Lawn Mower Repair Recommendations

JazCat

Good morning, all. Could I please get some recommendations for lawn mower repair places in the Waldorf area? A lot of white smoke is coming out of the mower, the engine is doing a lot of knocking, and it's leaking oil. I found four companies online, but I wanted to wait to see if any forumites had had good or bad experiences with their repairs. The companies are Tool Solutions, Rusty's Mower Repair, Alex's Mobile Repair, and Mower Medic. Also, if you think it would just be better to buy a new mower, please let me know that too. My present mower is five years old. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Good morning, all. Could I please get some recommendations for lawn mower repair places in the Waldorf area? A lot of white smoke is coming out of the mower, the engine is doing a lot of knocking, and it's leaking oil. I found four companies online, but I wanted to wait to see if any forumites had had good or bad experiences with their repairs. The companies are Tool Solutions, Rusty's Mower Repair, Alex's Mobile Repair, and Mower Medic. Also, if you think it would just be better to buy a new mower, please let me know that too. My present mower is five years old. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replace it.

FED_UP

Make sure the oil is not overfilled.

Justme2

good morning, all. Could i please get some recommendations for lawn mower repair places in the waldorf area? A lot of white smoke is coming out of the mower, the engine is doing a lot of knocking, and it's leaking oil. I found four companies online, but i wanted to wait to see if any forumites had had good or bad experiences with their repairs. The companies are tool solutions, rusty's mower repair, alex's mobile repair, and mower medic. Also, if you think it would just be better to buy a new mower, please let me know that too. My present mower is five years old. Thanks in advance for any help.
smoking part could be too much oil. But the knocking part buy new one.

BernieP

Resident PIA
smoking part could be too much oil. But the knocking part buy new one.

first order would be to pull the plug and see if it's black, or what.

My experience would say anything beyond a blade sharpening, oil change and a new spark plug will cost you a significant amount of money.
But that's the basic small engine / mower repair. It's a good thing to do annually.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
smoking part could be too much oil.

:yeahthat: Smoking and knocking sounds could be from overfilling the case with oil, causing it to enter the combustion chamber. The smoke is caused by burn off and the knock could be misfires and/or raised compression.

Before you take it too someone, check the oil level. Good luck.

Last edited:

fromchaptico

Hugh C Gardiners in Faulkner services my equipment. I also bought my mowers from them. They aren't exactly in Waldorf, but they aren't too far away. Nice people, and they have fixed my lawn cutting problems the first time, every time. I find them a bit on the pricey side, but compared to the crap I bought at Lowes....well, there really is no comparison.

JazCat

:yeahthat: Smoking and knocking sounds could be from overfilling the case with oil, causing it to enter the combustion chamber. The smoke is caused by burn off and the knock could be misfires and/or raised compression.

Before you take it too someone, check the oil level. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. After telling my co-workers about my lack of lawn mower know-how, they also came to the conclusion that there was too much oil in the engine. Hence, the smoke and knocking. One suggestion was to try to drain some of the oil out, let the mower sit for a day, and then start it back up so that the remaining oil would burn away with little smoking. I'll give it a try this weekend since I get home too late in the evenings.

Hijinx

Thanks everyone. After telling my co-workers about my lack of lawn mower know-how, they also came to the conclusion that there was too much oil in the engine. Hence, the smoke and knocking. One suggestion was to try to drain some of the oil out, let the mower sit for a day, and then start it back up so that the remaining oil would burn away with little smoking. I'll give it a try this weekend since I get home too late in the evenings.

If you have too much oil in it just drain it and replace it with fresh oil in the proper amount. You don't have to let it set for a day. The excess should burn out in a few moments.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
The best way to get rid of any extra oil would be to light a match and drop it in the oil tank. Once the appropriate amount of oil has burned off just put the cap back on and you are good to go.