Worried about leaving my dog...

keekee

I have an older dog - she's a big girl, and she's 10.
She's a bit neurotic - ok a lot. Scared of people she doesn't know, and scared to death of other dogs. Cats are fine for some reason.
She gets so scared at the vet that she expresses her anal glands... it's lovely. :rolleyes:
So, I always have my kids watch her if I'm out of town.

The problem is... we are planning a 5 day trip and my kids are coming too.

So, I'm thinking I don't want a pet sitter - because she sometimes refuses to go outside - lays down and makes herself heavy, and sometimes refuses to come back inside, etc.
She freaks if I hand her leash to someone she doesn't know - I tried it once at the vet. She almost did back-flips trying to get out of the collar. Literally.

So I'm looking at Chesapeake Pet Resort... but I don't know if they will take a crazy neurotic dog...

They are closed now, but I think I will call them tomorrow to see what they say.

I'm very worried about this trip - but it's an important family event... we really have to (and want to) go.

Has anyone ever left their crazy neurotic dog at a pet resort??? I'm looking for words of encouragement! :lol:

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't know where you are located. I am in St. Leonard. We have used Interlude Kennel (St. Leonard) for over 10 years now. I went through your similar situation two weeks ago for my daughter's wedding on the eastern shore. My two elderly indoor cats had not been boarded since 2010, so I was nervous about leaving them; one is deaf and the other is a scaredy cat! They were there for 4 days and everything was fine! Now, I am ready to travel more, and that pleases my husband very much! :lol: Also, Interlude expresses anal glands cheaper than my vet. That is where I always took our lab/greyhound mix, Oreo.

http://interludepetresort.com/

keekee

I don't know where you are located. I am in St. Leonard. We have used Interlude Kennel (St. Leonard) for over 10 years now. I went through your similar situation two weeks ago for my daughter's wedding on the eastern shore. My two elderly indoor cats had not been boarded since 2010, so I was nervous about leaving them; one is deaf and the other is a scaredy cat! They were there for 4 days and everything was fine! Now, I am ready to travel more, and that pleases my husband very much! :lol: Also, Interlude expresses anal glands cheaper than my vet. That is where I always took our lab/greyhound mix, Oreo.

http://interludepetresort.com/

Thanks! I looked at their website... I have a few months before the trip so I have time to ponder...
I'm not sure if it will be better for her to have the "doggie-door" style pet facility, due to her 'stranger at the end of the leash' aversion.
I'll have to study the websites and talk to owners to see what's the best fit for my girl...

Thanks for the linky!

MarieB

We also had a "special needs" dog, and he actually did fine at the kennel. I was sorry that we hadn't just tried it sooner. We got to the point once when we weren't putting off a trip and we had no other options.

That being said, we have used Indian Bridge (once) and Countryside Pet (multiple times.) He was always just fine. I have to say that we and he seemed to prefer Countryside Pet, and it seems like they were extra sweet with gold old Max.

I suggest taking him a few times before you leave - once to walk around the parking lot and once to stay at least a partial day. Talk to the people there too

MarieB

Btw, have you searched the forum for information on that place. Big disclaimer - I could be wrong - but that might be the place that doesn't get a thumbs up.

mamatutu

mama to two
We also had a "special needs" dog, and he actually did fine at the kennel. I was sorry that we hadn't just tried it sooner. We got to the point once when we weren't putting off a trip and we had no other options.

That being said, we have used Indian Bridge (once) and Countryside Pet (multiple times.) He was always just fine. I have to say that we and he seemed to prefer Countryside Pet, and it seems like they were extra sweet with gold old Max.

I suggest taking him a few times before you leave - once to walk around the parking lot and once to stay at least a partial day. Talk to the people there too

I forgot to mention that I did that. The kitties did a day stay 2 days before the trip so it wouldn't be totally foreign to them. And, then I asked Interlude to put them in the same cages, so it would be familiar as possible. It was worth it! Thanks for the reminder.

keekee

Btw, have you searched the forum for information on that place. Big disclaimer - I could be wrong - but that might be the place that doesn't get a thumbs up.

Oooohhhh... I will search & read before I call! Thanks!

MMM_donuts

I've used Chesapeake Pet Resort. I thought they were alright. In a tight situation I have and would again trust them with my dogs. One of them has seizures and can be aggressive when coming out of one. Be prepared to shell out some moneys, though, and make arrangements as soon as possible because they book up. I totally agree with everyone else that has suggested you take him before you actually leave. Their hours are really weird. You can't just go anytime and drop off or pick up your pet. And they charge you for the day when you drop them off, no matter whether you drop them off at 9 am or 5pm (whereas others charge you per every 24 hours).

If you're willing to travel, Interlude is a fantastic place where I feel very comfortable leaving my pets.

If you're still interested in a pet sitter, we use Wags and Whinnies and think they are wonderfully understanding about all the idiosyncracies of my household.

I totally agree with the recommendation for Wags and Whinnies! It's so much nicer for your pet to be at home rather than going to a strange environment! They are very attentive to your pets and any special needs that they might have.

MarieB

Hey keekee, I know your dog is older but have you considered using Clomicalm with some at home training? Our dog was Kung when we used it, so I obviously don't know if it would help your guy or if its appropriate, but it leveled him off so that we could teach him to not be so anxious