Speeding ticket in Calvert County

Rt235

Is it better waive the trial and have a penalty hearing, or go to trial?

WOW...you have been here for 10 years and only 2 posts and you ask this group of crazies (good thing :buddies:) for legal advice??? :killingme

If you are guilty, fess up, pay the fine (mail it in), learn your lesson and don't get caught again.

bilbur

Is it better waive the trial and have a penalty hearing, or go to trial?

Check out the community service program. In St Mary's you can do it for a fee and it completely removes it from you record. It has been a long time since I have gotten a ticket but if I remember correctly it was 8 hours per point.

Chris0nllyn

WOW...you have been here for 10 years and only 2 posts and you ask this group of crazies (good thing :buddies:) for legal advice??? :killingme

If you are guilty, fess up, pay the fine (mail it in), learn your lesson and don't get caught again.

Or, go to court, the judge will probably give you a PBJ, you'll pay court costs, and walk out with no points. (Depending on your record)

lucky_bee

RBF expert
When I pled not guilty in St. Mary's, I had the option of doing community service with a $25 fee and no points to the license.

When I pled not guilty in Calvert, I was only given the option of paying the fine ($80) and no points to the license.

Both were for typical "9 mph over the speed limit" :shrug:

HorseQueen

Granted, I was 17 at the time..

My first and only ticket was a double whammy.

1. Speeding
2. "Out past curfew", since I was on a provisional at the time.

I went to court to get the points off of my record. I ended up getting PBJ for a certain amount of time and had four days of community service on top of the court costs AND you had to PAY to do community service.

If you aren't getting any points, just pay the fee.

Goldenhawk

A few years ago I was in court for a speeding offense (here in St Marys). The judge called the room to order and started by saying "If you admit you were speeding, I'll give you Probation Before Judgement, and 8 hrs of community service (plus nominal court costs), for a clean record. If you plead Not Guilty and you lose the argument, you get points and a fine. Your call." 19 of the 20 people there pled guilty.

Seems a bit like bribing us to say we were guilty, but it sure did speed up the morning. Nobody quibbled about radar calibrations or inaccurate speedometers. The officer didn't have much arguing to do, and we were all out of there in 15 minutes.

The only guy who pled not guilty had pretty good documentation that he was innocent, and the judge let him go. Everyone else pretty much knew they'd been wrong and fighting it was a waste of time.

So in my mind, the best reason to go is to avoid the fine and the points on your record, and more importantly so that your insurance company never hears about it.

Also, you might just happen to luck out and the officer who wrote the ticket won't show. If he doesn't, you walk away scott free even if you are guilty, since there's nobody there to accuse you.

FollowTheMoney

Where's the evidence of speeding? There is only the word of
the government agent. Ever think it strange that a government
agent gives you a ticket, you are tried by a government agent, then
judged by a government agent.
Absent evidence of a violation of law there is no violation...
Only an accusation.
If you plead "not guilty" you are affirming there was
a violation and will present testimony to defend.
So, when asked you say neither, not guilty or guilty, instead
you say to the judge, absent any evidence of a violation of law,
I ask this case be dismissed. If pressed, ask if the state, county,
or officer has any evidence that a violation of law exists.
As long as you remained silent during the traffic stop, (you
are not required to answer any questions... remember anything
you say can and will be used against you,) case should be dismissed.
It does work.

Hijinx

Check out the community service program. In St Mary's you can do it for a fee and it completely removes it from you record. It has been a long time since I have gotten a ticket but if I remember correctly it was 8 hours per point.

I believe you are in error.

If you choose Community service the ticket is placed on a thing called the stat docket, and it is like being on probation for a year . Not sure whether or not it appears on your record after that.

At least that is my perception. Sometimes this is the way to go, but sometimes it is not allowed, dependent on the ticket, and your record.

Whatever you do, if you are given Community Service----show up.

itsrequired

Where's the evidence of speeding? There is only the word of
the government agent. Ever think it strange that a government
agent gives you a ticket, you are tried by a government agent, then
judged by a government agent.
Absent evidence of a violation of law there is no violation...
Only an accusation.
If you plead "not guilty" you are affirming there was
a violation and will present testimony to defend.
So, when asked you say neither, not guilty or guilty, instead
you say to the judge, absent any evidence of a violation of law,
I ask this case be dismissed. If pressed, ask if the state, county,
or officer has any evidence that a violation of law exists.
As long as you remained silent during the traffic stop, (you
are not required to answer any questions... remember anything
you say can and will be used against you,) case should be dismissed.
It does work.

You are not a soveriegn citizen. It won't work. :killingme

itsrequired

I believe you are in error.

If you choose Community service the ticket is placed on a thing called the stat docket, and it is like being on probation for a year . Not sure whether or not it appears on your record after that.

At least that is my perception. Sometimes this is the way to go, but sometimes it is not allowed, dependent on the ticket, and your record.

Whatever you do, if you are given Community Service----show up.

I am certain you are wrong.

FollowTheMoney

Understand the message

Geez, you people are idiots. Yes I pay taxes, no I don't try the sovereign citizen crap.
If you keep your mouth shut during a traffic stop and an officer writes you a ticket for
speeding, or what ever, it is only an accusation.
Your word against his/her.
Absent evidence there is no violation.
But hey, if you want to continue bending over and taking it from the government,
then please don't fight it.
However, if you are tired of the seemingly endless ways of confiscatory actions
that your government thinks of to take your money, then stand and fight.
And if you lose the first one, appeal and take it to the next level.
Ask yourselves this; Are you an "of the people, by the people, for the people" person?
Or are you one of those "consent of the governed" type?
If you are a consent of the governed type, you will continue to be bent over,
because you have given your consent to be bent over.
Think about that.