What's going on behind BJ's?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Was there a robbery or something? I'm sitting on my balcony watching people get pulled over on this little road. It's continuous, the cops will pull somebody over, spend a few minutes with them, send them on their way, then pull somebody else over. There are two of them working this block. Nobody was speeding that I saw, and the cars aren't all the same color like it's a BOLO.

It's been going on for about an hour now.

warneckutz

Is the light at 235/4 congested? Maybe people are trying to beat that light to the base by skipping through this back road?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Was there a robbery or something? I'm sitting on my balcony watching people get pulled over on this little road. It's continuous, the cops will pull somebody over, spend a few minutes with them, send them on their way, then pull somebody else over. There are two of them working this block. Nobody was speeding that I saw, and the cars aren't all the same color like it's a BOLO.

I might be one of those "safety checks" when they check for seat belt usage.

Justme2

Well, they are in the area all over this morning. They had two cars pulled over up from Kmart also I think they are just working the area. But to be specfic for the road you are talking about. Down the street at the corner going to the intersection you are talking about at the 90 degree turn is a stop sign. Yup a STOP SIGN to turn right with no real possible cross traffic coming. So the cops sit up from that 90 degree turn and every one that SLOWS UP AT THE STOP SIGN AND DOESNOT STOP AT THE STOP SIGN depending on their attitude my or may not get a ticket. I'm guessing there

Beta

Smile!
New bowling alley survey?
maybe a movie theater survey

Well, they are in the area all over this morning. They had two cars pulled over up from Kmart also I think they are just working the area. But to be specfic for the road you are talking about. Down the street at the corner going to the intersection you are talking about at the 90 degree turn is a stop sign. Yup a STOP SIGN to turn right with no real possible cross traffic coming. So the cops sit up from that 90 degree turn and every one that SLOWS UP AT THE STOP SIGN AND DOESNOT STOP AT THE STOP SIGN depending on their attitude my or may not get a ticket. I'm guessing there
what about the people making a u-turn?

glhs837

Power with Control
Are they pulling them northbound or southbound Vrai? If it's northbound, what Just2Me said, they are most likely nabbing folks here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2972188,-76.5194165,113m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I know that stop sign was placed envisioning the FDR full build, but until they get that going again, the stop is silly, as noted there's no cross traffic.

If it's southbound, my guess would be that they are nailing folks for failing to get a full stop before right on red out at St Andrews church Rd. Last point, I suspect there's grant money to be spent and this gets the max citations in the least amount of time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From the direction, it's feasible that they're pulling them over for not stopping at that stop sign. But that seems crazy. It went on for a couple hours, one right after the other, two cops pulling over a car each. #1, there were so many of them; #2...I mean, that stop sign is just stupid in the first place. Could they possibly be so bored and/or the county so financially challenged that they'd actually vigorously enforce a full stop at that sign??

BernieP

Resident PIA
Consider this - Apartments and Military housing. "Citizen Complaints"
Could just be a friendly "reminder" that it's not a thru street, that's what RT 4 and 235 are for.
And if you do use the road, please obey the signs which includes the speed limit.
We were coming out of Giant the other day and someone commented that they were going to need to put a light in there as traffic was backed up in front of the store because of the thru traffic.

Beta

Smile!
Consider this - Apartments and Military housing. "Citizen Complaints"
Could just be a friendly "reminder" that it's not a thru street, that's what RT 4 and 235 are for.
And if you do use the road, please obey the signs which includes the speed limit.
We were coming out of Giant the other day and someone commented that they were going to need to put a light in there as traffic was backed up in front of the store because of the thru traffic.

Yeah, nothing like only having RTs 4 & 235 for all of that traffic and pulling people over for daring to try another route that happens to work better :lol:

FED_UP

So you’re the hot blonde what was standing on the balcony. :hot:

bilbur

Yeah, nothing like only having RTs 4 & 235 for all of that traffic and pulling people over for daring to try another route that happens to work better :lol:

What ever happened to extending that road all the way to Chancellors? This would relieve some of the congestion and provide a second option for St. Mary's people when the bridge is shut down. I hate the fact that the county is as big as it is but now that it is past the point of no return it is time to update the infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc...) to handle the amount of people in the area.

glhs837

Power with Control
Last point, I suspect there's grant money to be spent and this gets the max citations in the least amount of time.

..I mean, that stop sign is just stupid in the first place. Could they possibly be so bored and/or the county so financially challenged that they'd actually vigorously enforce a full stop at that sign??

It's not about the citation money, per se. they really dont make money on that. But grant money buys overtime, and overtime buys happy troopers without costing the county. One of the bad things about using federal money to entice enforcement through grants. you get enforcement that might not really address what citizens need. I noticed an article a week or so back about Calvert doing a distracted driving enforcement binge, paid for by grant money, and the article stated that the only reason they did that work was because they had grant money. Silly, they can spend county money on speed enforcement, but not on cell phone enforcement. Still good enforcement that should be done more often, but why only when you have grant money?

Bernie, as far as I know, those are all public roads, as long as you don't go through the parking lots, you are in violation of no law.

glhs837

Power with Control
What ever happened to extending that road all the way to Chancellors? This would relieve some of the congestion and provide a second option for St. Mary's people when the bridge is shut down. I hate the fact that the county is as big as it is but now that it is past the point of no return it is time to update the infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc...) to handle the amount of people in the area.

I think the hold up is both funding and the folks in these two neighborhoods here.......

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.289332,-76.5015793,16z?hl=en

OldHillcrestGuy

It may also be a cellphone enforcement, Charles County has been doing it frequently and I beleive the police departments throughtout the state are doing a cellphone awareness enforcement this month.