No more Happy's

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Called for a take-out order yesterday and got no answer. Drove by and the place was dark. Saw this posted this morning.

Attachments

• happys.jpg
    happys.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 431

frequentflier

happy to be living
Called for a take-out order yesterday and got no answer. Drove by and the place was dark. Saw this posted this morning.

Businesses have come and gone in that plaza. What a shame. "Mr Happy" seemed like a nice enough guy; I was hoping his business would make it.

molly_21

How are we supposed to be Americans if we can't get a hot dog???

Funny. That is why I found the place a turn off. When I found out that he was from Turkey I asked him if he was going to put some Turkish food on the menu (since the closest place if I want that kind of food is Waldorf or Annapolis). He went off on me and my husband and said we are American's and we need to eat hot dogs?!?!?

pilot

Funny. That is why I found the place a turn off. When I found out that he was from Turkey I asked him if he was going to put some Turkish food on the menu (since the closest place if I want that kind of food is Waldorf or Annapolis). He went off on me and my husband and said we are American's and we need to eat hot dogs?!?!?

I thought hotdogs or frankfurters originally came from Germany?

If we're only going to eat American food, I guess that leaves us with Thanksgiving dinner.

Hessian

I think the location is,...fair/poor.
"A" for effort Mr Happy..... (Brief recollection of a Seinfeld episode ).

As I have said before...we NEED a European restaurant (NOT Spanish/French)....maybe Polish/German/Hungarian....that also sells Fresh bread/and imported chocolate.
THIS could make it in So Md (NOT in Waldorf though!!)

molly_21

I thought hotdogs or frankfurters originally came from Germany?

If we're only going to eat American food, I guess that leaves us with Thanksgiving dinner.

You are correct. But the owner, like many people who are not from the U.S originally, the first thing they think of when they think American food is hot dogs, hamburgers, and maybe fried chicken. Like another poster mentioned and I have heard it from other people too that he has told other "customers" who have been in there to check it out that American's are suppose to eat hot dogs as that is the "American" thing to do! Instead he turned off people to the point were they did not want to go back (other than the food not being so great, hence why I only ate there three times and it was to get a burger and another time tuna sandwich).

Beta

Smile!
I think the location is,...fair/poor.
"A" for effort Mr Happy..... (Brief recollection of a Seinfeld episode ).

As I have said before...we NEED a European restaurant (NOT Spanish/French)....maybe Polish/German/Hungarian....that also sells Fresh bread/and imported chocolate.
THIS could make it in So Md (NOT in Waldorf though!!)

I agree about the location. I drove by there at least once a week and I had no clue it existed. I had to google it when this thread came up.

That Polish/German/Hungarian idea is a niche market that would never survive a year in SOMD. Wishful thinking on your part. In fact, I bet it would have a MUCH better chance of surviving somewhere like Waldorf, where they already have a few interesting foreign choices that have survived or thrived. Nothing like that ever lasts around here. All of the locally owned restaurants are closing because everyone would rather get a hamburger at Crapplebees or a hotdog at Sonic.

Hessian

Now Beta you would probably agree,....success rides on marketing.

Imagine a Biergarten....and live music through much of October.
Having special nights to honor Polish (dancing/music....etc) or Dutch Bier night...
I suppose you need FIVE things: a) Talented cooks, b) Fun servers c) Serious start up $$ d) GOOD location e) Vigorous marketing

agreed,...the local (old line) clientele have no connection to the old world, and very few of our Black neighbors,...but we have had such a HUGE influx of Northerners with ethnic roots--they would be the target market.

Midnightrider

i have never been to happy's but they had their open sign on all weekend and they looked open this morning too. so they aren't quite closed yet