"Our long national austerity nightmare is over"

Chris0nllyn

“With the 2015 budget request,” The Washington Post reported last week, “Obama will call for an end to the era of austerity that has dogged much of his presidency.”

Well, it’s about time! The end of austerity cannot come soon enough, as far as your humble correspondent is concerned. And a quick look at the historical budget tables shows why: In 2008, the federal government spent just a hair under $3 trillion. After six years of President Slash-and-Burn, spending has shrunk to almost $4 trillion. If we keep cutting like this, it will be down to $5 trillion before you know it.

These savage reductions have taken place in nearly every major federal program. Take defense spending: The year before Obama took office, it stood at $594 billion. It’s now $597 billion. Back in 2001 it was almost $300 billion. Even if you adjust for inflation, it’s clear that defense spending has shrunk at an alarming rate.

Same deal for food stamps: Under President Barack Obama, spending on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program has gone from $40 billion to $78 billion, in constant dollars. And that’s after it went from $20 billion to $40 billion under Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush. Spending cuts like that are simply barbaric.

But they are par for the course. Using inflation-adjusted, 2012 dollars, federal spending on K-12 and vocational education has gone from $41 billion in 2002 to $100 billion in 2012. During the same period, Medicare spending has gone from $293 billion to roughly $500 billion. Transportation spending? It went from $86 billion to $138 billion. Medicaid and related programs? $223 billion to $327 billion. Energy? Half a billion to $9 billion.

If we keep hacking away at federal spending like this, pretty soon we won’t have any federal government left! No wonder the economy has been so sluggish: We obviously need more stimulus.

You can’t cut your way to prosperity; America needs to be building up, not tearing down. We need more investment in basic research — research like an important new project being funded by the Fish and Wildlife Service, which is giving $175,000 to a grant recipient who will use the money to study “the Swimming Abilities of Native Stream Fishes in the Northern Rockies-Upper Great Plains Regions of Montana.”

Studying the swimming abilities of fish is precisely the sort of research the federal government is best at. But if we don’t wise up and start spending money faster, we might have to do without it. Then where will we be?

In January 2013,The Washington Post reported that “Congress funded Customs and Border Protection at $11.7 billion — 64 percent more than FY 2006 and $262 million more than in FY 2011, despite the new climate of austerity.”

Yes, the new climate of austerity. Thank heavens we’re putting an end to that.

Hinkle: Our long national austerity nightmare is over - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Our Opinion

:lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It would be even funnier....were it not about the constant decline of a nation some of us are ..or at least were..kinda fond of.

Hijinx

Austerity:
1.severity or plainness: severity of discipline, regime, expression, or design
2.economy measure: a saving, economy, or act of self-denial, especially in respect of something regarded as a luxury
3.enforced thrift: thrift imposed as government policy, with restricted access to or availability of consumer goods

Obama and the idiot who wrote that sh----screed should read the meaning, it's obvious neither knows what Austerity means.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
sat·ire

noun
the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
a literary genre comprising such compositions.

tommyjo

As I said this morning...damn you people are stupid...but I guess that is what you get with a lack of education and following others, like the author who also have no education on the subject matter.

No sense explaining it...the lot of you won't get it.

The same bunch that commented on this article...applauding the author's pathetic attempt to understand the budget and equally pathetic attempt to compare different time frames and economy...this same group were posting last summer about the horrors of sequestration... :killingme

mamatutu

mama to two
Humor us...if you can.

Well there you go. You are one of the few intellectuals on this forum that have always had great unbiased opinions. And, you are a gentleman, and never have bad things to say about anyone. I guess, TJ just got her comeuppance, and it has been a long time coming. Maybe, she will post links, explain herself, or at least stop her hard drive by postings. Thanks, Sam!

SamSpade

and never have bad things to say about anyone.

I wouldn't say that, but I try not to do it on a forum intended for discussion and debate. After years of formal debate, I've always been strongly of the opinion that if you insult your opponent, you've lost.

I guess, TJ just got her comeuppance, and it has been a long time coming. Maybe, she will post links, explain herself, or at least stop her hard drive by postings. Thanks, Sam!

It's not my intent to deliver a comeuppance; I'd just like to hear her argument. I don't care for her insults, but sometimes she gives a reason. This time she didn't, and I don't know that she has any.

Without the anecdotal references - I really wouldn't characterize ANY aspect of spending under Obama as austere except possibly the sequester - which ironically was enacted because they couldn't AGREE on cuts.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's not my intent to deliver a comeuppance; I'd just like to hear her argument. I don't care for her insults, but sometimes she gives a reason. This time she didn't, and I don't know that she has any.

Without the anecdotal references - I really wouldn't characterize ANY aspect of spending under Obama as austere except possibly the sequester - which ironically was enacted because they couldn't AGREE on cuts.

Now, that is interesting; wanting to hear her/his reasons.

Why? I've yet to read anything that indicates TJ has ANY interest in a debate or a even a conversation about ANY issue and simply has a desire to call everyone dumb and move on. Far from losing a debate and then resorting to insults, she/he starts the debate with an insult and...walks out.

TJ is not reflexively pro or anti Obama and I can't really discern an innate political leaning. The one constant is that everyone is a moron.

So, what is interesting about hearing what someone like that has to say? That is ALL they have to say; everyone else is a dummy. I suppose TJ could be interesting is he/she wanted to but, I consistently see no interest in that with ANYONE on here.

:shrug:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The same bunch that commented on this article...

then why do you bother posting at all ..... satisfying some anally superior attitude .. swinging your EPenis around the internet

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
TJ is not reflexively pro or anti Obama and I can't really discern an innate political leaning. The one constant is that everyone is a moron.

I don't know about Obama, but TJ def has poor opinions of Fox, The Blaze .. Glenn Beck, Zero Hedge .... if I had to guess TJ probably <3 Krugman ....

the most glaring item is constantly repeating that we don't know how the debt ceiling REALLY Works ...

and that not only Keynes was correct about spending [based on comments about borrowing even MORE Money] ... but we should be following this other bloke as well

Bagehot, Walter - Lombard Street

SamSpade

Now, that is interesting; wanting to hear her/his reasons.

I listen to you, even when I think you're stone cold crazy. The difference of course being that you don't insult, you do explain and I know you.

Why? I've yet to read anything that indicates TJ has ANY interest in a debate or a even a conversation about ANY issue and simply has a desire to call everyone dumb and move on.

Not always, which MAY be because she's really a sock puppet for someone else here. I've known people who do that - they don't want to jeopardize their normal identity, so they create one that just ventilates. Nevertheless, on rare occasion she's given weak but coherent arguments for things.

I was expecting to hear the fact that the items were cherry-picked - that as a measure of the GDP, the overall budget is improved; the very REAL fact that a lot of the budget deficit has been revenue shortfall and while high, has lowered each year; and so on. In no way does it support the idea that we've had five years of AUSTERITY - especially when we've been printing 75 billion dollars a month and spent almost a trillion in stimulus dollars over the first few years.

If anything, he's continued exactly in the shoes of his predecessors, just spending in different places.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
As I said this morning...damn you people are stupid...but I guess that is what you get with a lack of education and following others, like the author who also have no education on the subject matter.

The same bunch that commented on this article...applauding the author's pathetic attempt to understand the budget and equally pathetic attempt to compare different time frames and economy...this same group were posting last summer about the horrors of sequestration... :killingme

I agree with most of the posters here, TJ just hits and runs. I'd like to see at least once where TJ makes an argument for his/her opinion. But, like most university professors, says, "I KNOW THE TRUTH"!! Sorry baby, I ain't buying it. Lived life for much too long, and my knowledge isn't just from book-learnin'.

Toxick

Splat

That's cute.

"I'll look smort if'n I say there the stoopit ones, yuk-yuk"

No, after having the pleasure of reading your previous attempts a logic and debate, finding no small amount of amusement in doing so, I can only come to a single conclusion. The conclusion being that the real reason you won't attempt to explain it, is because you don't have the brain-power to understand it yourself. Let alone express is in a manner more sophisticated than the rudimentary grunts of a cro-magnon man having an unexpected and explosive bowel movement.

I suspect that you know this, and in an attempt to hide this fact, or at the very least distract the casual readers away from it, you adopt this transparently pathetic condescending attitude.

It's called "projection".

It's both cute and sad.

Like a puppy with a head-cone, scooting around one of those wheel carts after being hit by a dumptruck.