Is Sonic parking/drive-thru always going to be this stupid?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What Commissioner's mentally retarded third grade cousin designed that ignorant ####? Having to detour up through a freaking shopping center parking lot. Here's these poor Sonic kids trying to wave people 'round and about, to infinity and beyond - who's effing idea was that?

Is that forever or did they just not anticipate having any customers when they opened? Somebody was on the molly when they "planned" that out? Whoever designed that parking lot - hell, the whole center - is a moron anyway, but this latest CF takes the cake.

I've been to hundreds of Sonics all over the US, and I have never seen anything like this mess. Hear that, SMC? Nobody else seems to have a problem with this stuff, just you.

I decided I could live without my cherry limeade after all.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I think it's just the fascination from the folks who have never left the county. It will be like every other opening in the county. Jammed for weeks then it dies down.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it's just the fascination from the folks who have never left the county. It will be like every other opening in the county. Jammed for weeks then it dies down.

Jammed is one thing, but the way they're directing traffic is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The person who routed the Sonic must be the same one who did the Chick-Fil-A in First Colony, where they apparently didn't realize anyone would actually use their drive-thru or that there was such a thing as rush hours.

Vince

Jammed is one thing, but the way they're directing traffic is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen. The person who routed the Sonic must be the same one who did the Chick-Fil-A in First Colony, where they apparently didn't realize anyone would actually use their drive-thru or that there was such a thing as rush hours.
Sounds like a place to stay away from. :shrug:

Beta

Smile!

Hmm, I know that's not the best drive-thru in the world, but I've seen plenty that seem to be just as bad when it gets a line.

The whole Sonic plaza was set up in a weird way, starting with the intersection at Buck Hewitt that doesn't allow you to make a left and go northbound, resulting in people cutting across 4 lanes of traffic to make a U-turn and cause all kinds of mayhem. Yeah, because that's better than adding another ~20 seconds every couple minutes to let people make a left. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how they set up the Sonic area, but I'm not surprised it sucks. Although you can never truly tell until the newness dies down and it gets to normal capacity.

Edit: Found a picture of the design here -- https://www.cbremarketplace.com/listings/15564/Internal Documents/Lexington Village Flyer.pdf
Is the problem when there are too many cars that it loops around and ends up in front of Noodles? I can't imagine any place would anticipate a lineup beyond the extent of their normal parking lot where the cars park for curbside service. That should die down in 6 months. :lol:

Last edited:

warneckutz

It won't matter. You guys will flock to it like flies to roadkill. And swear it's the best hamburger you ever ate.

Southern MD...

internet-memes-dibs.png

idiganthro

Edit: Found a picture of the design here -- https://www.cbremarketplace.com/listings/15564/Internal Documents/Lexington Village Flyer.pdf
Is the problem when there are too many cars that it loops around and ends up in front of Noodles? I can't imagine any place would anticipate a lineup beyond the extent of their normal parking lot where the cars park for curbside service. That should die down in 6 months. :lol:

We went to Noodles & Co. last Wednesday not realizing the Sonic was just opening. Almost half of the Dick's Sporting Goods lot area had cones set up for the massive amounts of cars in line, switchback style, waiting to order at Sonic. The parking spaces were full of cars with people who were waiting for their orders. We grew up with a Sonic in our hometown back in Texas, and it's okay and all, but wowza! I can't imagine waiting that long to pay someone for okay food!!

I'm sure you're right that it will die down soon, but I still don't get it!

pelers

Some friends and I actually braved opening day (well, night) and got some milkshakes. It was craaaaazaaaay. We parked and walked over, it took probably an hour. In the normal course of things not worth it, but the kids were in bed being supervised by the husbands and we were out having a grand time having grown up conversations.

The poor kids out there trying to direct traffic were ridiculous. I hated that parking lot before they put Sonic in and my feelings have not improved.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sure you're right that it will die down soon, but I still don't get it!

We're bored here. A new fast food or chain restaurant doesn't make a murmur in any other community, but here it's like a meet & greet with Jesus.

And I get that. I expected Sonic to be ridiculously overpopulated for the first few weeks. What I didn't expect was the Rube Goldberg parking lot set up.

Why, WHY??? don't they just let me run everything???