What is missing from Bill's Book?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Clinton's book is being roundly panned by every source except for the die-hard groupies. Certainly no one thought he was going to be candid - we're talking about a pathological liar here.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Originally posted by Hessian
I'm sure our first Black president simply didn't have the space to go into detail.

Awww. Hess. What's that supposed to mean? A good article link that made good points has just been clouded by the race card.:nono:

SamSpade

Originally posted by SmallTown
but boy is his book selling...

And so far, this is fairly mystifying.

CNN says it sold over 400,000 the first day, but in dozens of reports around the country, bookstores are reporting they're definitely not flying off the shelves the way Harry Potter books do. Some of them claim, very few if any sales.

So, is it all just Amazon sales? Is there some Sam's Club or BJ's selling them for a buck or something? I guess I don't get it. It seems to me that if something is THAT popular, there'd be evidence of people grabbing every copy.

When Spiderman comes out again in movie theaters, I expect that the first week, the theaters will be crammed. Pretty much *everywhere*. I'll be really surprised if the news comes back, yeah well Spidey took in 80 mil its first weekend, but the theaters in Cincinatti, San Diego, Seattle and Boston were mostly silent.

Doesn't make sense to me.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SamSpade
And so far, this is fairly mystifying.

CNN says it sold over 400,000 the first day, but in dozens of reports around the country, bookstores are reporting they're definitely not flying off the shelves the way Harry Potter books do. Some of them claim, very few if any sales.

So, is it all just Amazon sales? Is there some Sam's Club or BJ's selling them for a buck or something? I guess I don't get it. It seems to me that if something is THAT popular, there'd be evidence of people grabbing every copy.

When Spiderman comes out again in movie theaters, I expect that the first week, the theaters will be crammed. Pretty much *everywhere*. I'll be really surprised if the news comes back, yeah well Spidey took in 80 mil its first weekend, but the theaters in Cincinatti, San Diego, Seattle and Boston were mostly silent.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Potter I think set the record for like 2.4 million in the first day. So yea, I would say it would look a little different

SamSpade

Ok. I'm just suspicious. Drudge showed ho-hum sales nationwide in about a dozen selected cities, and critics have savaged it as self-indulgent, tedious and - well - tedious. One reviewer mentioned that a huge portion is devoted to his childhood. A little unusual even for a biography, because even though childhood last many years, when you're talking about a public figure, you really need to spend more time on the parts that are relevant.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SamSpade
Ok. I'm just suspicious. Drudge showed ho-hum sales nationwide in about a dozen selected cities, and critics have savaged it as self-indulgent, tedious and - well - tedious. One reviewer mentioned that a huge portion is devoted to his childhood. A little unusual even for a biography, because even though childhood last many years, when you're talking about a public figure, you really need to spend more time on the parts that are relevant.

The parts that are relevant are already widely distributed! :biggrin:

SamSpade

Originally posted by SmallTown
The parts that are relevant are already widely distributed! :biggrin:

Hmmm. I'm not about to slog through 900+ pages for 10 pages of salacious justifications. But I would read pages about his presidency, and how his administration functioned. Not BS about why he was right about stuff.

Hessian

tlatchaw...

I trust you know that those are the Prevaricator in Chief's own words?
He has characterized himself in that way many times. It was no attempt to stir racism on my part.

My 9 year old asked if Bill will get the same treatment as Reagan when he dies...and then answered her own question by saying "The army probably could care less about him."

Good girl.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Re: tlatchaw...

I trust you know that those are the Prevaricator in Chief's own words?

Nope, I didn't know that, although I have heard him referred to that way before. I Didn't really think you meant to play the race card because that didn't seem like your style.

I guess that's what made me comment, you surprised me some.

soul4sale

Re: tlatchaw...

My 9 year old asked if Bill will get the same treatment as Reagan when he dies...and then answered her own question by saying "The army probably could care less about him."

Good girl.

Good army. That whole state funeral thing was ridiculous. Nobody before Lincoln did it, and nobody after should have.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: tlatchaw...

Originally posted by soul4sale
Good army. That whole state funeral thing was ridiculous. Nobody before Lincoln did it, and nobody after should have.
Really, how about these which were before Lincoln?

George Washington: Dec. 14, 1799

Washington was apparently healthy until he caught a chill during a freezing rain and died just as the nation was about to celebrate the start of the 1800s. Though he had requested a simple funeral, Congress called for a more elaborate memorial with gun tributes, band music and large contingents of soldiers and Masons. In the famous funeral oration, Henry Lee declared that Washington was "first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen." His mahogany coffin was interred in the family tomb at Mount Vernon, Va.

James Monroe: Died: July 4, 1831

Monroe's funeral at St. Paul's Episcopal Church was preceded by eulogies at New York City Hall. Thousands followed his funeral procession up Broadway to the Marble Cemetery, as church bells tolled and guns from the Battery boomed once for every year of his life. His body was moved in 1858 to the Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Va.

William Henry Harrison: April 4, 1841

The first president to die in office, Harrison caught cold during his inaugural address and died a month later. His body lay in state at the Capitol before the nation's first state funeral, on April 7, 1841, with some 10,000 mourners in the procession. Initially buried in Washington, his remains were moved to a grave at his home in North Bend, Ohio.

Zachary Taylor: July 9, 1850

He died in office and lay in state in the East Room of the White House, where his funeral took place. A procession, including his war horse "Old Whitey," accompanied the coffin to the Congressional Burial Ground. Later his remains were moved to his childhood home near Louisville.

rraley

I enjoyed state President Reagan's state funeral - it was a great display from a grateful nation's for his service. State funerals are great ways for this nation to show their thanks.

And will Clinton get the same state funeral? You bet your ass he will. While 3/4 of the people on this forum hate his living guts, about half this nation absolutely adores him and his politics.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by rraley
And will Clinton get the same state funeral?
I think all Presidents should get a state funeral and there should be a national day of mourning. Doesn't matter what you think of their politics - they were still a President.

rraley

Originally posted by vraiblonde
I think all Presidents should get a state funeral and there should be a national day of mourning. Doesn't matter what you think of their politics - they were still a President.

I fully agree.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Clinton's book is being roundly panned by every source except for the die-hard groupies. Certainly no one thought he was going to be candid - we're talking about a pathological liar here.

If you would like to meet him, he will be having a book signing right across from where I work on July 7th at 4:00 -- there will be mobs and mobs of folks lining up. I heard that in NY there were folks spending the night to get in line. :biggrin: