Killing Conservative Books

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original source.

"The conservative book business has seen better days. Ten years ago, the genre was a major source of intellectual energy on the right, and the site of a publishing boom, with conservative imprints popping up at industry giants like Random House and Penguin. But after a decade of disruption, uneven sales, and fierce competition, many leading figures in the conservative literati fear the market has devolved into an echo of cable news, where an overcrowded field of preachers feverishly contends for the attention of the same choir.

“I think the problems in the conservative publishing arena are more acute than in the rest of the industry,” said Keith Urbahn, former chief of staff to Donald Rumsfeld, who now runs a communications firm in Washington and works as a literary agent for conservative authors.

The challenges afflicting the market are varied, but in interviews with BuzzFeed, several editors, agents, and executives faulted the same trend they were celebrating in 2003, when mainstream publishers began elevating conservative editors, like Adam Bellow and Adrian Zackheim, and luring high-profile Republican figures like consultant Mary Matalin into the book business. At the time, many on the right welcomed this development as the sort of victory that had eluded them in Hollywood, academia, and the mainstream press — a mass influx of conservatives that would wrest the industry from the hands of liberal elites, and work to reverse the tide of the culture wars."

"The gutting of the conservative book market could mark the end of a cycle that began in the summer of 1987, when a roomful of bemused Manhattan publishing types gathered at the offices of Simon & Schuster to toast Bloom, a University of Chicago philosopher whose new book, The Closing of the American Mind, condemned the American higher education system for having “impoverished the souls” of its students. The volume had become a surprise mega-hit, eventually selling more than a million copies by channeling a popular sentiment on the American right that few in the literary class could relate to.

Roger Kimball, a conservative critic present at the party, recalled meeting Simon & Schuster publisher Joni Evans. Kimball said Evans was “pleased as punch” to have a runaway bestseller on her hands, but seemed perplexed by the book’s success. “It was clear she had never opened the book,” he said. “She had no idea what was in it.”

Still, the book had alerted the New York publishing industry to a potentially lucrative fact: Conservatives knew how to read. "

"The casual Barnes & Noble browser is unlikely to have ever purchased one of these books — almost nobody does — but he will recognize the subgenre by its uniform covers: the patriotic color scheme, the besuited politician striking a square-shouldered pose, the author’s name and title stamped across the dust jacket in imposing, all-caps lettering.

Inside, the books follow a well-worn formula, lacing lofty talking points and vaguely drawn policy proposals with a sanitized personal narrative that reads as though it has been vetted by a thousand political operatives and stripped down to a fourth-grade reading level."

Attachments

• book sales.jpg
    book sales.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

SamSpade

Please. There's been at least one conservative political book on the NYT best-seller list for almost two decades. Currently, Krauthammer's book is still going strong.
It's even worse if you count conservative authors who write books about things other than politics - or whether you consider General Gates as conservative or not.
Books like Killing Jesus (by O'Reilly) and George Washington's Secret Six by Brian Kilmeade show that conservative authors don't need to always talk politics.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think Rush, Sean, O'Reilly or Ann Coulter have EVER written a book that did NOT make the NYT best-seller (although Rush has only recently released
a new book).

The truth is, conservative books always outsell liberal ones, a fact that liberal punditry is not unaware. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ive-books-sell-better-than-liberal-books-why/ That more and more conservatives take up a pen and manage
to fail at writing a best-seller means crap to me when so many others are burning up the charts; if anything, it's clear they want to cash in on a market ripe for harvest.
You don't see liberal writers falling all over each other to write, and you don't see publishers risking book deals for them.

Rommey

So, how are the books from liberal authors doing? If the whole political genre is down, then that is the more telling indicator of the sales, as opposed to one segment of the genre.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
So, how are the books from liberal authors doing] If the whole political genre is down, then that is the more telling indicator of the sales, as opposed to one segment of the genre.

They don't sell them, they have to give them away for free. :yay:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
So, how are the books from liberal authors doing? If the whole political genre is down, then that is the more telling indicator of the sales, as opposed to one segment of the genre.

Amazon is still almost paying customers to order Nancy Pelosi's book which has been in the basement since it was published. They need room for real pests like roaches and rats done there so they need to move her books out.l

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
someone refresh my memory, what happened to Air America :confused:

what are the top 20 radio shows

The Rush Limbaugh Show
The Sean Hannity Show
Morning Edition - NPR
All Things Considered - NPR
Marketplace - Economic Talk Radio
Delilah - She takes calls from listeners in her home studio, providing encouragement, support and receiving musical dedication requests.
The Dave Ramsey Show - Financial Talk
Glenn Beck Program
The Mark Levin Show
Fresh Air - Public News / Talk
A Prairie Home Companion - Public / Old Time Radio
The Savage Nation
Jim Bohannon - News Magazine
The Michael Medved Show - Conservative Talk Radio
Doug Stephan Good Day - News Magazine
Coast to Coast AM - Paranormal Talk
Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - Public Panel Game Show
The Lia Show - Country Music [The Lia Show, formerly known as Neon Nights, is a nationally syndicated country music and entertainment radio program]
The Kim Komando Show - Speciality [The Kim Komando Show is a commercial talk radio program focusing on personal computers, the use of the Internet, and the complexities of consumer electronics.]

daileyck1

someone refresh my memory, what happened to Air America :confused:

what are the top 20 radio shows

The Rush Limbaugh Show
The Sean Hannity Show
Morning Edition - NPR
All Things Considered - NPR
Marketplace - Economic Talk Radio
Delilah - She takes calls from listeners in her home studio, providing encouragement, support and receiving musical dedication requests.
The Dave Ramsey Show - Financial Talk
Glenn Beck Program
The Mark Levin Show
Fresh Air - Public News / Talk
A Prairie Home Companion - Public / Old Time Radio
The Savage Nation
Jim Bohannon - News Magazine
The Michael Medved Show - Conservative Talk Radio
Doug Stephan Good Day - News Magazine
Coast to Coast AM - Paranormal Talk
Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - Public Panel Game Show
The Lia Show - Country Music [The Lia Show, formerly known as Neon Nights, is a nationally syndicated country music and entertainment radio program]
The Kim Komando Show - Speciality [The Kim Komando Show is a commercial talk radio program focusing on personal computers, the use of the Internet, and the complexities of consumer electronics.]

who listens to talk radio?

daileyck1

Millions, and in some cases - tens of millions, depending on how you measure audience.

But why stop there? Who watches cable anymore? Who reads books anymore?

Apparently, a lot.

millions of old white guys, and id say max 20 million.
the gop has no clue how to talk to minoritys or the 18-30 demo.

SamSpade

or the 18-30 demo.

Nobody does. They vote less than any other group, they contribute less, spend less, participate less and by and large are the most uninformed demographic.
Some politicians may talk a good game, but where it matters, nobody gives a rat's ass.

And "old white guys" vote in numbers, especially in mid-terms.

daileyck1

Nobody does. They vote less than any other group, they contribute less, spend less, participate less and by and large are the most uninformed demographic.
Some politicians may talk a good game, but where it matters, nobody gives a rat's ass.

And "old white guys" vote in numbers, especially in mid-terms.

not when they are dead.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
who listens to talk radio?

ahhh the common attack of the left, when they no facts ....

I realize with the collapse of Air America, you are left with NPR, but millions listen

from Wikipedia[weekly listeners]:
[in millions] - Complied from Talkers Mag which complies Arbitron's Ratings Data

Rush 14 +
Hannity 13.5 +
Morning Edition 12.3
All things Considered 11.8
Marketplace 9 +
Delilah 8+
The Dave Ramsey Show 7.75 +
Glenn Beck 7.5 +
Mark Levin 7.5 +
Fresh Air 4.5
A Prairie Home Companion 3.5 + [weekends only]
The Savage Nation 3.5 +
Jim Bohannon 3.5 +
Michael Medved 3.5 +
Doug Stephen 3.5 +
Coast to Coast 3.25 + [overnights]
Wait Wait ... Dont Tell Me 3.2 [weekends] - On air Game Show
The Lia Show 2 + [Evenings]
Kim Komando 1.75 [Weekends]

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... or the 18-30 demo.

in my early 20's while I did vote [party line] I could care less about politics ...
.. until Klinton was elected ... then I started reading the Washington times cover to cover daily ... getting informed

since 2000 the internet makes it way easier to skip the big 3 ABC, CBS, NBC + CNN and get the facts unfiltered