Kerry Chummy With Hunter Thompson

Steve

Enjoying life!
Article

While in Colorado, Kerry made a quick stop in Aspen for a $500,000 fund-raiser at the home of Michael Goldberg, president of Miami-based airline leasing company Aerolease International. Kerry invited Aspen resident and writer Hunter S. Thompson to ride in his motorcade and brought three copies of Thompson's book about the 1972 presidential race, "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail" for autographs.

"Just to put your minds all at ease, I have four words for you that I know will relieve you greatly," Kerry told the fund-raiser. "How does this sound -- Vice President Hunter Thompson."

I have to admit, I really didn't know much about Hunter S. Thompson until I read this article, so I thought "Why would Kerry refer to him as a VP prospect?" Then I read a little bit about Thompson and thought "Why would Kerry even be seen with Thompson!!"

Then I remembered that we are talking about liberals here.

For those who aren't aware, Hunter Thompson was a hippie era, counter-culture, down-with-the-establishment type guy, who is renowned for his "poetry" and other literary works. He freely admits to having tried every drug known to man since the 16th century. There is too much about him to list here, but if you don't know who he is, look him up yourself.

If Bush were hanging out with a character like this, he'd be persecuted in the media. It is really just inconceivable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh, please God please God please God let Kerry name Thompson as VP! Please please please!!!!!

Steve

Enjoying life!
I'm pretty certain Kerry was pandering to Thompson when he said that. I just don't get it.

As for the VP, I think that Edwards is in now that the DNC has chimed in. That could present a problem for Bush.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Hunter would be great! More sense than Cheney, and better diplomatic skills than Rumsfeld & dumbya combined!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're right

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge Republicans, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

Then it was quiet again. John had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. "What the #### are you yelling about?" he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. "Never mind," I said. "It's your turn to drive." I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the highway. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough."

You're so right...

http://www.levity.com/corduroy/thompson.htm

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
Hunter would be great! More sense than Cheney, and better diplomatic skills than Rumsfeld & dumbya combined!
Quoted for posterity. I just know you're going to come out of your crack-induced haze, realize what a moron that comment makes you look like, then delete it out of embarrassment.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Clue bus departing.....time to get on it. Sorry I forgot to use the /sarcasm tag to help you out.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's good - change your post to pretend you were making sense, then pretend you were being sarcastic. Good maneuver :yay:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Don't worry, Jlab, I got your joke. Putting Hunter anywhere near the White House would be both funny and terrifying. I imagine him wanting to equip police departments with tactical nuclear weapons.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sarcasm isn't needed here...

...if Kerry is hanging with Hunter, he's hanging with Hunter and all the baggage that comes with it. I CAN so see them cruising along.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by vraiblonde
That's good - change your post to pretend you were making sense, then pretend you were being sarcastic. Good maneuver :yay:

I couldn't put the /sarcasm in brackets, it wouldn't show up in the post, I had to edit it twice to get it to work. I would never change my post to make it different, unlike some politicians who change their speeches before putting them on their websites.:biggrin:

Steve

Enjoying life!
I still just can't imagine what message Kerry was trying to send by inviting Thompson to join his motorcade. Even by liberal standards, Thompson is way off the scope in his beliefs. He is an extreme radical. And by that, I am not judging Thompson's views and saying he is a crackpot (although he seems like he is) and therefore wrong, but I am saying that Thompson's views would never be espoused by the vast majority of Americans, left or right. So why hang out with him when you are running for president? That would be like Jimmy Carter hanging out with Pol Pot "cause he's so craaaazy!"

Larry Gude

Strung Out
John Kerry has been...

...goofing off and enjoying himself ever since he got all those crippling injuries in the 'Nam.

He's married for $ twice. He snowboards, bikes, and plays Senator when the cameras are really running.

If I was him, I'd hang out with Hunter to. How cool is that? Of course, I'm not asking anyone to value my judgement and give me the football either.

"Hunter, dude, ya ever have one of them angst days? You know, when you just don't give a ####?"

"Hell yeah, Johnny, like you wish the WHOLE world would just #### off and die?"

"Yeah, bro! You know what I'm talking about! Well, my man, check this out!..."

soul4sale

Originally posted by Steve
For those who aren't aware, Hunter Thompson was a hippie era, counter-culture, down-with-the-establishment type guy, who is renowned for his "poetry" and other literary works. He freely admits to having tried every drug known to man since the 16th century.

He was also, at one time, a brilliant politcal writer with an acid wit and a love of football, motorcycles and .357 Magnums.

"Hell's Angels" and both "Fear and Loathing" books are journalism classics.

He actually ran for Sheriff of Aspen on the "Freak Power" ticket. It would have been a hoot if his supporters had actually bothered to vote...

Isn't he writing a book on this campaign?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Re: Soul4sale...

Originally posted by Steve
You have read his books then?

Fear and Loathing was made into a movie by Terry Gilliam (Brazil, 12 Monkeys, The Fisher King, Time Bandits, etc...)

The movie was pretty good. Of course, I love Terry Gilliams work.