Negotiating realtor commision

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Has anyone ever negotiated their realtor's commision down from the common 3%? I am lookign to bring it down in order to keep my price competitive and I feel it is warranted since I've done my own comps, staged the house, done marketing materials etc. Really I just need MLS listing and a lock box..i tried doing it myself briefly but i dont take stress very well and I think id just prefer to have someone else run the show for a little bit. I just need the right way to approach them about a lower commision and wether I should mention it in the first phone call or wait until we sit down and chat about pricing...

Chris0nllyn

Has anyone ever negotiated their realtor's commision down from the common 3%? I am lookign to bring it down in order to keep my price competitive and I feel it is warranted since I've done my own comps, staged the house, done marketing materials etc. Really I just need MLS listing and a lock box..i tried doing it myself briefly but i dont take stress very well and I think id just prefer to have someone else run the show for a little bit. I just need the right way to approach them about a lower commision and wether I should mention it in the first phone call or wait until we sit down and chat about pricing...

Yes. I knew my realtor, but they offered to drop their commission to 1.5% I believe.

Midnightrider

and isnt it 3% per agent so you end up paying 6% total?
I know i have had deals whee the agents got together and agreed to take a lower than normal commission just to get the deal done. You may find one willing to list it for you for below the norm. I would just ask. Good luck.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I know i have had deals whee the agents got together and agreed to take a lower than normal commission just to get the deal done. .

Same here. But it was at the last minute, when "surprise costs" were going to derail a settlement. As a general rule, it is considered VERY bad form, amongst the realtor community and profession, to offer a reduced rate up front. That's why you generally only hear about it happening when it's "between friends" deals that won't get much publicity. And related to that...a realtor operating from a commercial office as part of a group (as different from an independent) has very little leeway, if any, to offer any concessions on commission.

R

rhenderson

Your listing contract is with the Broker - not the agent. The commission is split between the Listing Broker and the Selling Broker. The Broker's share of the commission on a sale is split between the Broker and the Agent based on their internal agreement on commission. As the OP appears to know, you must list with a Broker to have the property show up on MLS.

Consider this - if you successfully negotiate a lower commission for the sale of the property it means the selling agent will get less commission than properties listed at the market rate commission. Why would a selling agent show a potential buyer a property that will net them less than other equally acceptable properties?

Generally, "negotiated" commissions are for higher rates or for "bonus to selling agent" which is paid by the seller to the selling agent.

nutz

You might try here....

https://www.redfin.com/

https://www.redfin.com/county/1327/...n_id=1327&region_type=5&disp_mode=M&market=dc

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao: mostly comprised of liars, thieves and whores......sorta like politicians

I have not had that experience with area realtors. I've dealt with a number of them, both personally and professionally, and they've been great.

That said, because being a RE agent seems like easy money (it's not) you get a number of dumbells who don't know what they're doing and are of below average common sense and intelligence. Usually you'll want to get a referral when using an agent to buy or sell a home to avoid these types, but honestly they don't last that long in the profession anyway.