Another Accident on rt 4

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is really something wrong with this stretch of road from Sixes to just north of Mr. Tire that so many serious accidents happen.

And yet hundreds, thousands?, of people drive it every day without incident. Same with the bridge. So I will suggest the problem is not with the road.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And yet hundreds, thousands?, of people drive it every day without incident. Same with the bridge. So I will suggest the problem is not with the road.

You trying to start a fight with me? :boxing:

I know it's the drivers. I drive 4 every day and this stretch has a problem where accidents are becoming more prevalent. And they aren’t just fender benders; they are disasters. Speed, blind entrances, people not using turn signals… I typically blame poor driving skills on accidents, but when they happen often in one area, something else is a factor.

terbear1225

pretty sure this accident was the end of a police chase. I would assume that was the overriding factor this time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Looks like it happened just north of this driveway. Want to bet on a simple failure to yield? Poor driving. Most of the accidents we see on 4 are people who just cant comprehend that you cannot just enter a 55 mph freeway at 5mph.

Hank

my war
Looks like it happened just north of this driveway. Want to bet on a simple failure to yield? Poor driving. Most of the accidents we see on 4 are people who just cant comprehend that you cannot just enter a 55 mph freeway at 5mph.

Especially when the vehicles are going 80mph.

mamatutu

mama to two

That was my thought, as well. I have seen drivers pull out at a snail's pace in front of traffic, or zip across when it is not safe, so they can go north. It makes me cringe, and I slow down, and hope there is not an accident. I can't imagine that whoever was driving the white car survived. Truly awful.

Vince

You trying to start a fight with me? :boxing:

I know it's the drivers. I drive 4 every day and this stretch has a problem where accidents are becoming more prevalent. And they aren’t just fender benders; they are disasters. Speed, blind entrances, people not using turn signals… I typically blame poor driving skills on accidents, but when they happen often in one area, something else is a factor.
I know. I know the answer. MORE STOP LIGHTS! :sarcasm:

:lol:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Especially when the vehicles are going 80mph.

And you know the truck was going 80 because? I know the average speeds on 4 pretty good, and 80s an outlier. Most folks are in the 65-70 range tops, in the left lane, with the right being closer to 60ish. All the crashes I see happen on 4, and I read the reports pretty close, I rarely see speed as the primary cause, very few are not failure to yield. The occasional person who crosses the median, but those pare pretty rare. I'm open to new data if you have any.

CrashTest

Most of the accidents we see on 4 are people who just cant comprehend that you cannot just enter a 55 mph freeway at 5mph.

This is why I was opposed to the Tom Hodges road. If you can't reduce the number of idiots, then the only thing you can do is reduce the number of opportunities for them to be idiots.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
This is why I was opposed to the Tom Hodges road. If you can't reduce the number of idiots, then the only thing you can do is reduce the number of opportunities for them to be idiots.

I haven't seen one accident there, unlike the Saint John's crossover.

glhs837

Power with Control
They will put in traffic control device at Sixes & 4, After development starts near that intersection, which should start soon. Too late IMHO.

But this accident apparentley happened before that intersection going north, so a light there wouldn't have done squat for this accident

CrashTest

I haven't seen one accident there, unlike the Saint John's crossover.
Then close St John's and move everyone down to Hodges. Maybe Hodges is magical.

Either way, unsignalized, at-grade intersections on these high speed roads are a disaster waiting to happen as glhs points out.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Then close St John's and move everyone down to Hodges. Maybe Hodges is magical.

Either way, unsignalized, at-grade intersections on these high speed roads are a disaster waiting to happen as glhs points out.

A light was supposed to be installed at the Saint John's intersection, but I don't know what the status is on that. I use Tom Hodges each and every day and have never had a problem. I just wait until there is enough time to cross. That happens easily due to the traffic lights at Airport Drive and Sotterley Road. It really isn't that big of a deal.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, one of the oddballs. For those unwilling to click a link, the driver of the smaller white car was fleeing police, and was southbound in the northbound lane. Fatal mistake on his part.

Hank

my war
And you know the truck was going 80 because? I know the average speeds on 4 pretty good, and 80s an outlier. Most folks are in the 65-70 range tops, in the left lane, with the right being closer to 60ish. All the crashes I see happen on 4, and I read the reports pretty close, I rarely see speed as the primary cause, very few are not failure to yield. The occasional person who crosses the median, but those pare pretty rare. I'm open to new data if you have any.

Dude, I was just making a comment that people go way too fast on that road. Take it easy.

glhs837

Power with Control
Dude, I was just making a comment that people go way too fast on that road. Take it easy.

And I was rebutting your comment, I was easy :) If people traveled "way too fast" there would be a lot more crashes than there are.

Hank

my war
And I was rebutting your comment, I was easy :) If people traveled "way too fast" there would be a lot more crashes than there are.

Well, when I am going 65, and I travel 4 a lot, people are blazing by me. I estimate 80mph. You don't have to crash to drive like an ass/hole.