Humming birds.

mamatutu

mama to two
Seem to have left. I didn't have many, maybe 2 or 3.

I have seen many here. Maybe, it is because they know winter will get to you in CO before it gets here. Do you have feeders out?

One thing I tried this year was making a butterfly garden which, also, attracts the hummingbirds.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I have been seeing the 3 or 4 that are our normal visitors quite frequently over the past week. I think they are trying to fuel up for migration.

spaghettislinge

We still have hummers at our place. Only 3 - 5 each day now. They are usually gone by Sept. 15th. They seem to be taking their time heading south this year.

NextJen

Raisin cane
It's been 2 days since I have seen any at our feeders. I think they may have started South. I'll leave the feeders up for a few more weeks in case we get any migraters on their way by.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I have a few still hanging around. Like spaghettislinge, I thought they seemed to be taking their sweet time this year.

That's fine with me though, I'm always sad to see them go.

mamatutu

mama to two
I believe it is possible to feed a hummingbird out of our hand. When on a vacation in Maine, a hummingbird hit the window of our house and was knocked unconscious. My hub put it in his hand and then we made a mixture of sugar water and poured it in his palm. The bird, eventually, came to and drank the water, and then flew away. I will never forget that memory. Awesome.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I hung our feeders out last weekend and we saw our first visitor on Wednesday evening (the 15th)! Tiny little guy. I saw him last night too. I'm not sure if he is a regular or if he is on his way further North. They're back!

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
thanks, i'll have to put ours out. Waiting for blue birds too, have evicted Chickadee three times....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I got buzzed when I got home yesterday. I was late with the feeders, and I was informed of their displeasure. :lmao: I asked my husband, how do they know that I normally have feeders out for them? He replied, there are bird truck stop signs pointing to our house. :lol: But I goggled it, and their lifespan is about 5 years. That's one heck of a memory.

Beta

Smile!
thanks, i'll have to put ours out. Waiting for blue birds too, have evicted Chickadee three times....

Chickadees deserve love too!

Right now I have a bird nest above my front door. I'm just going to leave it...not harming anyone. :lol:

I was just hearing last night that it was time to put out the hummingbird feeders. :yahoo:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
They do, last year she had laid eggs, let her stay, when baby's fledged cleaned nest and blue birds came and made nest and had a brood

mamatutu

mama to two
The big bumble bees are back too. I guess they thought the azalea bushes would be in bloom again.

Just be sure that they are not borer bees. They look similar. It took us three years with pest control company to get rid of them. They will do major damage to a wooden house.

mamatutu

mama to two
Chickadees deserve love too!

Right now I have a bird nest above my front door. I'm just going to leave it...not harming anyone. :lol:

I was just hearing last night that it was time to put out the hummingbird feeders. :yahoo:

We keep bird seed out in our feeder all year round, and suet cakes. We love to watch them. We had a goldfinch today which is rare. Need to put out the hummingbird feeder. Just didn't do it yet. We, actually, had ants in our kitchen last week. I didn't want to put out more sugar.