Is this a sign of the times we live in?

mamatutu

mama to two
My husband (ultra runner) participated in the St. Mary's College Cross Country start of the season 24 hour run this past Friday through Saturday (they invited the public to participate). He is trying to train for a 100 miler race at the end of April. He came back to his car to find that the Jaguar symbol had been torn off the hood of his car. We are talking a 2003 Jag, so I don't see the reason for this. It is old. We are sad. St. Mary's students are privileged. Even if they are not, for whatever reason, I still don't get it. Why would this happen at this campus? I know, it is life, and things happen, but I, seriously, don't get it. One brief moment of thuggery causes others a big headache. There was damage to his hood. :frown:

Last edited:

Catman2

Poor you. A cheap piece of metal from a luxury car. A true disaster. Try losing a child, you victim of a heinous crime.

glhs837

Power with Control
Poor you. A cheap piece of metal from a luxury car. A true disaster. Try losing a child, you victim of a heinous crime.

Oh Jesus, get over yourself, Catman. Since everything that ever happens to anyone is a lesser tragedy than losing a child, nobody should ever feel bad about a thing that happened? You are an ass. A 2003 Jag was an expensive luxury car when new, now has a value roughly half of what a new compact car costs. Folks who can afford a new one would have bought one a long time ago rather than droive an old one. Some folks drive older luxury cars just because they love them. And a $80 or $100 hood ornamamet might leave a hole in the budget, not to mention the silly amount of money repairs tot he hood might be.

Mama, assuming it's an XJ8, the most common Jag for that year, you can get a real ornament under $100 from ebay, looks like a simple bolt on. Hoods can be had for around $200, but that assumes you could find one close, as shipping would kill you, and of course the right color might be tough.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...t&_nkw=2003+jaguar+xj8+hood+ornament&_sacat=0

I agree it's sad that someone would just walk up and damage a car like that. But it isnt a sign of the times, stealing cool car emblems and ornaments has been going on as long as there have been cool ones to take. Theres a reason for this setup....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9mp2xcl-k

dan0623_2000

Sure you can get them off E-Bay but it is a lot more fun to be able to claim you stole it off a rich person's car's car so they could come onto SOMD forums and moan about they were abused.

glhs837

Power with Control
See, there's the problem. Assuming someone who owns a car worth between 6,000-10,000 is rich is silly, I would venture that the average students car among those own them, is well above that in value. And I go through there quite often and frequent Cooks and St James, so I see a lot of the students cars.

And about those Ebay ones, the ones less than say $50, those are cheap Chinese knockoffs.

Last edited:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Did you report it to the campus police? It might turn up in the dorm, but then again a lot of folks that don't have anything to do with the college hang out there so who knows.

RPMDAD

sorry to hear that mama, i hope he did report it to campus security and or police though.

ontheriver

Glhs, I agree people have been stealing hood ornaments since there were hood ornaments. Sorry mama. If it were my car, I'd be mad too.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
He came back to his car to find that the Jaguar symbol had been torn off the hood of his car. We are talking a 2003 Jag, so I don't see the reason for this.
Extremely common to have those stolen which is why they no longer put those or the Mercedes emblems on the cars

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
why are you blaming students? You said public was invited, sure there was other besides your husband!!!!!

tommyjo

St. Mary's students are privileged. Even if they are not, for whatever reason, I still don't get it. Why would this happen at this campus?

I get that you are upset/mad.

As usual, your comments do not pass for logic. Are you of the opinion (based on the title of your post) that nothing was ever stolen, no stupid prank, no idiotic membership ritual ever occurred on a college campus (or in society) until someone stole your hood ornament? I am sure you will find some way to blame this on the MSM and/or liberals...because God knows there was no thievery in the past!

You know about the "knock out" game but don't know kids steal hood ornaments?

Why do you say St Mary's students are "privileged"? The cost of tuition is certainly not out of line with other schools in MD. College is not a privilege in today's economy, it is a requirement. Or are you just mad because they are able to or choose to go to college?

You may now call on Tilted to defend you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry to hear that, MKK.

And thank you to all the folks who put the idiots in their place. :huggy: If you don't like living in America where people are allowed to drive whatever car they like and can afford, go live somewhere else. As has been pointed out, a 10 year old car doesn't mean you're some rich elitist.

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
It is sad that nothing is safe anymore, property or person. Someone only did it because they could, no value to anyone except to you and your husband. No value to the criminal although maybe a trophy of sorts. Sheesh, lets hope they don't become a collector of ornaments and emblems. I have heard of such a thing in the past. It was totally uncalled for and I hope you reported it. Any chance your insurance might cover it? Hope so.

:coffee:

idiganthro

Damn, some people are lacking the empathy gene...

Sorry that happened to you. I don't think it can be assumed that it was a student, but in any case, sorry that you have an unnecessary repair to pay for.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Sure you can get them off E-Bay but it is a lot more fun to be able to claim you stole it off a rich person's car's car so they could come onto SOMD forums and moan about they were abused.

It used to be called "BLING" before only shiny gold-like finishes qualified for that moniker. The hood ornament of a luxury car somehow bestows an upper class patina on a sewer dweller.

bilbur

My husband (ultra runner) participated in the St. Mary's College Cross Country start of the season 24 hour run this past Friday through Saturday (they invited the public to participate). He is trying to train for a 100 miler race at the end of April. He came back to his car to find that the Jaguar symbol had been torn off the hood of his car. We are talking a 2003 Jag, so I don't see the reason for this. It is old. We are sad. St. Mary's students are privileged. Even if they are not, for whatever reason, I still don't get it. Why would this happen at this campus? I know, it is life, and things happen, but I, seriously, don't get it. One brief moment of thuggery causes others a big headache. There was damage to his hood. :frown:

Sorry to hear this, it is frustrating to say the least. A few years back kids stole the center caps from my 03 Dodge Dakota. I was mad, I kept that truck in pristine condition. I purchased replacements but didn't put them on unless I was going someplace where I wanted the truck to look perfect. This happened in the parking lot of my condo complex, it is bad when your vehicle isn't even safe in your own parking lot.