Are you burning wood?

Hijinx

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=15431

Wood as a source of heat is making big comeback.

The cost of heating fuel and bigger electric bills have forced many to go back to burning wood as the source of their heat.

I burned wood for many years, but the labor needed is pretty hard on older folks, and I found the cost of Chain saws, splitters, and fuel to haul the wood added a lot to the cost. The labor of handling the wood several times as it was cut, split, piled , and hauled in to the stove, and the mess in the house all entered into my decision to stop. Today with the outside wood furnaces and the hot water giving even heat through the house, I am back to looking at it as an option. The pellet stoves are also an option as is the corn stove.

I know this winter has put a hurt on my budget, fuel oil bills are killing me this year.
The county adding an energy tax onto already high fuel oil hasn't helped.

Of course the EPA has looked into this and now they are launching an attack on wood stoves.

FED_UP

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=15431

Wood as a source of heat is making big comeback.

The cost of heating fuel and bigger electric bills have forced many to go back to burning wood as the source of their heat.

I burned wood for many years, but the labor needed is pretty hard on older folks, and I found the cost of Chain saws, splitters, and fuel to haul the wood added a lot to the cost. The labor of handling the wood several times as it was cut, split, piled , and hauled in to the stove, and the mess in the house all entered into my decision to stop. Today with the outside wood furnaces and the hot water giving even heat through the house, I am back to looking at it as an option. The pellet stoves are also an option as is the corn stove.

I know this winter has put a hurt on my budget, fuel oil bills are killing me this year.
The county adding an energy tax onto already high fuel oil hasn't helped.

Of course the EPA has looked into this and now they are launching an attack on wood stoves.

Soon there will be an addititional tax for each piece of wood you burn.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Soon there will be an addititional tax for each piece of wood you burn.

they FED / IRS / EPA would have to start going after road side fire wood sellers ....

the EPA is supposed to be tightening emissions standards for Wood Stoves

koan00

The more environmentally friendly stoves are also much more efficient. Depending on your maintenance costs and rate of burning, they usually save you money in the long run. They burn hotter for longer, so they generally use less wood. Less emissions means less creosote too.

I have the combustor type stove personally. Although it was a bit of a learning curve at first, it was definitely worth figuring it out instead of leaving the bypass open all the time :)

acommondisaster

The article I read had a slightly different slant to it.
Millions of families faced skyrocketing energy prices as record low temperatures and snowfall hit much of the country. The U.S.’s constrained pipeline system could not keep up with the demand for propane and natural gas, causing prices to surge and utilities to burn oil and coal for power.
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/17/moving-backwards-northeasterners-turn-to-burning-wood-for-power/

We're going to need a hella lot of windmills....or hope that global warming is for real. :lalala:

mamatutu

mama to two
So, are the powers that be going to monitor every time a tree is cut down in the woods, or smoke is seen coming out of a chimney? Give me a break, please! The thing that burns my a$$, pun intended, is that all the powers that be that monitor, and make the laws will never be touched by their monitoring, or their laws. There lies the Catch22; another pun intended.

Last edited:

edinsomd

I got out of the firewood business last year with a ventless gas log installation. The firebox was pretty small anyway- more for looks than function, and no more chimney for the heat to run up with the dollars. No more pain cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking, either.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Off Grid Attack: EPA To Outlaw Many Wood Burning Stoves

Our ever so helpful government has decided that your wood burning stove is now a danger to the world. In another attempt to outlaw the off grid lifestyle, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the same agency that was recently caught using drones to spy on Americans, is now going after home owners who use Wood Burning Stoves to heat their homes.

Shortly after the re-election of President Obama, the agency announced new radical environmental regulations that threaten to effect people who live off the grid. The EPA’s new environmental regulations reduce the amount of airborne fine-particle matter from 15 micrograms to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

This means that most wood burning stoves would now fall into a class that would deemed unacceptable under these new draconian measures. The EPA has even launched a nifty new website called burn wise to try to sway public opinion.

On their site, while trying to convince people to get rid of their old stoves and buy the new EPA-certified stoves, they state that these older stove must be scraped and cannot be resold.

From the EPA Site:
The local air pollution agency says I can’t sell my old wood stove to help pay for an EPA-certified wood stove. Why is that?
Replacing an older stove with a cleaner-burning stove will not improve air quality if the older stove is reused somewhere else. For this reason, wood stove change out programs usually require older stoves to be destroyed and recycled as scrap metal, or rendered inoperable.

Let’s hope this doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction of the newly created Department of Homeland Security Environmental Justice Units? The next thing you know we might all be getting a knock at the door….. Your Neighbor reported that you might be burning some wood, do you mind if we take a look around?

koan00

Off Grid Attack: EPA To Outlaw Many Wood Burning Stoves

Our ever so helpful government has decided that your wood burning stove is now a danger to the world. In another attempt to outlaw the off grid lifestyle, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the same agency that was recently caught using drones to spy on Americans, is now going after home owners who use Wood Burning Stoves to heat their homes.

Shortly after the re-election of President Obama, the agency announced new radical environmental regulations that threaten to effect people who live off the grid. The EPA’s new environmental regulations reduce the amount of airborne fine-particle matter from 15 micrograms to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

This means that most wood burning stoves would now fall into a class that would deemed unacceptable under these new draconian measures. The EPA has even launched a nifty new website called burn wise to try to sway public opinion.

On their site, while trying to convince people to get rid of their old stoves and buy the new EPA-certified stoves, they state that these older stove must be scraped and cannot be resold.

From the EPA Site:
The local air pollution agency says I can’t sell my old wood stove to help pay for an EPA-certified wood stove. Why is that?
Replacing an older stove with a cleaner-burning stove will not improve air quality if the older stove is reused somewhere else. For this reason, wood stove change out programs usually require older stoves to be destroyed and recycled as scrap metal, or rendered inoperable.

Let’s hope this doesn’t fall under the jurisdiction of the newly created Department of Homeland Security Environmental Justice Units? The next thing you know we might all be getting a knock at the door….. Your Neighbor reported that you might be burning some wood, do you mind if we take a look around?
It should be noted this is only regulating purchases of new stoves. No one is coming to take your old stove away or fine you.

TPD

the poor dad
It should be noted this is only regulating purchases of new stoves. No one is coming to take your old stove away or fine you.

If you like your old wood burning stove, you can keep your old wood burning stove……….YEAH RIGHT!

PsyOps

Pixelated
they FED / IRS / EPA would have to start going after road side fire wood sellers ....

I'm sure they would find a way to tax them if they can find them. But all they have to do for homes is use Google maps and see if you have a chimney. It wouldn't be a wood burning tax, it would be a chimney tax. Regardless of whether you even use it or not, you would be taxed simply for having it.

TPD

the poor dad
I'm sure they would find a way to tax them if they can find them. But all they have to do for homes is use Google maps and see if you have a chimney. It wouldn't be a wood burning tax, it would be a chimney tax. Regardless of whether you even use it or not, you would be taxed simply for having it.

And I'm sure everyone who thinks red light cameras are a good idea will have no problem with our government using google maps to tax our chimneys because they are not doing anything wrong.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
They are already using google maps to calculate your rain tax, which BTW will be coming to St. Mary's within a year. Back on topic, my pellet stove will/can burn wood pellets, corn and/or sunflower seeds.

PsyOps

Pixelated
They are already using google maps to calculate your rain tax, which BTW will be coming to St. Mary's within a year. Back on topic, my pellet stove will/can burn wood pellets, corn and/or sunflower seeds.

This post has been reported to the IRS and MD Dept of Assesments and Taxation