CVS takes over Chesapeake Pharmacy

Catman2

I am deeply saddened by this coup. I only recognize one familiar (friendly) face from the old crew. Most clerks used to retrieve my Rx without batting an eye. New crew is somewhat lost. Any body else get this feel?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
In Chesapeake Beach near the Rod 'N' Reel. It had been there around 25 or so years.

I don't know why Catman2 is surprised, Leo Mallard announced this a couple moths ago and there were several news stories about it. Apparently the rent became too high for his business model so he sold the business to CVS. Also, a lot of employers drug plans have switched to having CVS as the sole covered vendor. Mine did. He did keep his shop at the intersection of 2 and 260, which has been there around 30 years.

According to a couple of news stories the employees who wished to stay with CVS were retained.

nobody really

I need a nap
I went in there the other day, and was surprised to see it was a CVS. guess I missed the articles on it. I wish they would get rid of Rolands, they have got to have the highest prices around. I know, you pay for convenience, but I can't see how anyone can be a regular shopper there. except they have some quite tasty artery clogging fried chicken.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I went in there the other day, and was surprised to see it was a CVS. guess I missed the articles on it. I wish they would get rid of Rolands, they have got to have the highest prices around. I know, you pay for convenience, but I can't see how anyone can be a regular shopper there. except they have some quite tasty artery clogging fried chicken.

Yeah, it was only the headline in The Recorder and the two free papers, Gazette and Current.

As far as Roland's, they became the only game in town when the Town of North Beach started to try to close down the IGA back in the 1980s when Buck Gott was Mayor. It was finally successful in 2000 when Mark Frazer was Mayor.

Now the property is owned by (non)developer Ron Russo who is promising to build a hotel on the property. Sometime. Maybe. If he feels like it. And can get so many concessions that the town's residents will end up being the ones who pay for it.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I am deeply saddened by this coup. I only recognize one familiar (friendly) face from the old crew. Most clerks used to retrieve my Rx without batting an eye. New crew is somewhat lost. Any body else get this feel?

I am sorry to say this but the days of the independent pharmacy are gone. The chains have pretty much replaced the locally owned and operated stores.
We were Thrift customers at one time. I think they were owned by a retailer - maybe JCP - who then acquired CVS. The Thrift stores were converted / closed and stuff was transferred to the CVS.
Service at Thrift wasn't super, but it beat the hell out of the idiots at CVS. One pharmacist was rude and barely spoke English.
Transferred to Target when they opened.
I have been impressed that a chain I could get the customer service. Even with the turnover in staff, I typically don't have to tell them who I am and the pharmacists have been helpful when I had a question.

Good luck.

dilligaf.

If I lived in CB or NB, I would be ecstatic! CVS has awesome sales every week - on over the counter medicines, laundry detergent, toothpaste, soda etc etc! Rather than having to buy the overpriced same stuff at Rolands or having to drive to a real grocery store in Dunkirk or Prince Frederick.

Catman2

If I lived in CB or NB, I would be ecstatic! CVS has awesome sales every week - on over the counter medicines, laundry detergent, toothpaste, soda etc etc! Rather than having to buy the overpriced same stuff at Rolands or having to drive to a real grocery store in Dunkirk or Prince Frederick.

You wouldn't be ecstatic if you walked into a pharmacy where the clerks AND pharmacists know your name, your medical history, and are NICE...then one day, they are replaced by incompantent strangers.

dilligaf.

You wouldn't be ecstatic if you walked into a pharmacy where the clerks AND pharmacists know your name, your medical history, and are NICE...then one day, they are replaced by incompantent strangers.

Strangers are just friends waiting to happen. Oh wait, I forgot - this is Calvert County - so getting to know a stranger should be avoided at all costs.

I bet some people prefer the "anonymity" of not personally knowing the pharmacist. Just imagine if you had some embarrassing condition that needed to be treated - I don't need to be all buddy buddy with the pharmacist.

The store manager of CVS Solomons is awesome and so are the cashiers.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA

as I said, I was reluctant in the switch to Target. BUT it's worked out fine. I've seen the staff change over the years, but I'd say 9 out of 10 times someone recognizes me when I pick up.