Girl, 9, Barred from school...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Typical knee-jerk reaction from school officials that only have one response to every situation that requires common sense, but that they have no textbook answer for: suspend the kid first, get ridiculed, then back off into reasonableness.

A lot like the L-shaped pop tart incident.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Why is shaving your head considered a such bad thing that it has to be banned as part of the dress code? If I were a parent with a kid in that school I'd rally up all the other parents to get their kids to shave their heads in honor of the student with cancer and watch the school struggle with what to do then.

Just more evidence of the ever-growing stupidity in our schools. What sort of lesson does this teach our kids.......... stopping support good causes and trying to be upstanding citizens. Oh I forgot, they're too busy teaching our kids real values by showing them how to put condoms on cucumbers and how to do common core math.

sockgirl77

Had this been a public school I would be outraged. But, it is a private school and it is not a big shocker that they have a strict dress code. :shrug:

Hijinx

Had this been a public school I would be outraged. But, it is a private school and it is not a big shocker that they have a strict dress code. :shrug:

Well you are right, it is a private school. but I would make bet that nowhere in their dress code does it actually say kids cannot shave their head.
The mother should demand to see it in writing.

I suspect this decision was made by some Imperialistic dictator in the principle's office.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well you are right, it is a private school. but I would make bet that nowhere in their dress code does it actually say kids cannot shave their head.
The mother should demand to see it in writing.

I suspect this decision was made by some Imperialistic dictator in the principle's office.

You would be wrong. Boys - http://caprockacademy.org/caprock-essentials/dress-code/boys-grade-school-dress-code/ Girls - http://caprockacademy.org/caprock-essentials/dress-code/girls-grade-school-dress-code/

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I'm all for dress codes. But what would this school do if one of their students had the cancer and lost his/her hair due to the treatment? If those students had refused to wear a wig or wait until it grows out naturally and were suspended, I see a medical discrimination lawsuit of biblical proportions.

Just allow the girl to wear some kind of school-approved hat as respect to her dedication to her very ill friend. I can see her classmates approving of what she did, and any distraction would subdue in about a day or two.

Ken King

PREMO Member
The links will not work for me, but I'm going to assume that it also mentions not having non-natural colored hair. Most private schools do not allow shaved head or bright colored (pink, blue, etc) hair.

They worked earlier, guess the server for the school is having problems or it was pulled.

Anyway, they had comments about abnormal colors and such or even drastically changing the color during the year.

sockgirl77

They worked earlier, guess the server for the school is having problems or it was pulled.

Anyway, they had comments about abnormal colors and such or even drastically changing the color during the year.

That's the normal for private schools and I am sure that this girl's family knew that. What she did was wonderful, but it still breaks the school's rules. It's a double standard, really. Most private school parents would be appalled if they saw girls sporting shaved heads to be punk. Yet, they think it's fine for a good cause.

Toxick

Splat
Why is shaving your head considered a such bad thing that it has to be banned as part of the dress code?

Shaved head = skin head = racism.

Actually it said in the article: the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

Shaven heads probably fall under the "distracting" category.

Just read further - this is not a private school.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's the normal for private schools and I am sure that this girl's family knew that. What she did was wonderful, but it still breaks the school's rules. It's a double standard, really. Most private school parents would be appalled if they saw girls sporting shaved heads to be punk. Yet, they think it's fine for a good cause.

In other words, no common sense applied at all?

PsyOps

Pixelated

Actually it said in the article: the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

Is that what you see when you see a shaved head? I better let all the black people I see with shaved know how racist they are :rolleyes:

I think common sense should allow the school to make exceptions. But we don’t have common sense anymore, so never mind that.

sockgirl77

Technically, no. It is a charter school. My kids are in a charter school. While they have to adhere to the public school's curriculum, they have their own rules and standards. Most charter schools are just like a private school, only they get partially funded by the Board of Ed.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Is that what you see when you see a shaved head? I better let all the black people I see with shaved know how racist they are :rolleyes:

I think common sense should allow the school to make exceptions. But we don’t have common sense anymore, so never mind that.

I would say that it is more likely what those administrators see, thus it is why they made their rules. Should they not have the freedom to expect certain behavior from their students?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
"Oh, we are so pleased to have Kamryn back in school today. In fact, we're so happy we're gonna call a special meeting of the board to discuss her tonight. Our pleasure at having Kamryn back on Wednesday may change."

Last edited:

Hijinx

I see a lot of St. Mary's County Deputy's with shaved heads.