Gonna ride metro for the first time any tips?

catlingirl

Myself and my daughter plus her friend are going to the Verizon Center next month and are going to ride metro for the first time, anyone have any tips? We're coming from Prince Frederick. Thanks

Urbanite

Myself and my daughter plus her friend are going to the Verizon Center next month and are going to ride metro for the first time, anyone have any tips? We're coming from Prince Frederick. Thanks

Trust me on this one, make sure your smart phones, tablets etc are hidden and do NOT use them while on the Metro or waiting for the Metro, and there's a difference between going during the day or nighttime. If you go at night, be sure to park under a light and close to the station for your safety.

Shaolin_Raptor

What stop will you get using? If you are using Branch Avenue, don't. Just drive on into VA and get on in Crystal City or Pentagon City.

Chris0nllyn

The closest stops to you Branch Ave or Suitland. Both of which are in "not-so-good" parts of town.

It's very easy to drive straight to the Verizon center and just pay to park.

If you are set using the Metro, watch a video on how to load the pay card. It can be a PITA the first time. Then ride the Green Line from whatever station you choose to the Mt. Vernon Square/7th St - Convention Center stop (it's the 11th stop from Branch Ave).

Last edited:

Restless

I don't ride Metro that often but know enough to say that the closest station is at Branch Avenue. Not the nicest area but it would be okay during the day because there are lots of commuters there. At night, I wouldn't do it. Perhaps driving into Virginia and getting metro from there.

It is sad but the line that starts at Branch Avenue goes through lots of high crime areas. We avoid it unless we have a weekday trip into DC. Do not ride it at night.

Hope this helps!

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I have ridden from the Branch Ave location many times with no issues. I have also never had anything taken from me or anyone else who has ridden with us. We have also ridden at different times, the latest being just before midnight, never had any problems.

Restless

I have ridden from the Branch Ave location many times with no issues. I have also never had anything taken from me or anyone else who has ridden with us. We have also ridden at different times, the latest being just before midnight, never had any problems.

It would probably be okay if you had a guy with you, but three ladies would not be as safe, IMHO.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It would probably be okay if you had a guy with you, but three ladies would not be as safe, IMHO.

You guys are being ridiculous. Three ladies are completely safe, safety in numbers, :blahblah:

Branch Ave is totally safe and reliable. It's surrounded by luxury apartments for cripes sake. Take normal, every day precautions, yes park your car near a light, don't wear a bunch of blingy expensive shiat. Scary situations can happen anywhere.

Catlingirl: Get yourselves one of those one-day tickets, the info will all be on the boards right there in the station to let you know how much you'll need to get yourselves to the Verizon Center and back. I can't remember exactly what they're called, I'm from CT so I still have NYC and Boston systems stuck in my head. Last time I used it was to see a Caps game at Verizon Center and we got off at Gallery Place/Chinatown. We parked the car (in a well-lit area :eyeroll:) at Branch Ave then rode in. I met my guy there bc I was coming from work and he was coming from Prince Frederick. Took us maybe 45 mins total from station to station. After the game we walked maybe a block from the arena and got some great food in Chinatown.

Branch Ave is the start of the Green line. You can ride that straight to Gallery Place. Gallery Place is one of the connecting stations, so there's several lines that go in and out, so just read the signs when you're entering back in to go home. They're very well-marked. As far as I know there isn't any construction going on in that station. Very simple :yay:

If you go into this trip all anxious and worried, 1. you'll just make it obvious that you're new to it and possibly a better target and 2. you won't enjoy the experience with your daughter and her friend and whatever you guys are going to see. I'm a country girl and the only thing that worries me about the Metro is getting lost :lol: I'm having a hard time understanding DC! I used to go into NYC and Boston on the train systems all the time by myself during college for parties. I was fine bc I was safe.

warneckutz

You guys are being ridiculous. Three ladies are completely safe, safety in numbers, :blahblah:

Branch Ave is totally safe and reliable. It's surrounded by luxury apartments for cripes sake. Take normal, every day precautions, yes park your car near a light, don't wear a bunch of blingy expensive shiat. Scary situations can happen anywhere.

Get yourselves one of those one-day tickets, the info will all be on the boards right there in the station to let you know how much you'll need to get yourselves to the Verizon Center and back. I can't remember exactly what they're called, I'm from CT so I still have NYC and Boston systems stuck in my head. Last time I used it was to see a Caps game at Verizon Center and we got off at Gallery Place/Metro Center. We parked the car (in a well-lit area :eyeroll:) at Branch Ave then rode in. I met my guy there bc I was coming from work and he was coming from Prince Frederick. Took us maybe 45 mins total from station to station. After the game we walked maybe a block from the arena and got some great food in Chinatown.

Catlingirl: Branch Ave is the start of the Green line. You can ride that straight to Gallery Place. Gallery Place is one of the connecting stations, so there's several lines that go in and out, so just read the signs when you're entering back in to go home. They're very well-marked. As far as I know there isn't any construction going on in that station. Very simple :yay:

If you go into this trip all anxious and worried, 1. you'll just make it obvious that you're new to it and possibly a better target and 2. you won't enjoy the experience with your daughter and her friend and whatever you guys are going to see. I'm a country girl and the only thing that worries me about the Metro is getting lost :lol: I'm having a hard time understanding DC! I used to go into NYC and Boston on the train systems all the time by myself during college for parties. I was fine bc I was safe.

Straight up, gangsta! :biggrin:

ZARA

Catlingirl: Get yourselves one of those one-day tickets, the info will all be on the boards right there in the station to let you know how much you'll need to get yourselves to the Verizon Center and back. I can't remember exactly what they're called, I'm from CT so I still have NYC and Boston systems stuck in my head. Last time I used it was to see a Caps game at Verizon Center and we got off at Gallery Place/Chinatown. We parked the car (in a well-lit area :eyeroll:) at Branch Ave then rode in. I met my guy there bc I was coming from work and he was coming from Prince Frederick. Took us maybe 45 mins total from station to station. After the game we walked maybe a block from the arena and got some great food in Chinatown.

Branch Ave is the start of the Green line. You can ride that straight to Gallery Place. Gallery Place is one of the connecting stations, so there's several lines that go in and out, so just read the signs when you're entering back in to go home. They're very well-marked. As far as I know there isn't any construction going on in that station. Very simple :yay:

If you go into this trip all anxious and worried,
1. you'll just make it obvious that you're new to it and possibly a better target and
2. you won't enjoy the experience with your daughter and her friend and whatever you guys are going to see. I'm a country girl and the only thing that worries me about the Metro is getting lost

:lol: I'm having a hard time understanding DC! I used to go into NYC and Boston on the train systems all the time by myself during college for parties. I was fine bc I was safe.

Excellent advice. The more out going you are, the safer you are. I have never had an issue riding the metro.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
The closest stops to you Branch Ave or Suitland. Both of which are in "not-so-good" parts of town.

I have ridden the metro hundreds of times from the branch ave stop at all times of day and night. I have never had any problems there.

C

czygvtwkr

Make sure you have enough money on your card when you leave so that you can get out of the parking lot because you have to pay for parking.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Never had an issue at branch ave and use it frequently for trips into the city. Keep your phone in your bag because those are getting snatched (everywhere not just dc or on the metro) and dont wear anything gaudy. Thats good advice no matter what line you ride.

Everytime I have been on that green line train (at all hours of the day and night) its been a very quiet uneventful ride. Best tip is to park buy the streetlights up near the front of the entrance. Then right inside you will see the fare machines. They tell you at the top how much you need on a farecard, or you can go on metro's site and calculate it beforehand. Make sure you have a credit card or a metro card with enough to pay for parking if you're there when payment is required.

otherwise its a total breeze to get to verizon center, the stop is right there by the entrance.

val2201

The only issue I've ever had with Branch Avenue was not being able to get parking when I tried to use it on a week day morning. It was completely packed and we had to drive around until someone left. I've never felt unsafe there either on the metro or during the ride.