment to some kids to debate about abortion ,someone was ask to stand in for a missing student(and did very well) by a teacher ,afterwards another Teacher who was aloud to sit in but not her class berated the kids to a point that I think got her suspended .(not sure).What the hell did the Teacher think would happen ?

edinsomd

Something like this having to do with abortion happen at Westlake in Waldorf about 10/12 years ago .Teacher gave assignment to some kids to debate about abortion ,someone was ask to stand in for a missing student(and did very well) by a teacher ,afterwards another Teacher who was aloud to sit in but not her class berated the kids to a point that I think got her suspended .(not sure).What the hell did the Teacher think would happen ?

Reading that made my eyes hurt. Did you actually have a point, or does your hat cover it?