Bill to protect Pax River could scuttle wind projects

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
By Timothy B. Wheeler, The Baltimore Sun

Legislation that could kill a $200 million wind energy project on the Eastern Shore is moving through the General Assembly, pushed by Southern Maryland lawmakers who contend the 600-foot tall turbines threaten their region's most important job generator, Naval Air Station Patuxent River.

But renewable-energy advocates are crying foul. They point out that the project's developer already has reached a deal with the Navy to curtail the turbines' operations so they wouldn't affect the air base. And they say the measure would derail a project that would bring much-needed revenue to one of Maryland's poorest counties and could cripple the state's efforts to get more electricity from wind.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-wind-paxriver-20140321,0,2088073.story#ixzz2wj9xwsPY

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
:yay:

Wind farms and solar arrays are a waste of taxpayer money when we have vast supplies of gas and coal

glhs837

Power with Control
See, that deal with the Navy? I wonder about that. Given the millions wasted by the Navy on the stupid "Green Navy" initiative converting a jet to run on a fuel that costs ten times what normal jet fuel does, I see that agreement as politically generated BS that would soon get trashed to let the wind guys do whatever the hell they pleased, because "it was only the stupid Navy thats preventing them from meeting the power levels they promised. ".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think that they probably had no plans to really build this, just blackmail the Navy into paying them to not build it.

The state sure has spent significant time and money "going through the motions" though. One of our representatives attended one of the "industry briefings" to look in to the windfarm support vessel requirements (looking for a bizop for boats we help build). The take-away is that the plans were fairly well along and developed. But it could (should) die for many economic and environmental reasons if those involved could be truthful...so having the Navy to blame the cancellation on would let some state officials off the hook...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The state sure has spent significant time and money "going through the motions" though. One of our representatives attended one of the "industry briefings" to look in to the windfarm support vessel requirements (looking for a bizop for boats we help build). The take-away is that the plans were fairly well along and developed. But it could (should) die for many economic and environmental reasons if those involved could be truthful...so having the Navy to blame the cancellation on would let some state officials off the hook...
Nothing says that the state couldn't be played just as easily. Why I say that it wouldn't surprise me though is that the location is at best marginal for a wind generation sight. Every part of the location is variable. The wind direction has 120° of daily swing, the wind speed is erratic but generally to low for consistent generation, the Doppler shifting screws up three different Navy radar systems, one of them a primary east coast approach for 3 different international airports.

:yay:

Wind farms and solar arrays are a waste of taxpayer money when we have vast supplies of gas and coal

And automobiles are a waste when we have perfectly good horses, and if god wanted us to fly he would have given us wings. What a luddite reaction!

Sure we have oil and gas now, and the use of it is poisoning our planet for future generations, I am amazed how teabaggers who cry about leaving future generations with a monetary deficit can espouse the use of fossil fuels which will do far greater damage to future generations.

And I also wonder how a high-falutin' multi million....billion...dollar state-of the-art radar system can get thrown akilter by windmills ala Don Quixote (similar to our defense policy).

Wow, all our adversaries have to do is put up a couple of windmills and they can defeat us, really????

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
And automobiles are a waste when we have perfectly good horses, and if god wanted us to fly he would have given us wings. What a luddite reaction!

Sure we have oil and gas now, and the use of it is poisoning our planet for future generations, I am amazed how teabaggers who cry about leaving future generations with a monetary deficit can espouse the use of fossil fuels which will do far greater damage to future generations.

And I also wonder how a high-falutin' multi million....billion...dollar state-of the-art radar system can get thrown akilter by windmills ala Don Quixote (similar to our defense policy).

Wow, all our adversaries have to do is put up a couple of windmills and they can defeat us, really????
Why exactly do you think your opinion should have the same weight as someone who actually knows how a radar system works?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

So, mo..here is where you actually have a second chance offered to you to repair your stupidity...to actually demonstrate that you know the first little thing about wind power generation and under what conditions and circumstances it is even remotely viable. We'll wait.

And while yr at, maybe you could also explain why you hate birds so much. Protected species and the rest.

nutz

So, mo..here is where you actually have a second chance offered to you to repair your stupidity...to actually demonstrate that you know the first little thing about wind power generation and under what conditions and circumstances it is even remotely viable. We'll wait.

And while yr at, maybe you could also explain why you hate birds so much. Protected species and the rest.

Spotted owls and eagles don't mix well with these things. Are there other species that are attracted?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:lol: Don't be a dumbass
The ONLY reason solar and wind are being pushed are because the folks pushing it are in a position to make millions of $$
The technology is not mature enough to support itself.
Were there government subsidies to encourage the use of cars instead of horses or were cars a better more economical idea?
... and if you think man made CO2 is a problem check the actual numbers

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Spotted owls and eagles don't mix well with these things. Are there other species that are attracted?

In the farms out west, golden and bald eagles. Their killings, illegal under all other circumstances, are being waivered by Obama admin. In the offshore farms we are working on off the northern coast of England, the operators have to collect and catalog the dead birds they find in the water. It's lots of them...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Because my taxes paid for it? And apparently your salary, food, housing, healthcare.....
Your misguided beliefs about being a part owner in these radar systems is not going to change the physics of the situation.

nutz

In the farms out west, golden and bald eagles. Their killings, illegal under all other circumstances, are being waivered by Obama admin. In the offshore farms we are working on off the northern coast of England, the operators have to collect and catalog the dead birds they find in the water. It's lots of them...
Obama, ugghhhh. Have they figured out what attracts the birds yet? Or is it simply wrong place/wrong time?