God I hate humped up bridges

C

czygvtwkr

People always slow way down at the top.

Civil engineers please quit making bridges like this.

Hijinx

I suppose you either make a bridge with a hump or you make it a bridge that opens.

Would you rather slow down at the top or wait while it is opened to allow boat traffic.

dan0623_2000

If you are referring to the Solomons bridge you can thank the US NAVY for it being that way. They fought for and got their way that the bridge had to be high enough to be able to bring Navy Destroyers under it. When was the last time anyone saw an actual Navy Destroyer in the Patuxent River? I never have.
As for people slowing down at the top. Put in a speed cameras and anyone going up the bridge at the speed limit and then slows down gets a ticket.

Vince

If you are referring to the Solomons bridge you can thank the US NAVY for it being that way. They fought for and got their way that the bridge had to be high enough to be able to bring Navy Destroyers under it. When was the last time anyone saw an actual Navy Destroyer in the Patuxent River? I never have.
As for people slowing down at the top. Put in a speed cameras and anyone going up the bridge at the speed limit and then slows down gets a ticket.
Thought that was for the Coast Guard ship that used to be at the Solomons Annex?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
i don't think it's the hump for solomons. During traffic periods, i think it's the dam corner going towards calvert. We stop there and by time you get to top you're back to 45 MPH WTFO people don't be scared.................

bilbur

It as been about 5 or maybe 10 years since I have seen one of the Navy ships parked at the pier. For a while they would store target ships there but they don't need that anymore. If they rebuild the bridge there should be no reason why it would need to be even close to that tall unless they really do bring cruse ships to the area.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It as been about 5 or maybe 10 years since I have seen one of the Navy ships parked at the pier. For a while they would store target ships there but they don't need that anymore. If they rebuild the bridge there should be no reason why it would need to be even close to that tall unless they really do bring cruse ships to the area.

The pier is currently being removed.

DEEKAYPEE8569

That's the part I don't understand; get onto the bridge and then slow down. Wouldn't the better thought process be to get over it just a little quicker if you're afraid of bridges/heights?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It as been about 5 or maybe 10 years since I have seen one of the Navy ships parked at the pier.

Ever since the pier was destroyed by fire, you mean. They would still be using it otherwise, for the "Hugo" at least.

But that said, the pier was little used and only by smaller ships that did not require the height of the current bridge for clearance, while the Navy decided against using the deep anchorage for any reserve fleet ships a long time ago.

C

czygvtwkr

I suppose you either make a bridge with a hump or you make it a bridge that opens.

Would you rather slow down at the top or wait while it is opened to allow boat traffic.

I would prefer to not be rear ended because traffic stopped at the top.

Midnightrider

That's the part I don't understand; get onto the bridge and then slow down. Wouldn't the better thought process be to get over it just a little quicker if you're afraid of bridges/heights?

its not that they intentionally slow down, i think they just forget to push the gas when the incline starts. It takes them a few extra seconds to notice they are slowing because they are looking at the river and by then all traffic is going 30 up the north bound side.

blacklabman

Still would have to be tall enough to allow sailboats. Unless you want a draw bridge (not).