I am really angry right now

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just received an email stating that the Mitch Rapp series of books will continue, even though Vince Flynn died last year. This just pisses me off. How can another writer take over a popular book series? It's not like another actor taking over a TV role; the author IS the book, the whole book.

I understand that Flynn's peeps want to keep the franchise going and make some more money, but it's just annoying. It's like Picasso dies, so they get someone else to come do paintings and sign his name to them. It's wrong and a cheat.

:burning:lol

Beta

Smile!
I just received an email stating that the Mitch Rapp series of books will continue, even though Vince Flynn died last year. This just pisses me off. How can another writer take over a popular book series? It's not like another actor taking over a TV role; the author IS the book, the whole book.

I understand that Flynn's peeps want to keep the franchise going and make some more money, but it's just annoying. It's like Picasso dies, so they get someone else to come do paintings and sign his name to them. It's wrong and a cheat.

His heirs probably sold the rights to make a quick buck. Talk about no respect.

glhs837

Power with Control
could be that, could be that his people, both estate and the publisher took the time to find someone who cared enough and was a good enough author to tell the stories the way he would have approved of.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
could be that, could be that his people, both estate and the publisher took the time to find someone who cared enough and was a good enough author to tell the stories the way he would have approved of.

They apparently did, and so did Robert B. Parker's heirs. But it's still a cheat. I think of writing as an art, with each artist having a unique style. It's like if Yoko Ono hired someone to write songs under John Lennon's name.

JOHN LENNON'S
"Imagine"
(written and performed by Joe Schmuckatelli)

That is not a John Lennon song; it's a Joe Schmuckatelli song using Lennon's name as a commercial fake-out. Same with Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series. Can you imagine a "Michael Crichton" novel written by a ghost writer?

The guy who took over the James Bond series also ghost wrote a Tom Clancy novel, and it's a fraud. It's different when a kiddie series is written by a collection of authors under one pen name - Sweet Valley High and The babysitters Club - but not serious novels with a more sophisticated following.

glhs837

Power with Control
And if it's not ghost written but rather presented as a Mitch Rapp book by the new guy?

glhs837

Power with Control
I think maybe it doesnt bother a science fiction fan as much as others. We are used to open worlds where authors invite others in to play with the universes they have created. Larry Nivens Known Space is a good example. A good story, well told is just that, no matter who does the telling.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A good story, well told is just that, no matter who does the telling.

True, but if you're a big fan of a certain series a new author will have little discrepancies and oddities that stand out like a sore thumb. The dialog will be off, and you're going, "Okay, that is NOT how Spenser and Hawk talk to each other." It's jarring. Crichton's Micro was finished by some other guy and it was pretty terrible.

glhs837

Power with Control
That speaks more to the choice of the author, I think. And of course, finishing a work half done has got to be harder, as opposed to doing a fresh piece, as will be the case here. In one case I know of, the guy was picking up book 12 of a series, each one of the previous 11 were over 1,000 pages. And the final one was split into three more books. The original author knew he was dying, and set out notes as to how he wanted it to end in general in case he didnt make it. The authors wife got to pick the new guy, a man who was an accomplished author who the wife was a fan of, a fan of the books himself, and spent considerable time in research.

Like anything it can be done well or poorly.

MMDad

Lem Putt
True, but if you're a big fan of a certain series a new author will have little discrepancies and oddities that stand out like a sore thumb. The dialog will be off, and you're going, "Okay, that is NOT how Spenser and Hawk talk to each other." It's jarring. Crichton's Micro was finished by some other guy and it was pretty terrible.

You should find the author and hobble him.

glhs837

Power with Control
That was the example I was using :) Not sure if I want to ask misfit what he thought hobble meant :)

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Vinces books were turning to crap. Formulaic, repetitive, un-creative crap.

insthrnmd

This happened to Frank Herbert's Dune. He wrote the originals and after he died, several years later, his son and another author expanded the series. Overall, the books his son has written are not bad, however, he does not write at the level that his father did.

But in this case, I think he wanted to continue his father's legacy instead of selling out to the highest bidder.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

But, but, but, Star Trek continued on past Gene Roddenberry. :shrug: