The winner of the "Your name must be Richard, cause ....

Im_Me

I'm calling you DICK" prize for the day goes to:.... the guy in the black Heavy Duty Ford truck with the orange buckets in the back, who was driving in the left lane for several miles on Rt 4 this morning doing 59 MPH. Our winner continued at that speed right up until I tried to pass him on the right; at which time he suddenly figured out how to work the accelerator peddle and sped up to 70 MPH, trapping me in the right lane behind someone (legitimately) going slow.

Have a nice day Azzhat! :smack:

I'm calling you DICK" prize for the day goes to:.... the guy in the black Heavy Duty Ford truck with the orange buckets in the back, who was driving in the left lane for several miles on Rt 4 this morning doing 59 MPH. Our winner continued at that speed right up until I tried to pass him on the right; at which time he suddenly figured out how to work the accelerator peddle and sped up to 70 MPH, trapping me in the right lane behind someone (legitimately) going slow.

How DARE he speed below the amount you wanted to speed.

Im_Me

I'm not running radar, and wouldn't care if he was driving 75 or 55. I just expect a little consistency. Not 50 to 70 all of the sudden when he gets someone beside him.

marlboroman

out on the range
Well by your own account he went from 59 to 70 (not that drastic) not 50 to 70 (kind of drastic).
Or might there be some embellishment going on here to make it a better story?

Hannibal

This doesn't fly. Call it what you will, but there are two groups of drivers - those who speed and those who don't. Roads of a suitable volume/use are typically multiple lanes and are designed (in part) to allow for staggered speeds. The left lane is typically the passing lane or the fast lane.

If a driver wants to be on the slower side of the traffic flow, he/she needs to stay in the right hand lane. It is not his/her job to enforce the speed limits. And at a minimum, they can not be a nusance simply by travelling in the right hand lane and not creating a jam up in the left with traffic who want to travel faster then them. By ignoring this, they are simply being inconsiderate and I have no patience for it.

This (as you can probably tell) is a pet peeve of mine as I am usually "victimized" by this type of behavior on my way home in the evenings travelling down Rt. 301.

It's called 'pacing', and people do it without realizing they do it. Drives me nuts.... you get behind someone doing 54 in a 55 on a 4-lane road. You pull out to pass and they speed up and match your speed. The faster you go, the faster they go until you finally are doing 75, can't get past the numbnutz, give up and pull back into the right lane where the jerk in front slows down again in front of you.

BernieP

Resident PIA
This doesn't fly. Call it what you will, but there are two groups of drivers - those who speed and those who don't. Roads of a suitable volume/use are typically multiple lanes and are designed (in part) to allow for staggered speeds. The left lane is typically the passing lane or the fast lane.

If a driver wants to be on the slower side of the traffic flow, he/she needs to stay in the right hand lane. It is not his/her job to enforce the speed limits. And at a minimum, they can not be a nusance simply by travelling in the right hand lane and not creating a jam up in the left with traffic who want to travel faster then them. By ignoring this, they are simply being inconsiderate and I have no patience for it.

This (as you can probably tell) is a pet peeve of mine as I am usually "victimized" by this type of behavior on my way home in the evenings travelling down Rt. 301.

in most civilized states this is the law, however you will soon be told 2 things by the road nazis
1. there is no stay right except to pass law in Maryland
2. the speed limit is the same in the left lane as it is the right.

Not that I am not sympathetic to your point or the OP. More to the OP's point, there are people, regardless of the lane they are in, who just don't like being passed.
I've had the cruise control set, found myself closing on a car in the right lane, put the blinker on and moved left. Then for some reason I find I am no longer closing, but merely pacing as the driver in the right lane has decided to accelerate. Since I don't want to tailgate NOR do I want to be part of a rolling block, I accelerate to complete the pass only to have the driver again match my speed.

I think I'll set the cruise on 55 when I get off work today, get in the left lane of 495 and cruise all the way. Why? Because I can and threads like this annoy the F outta me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Every time I see one of these treads I ask myself "Self, do you think that is cathartic for them or is it a sign of the devil? Some sort of possession or other disorder?"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I think I'll set the cruise on 55 when I get off work today, get in the left lane of 495 and cruise all the way. Why? Because I can and threads like this annoy the F outta me.

In many states that is now illegal and soon will be here too. People who drive stuck in the left lane annoy the crap outa people who know how to drive. ;-)

dave1959

If you were behind him for several miles.... Why didn't you just go around him..????

SG_Player1974

What is the speed limit on Rt 4? Does it go up to 65MPH somewhere and this story is about that area? If not then why are you angry? This person was doing at LEAST the speed limit and abiding by the law. :shrug:

In many states that is now illegal and soon will be here too. People who drive stuck in the left lane annoy the crap outa people who know how to drive. ;-)

Yeah, I know. If I'm not overtaking the car to my right, I am not in the left lane. I usually drive in the right center lane on the beltway at 60-65 MPH. Fast enough to overtake the right lane and not hold up the cars behind me, yet not fast enough to run over the cars in front of me.

Today, it's 55 in the left lane in honor of Im_Me.

FED_UP

From Urban dictionary - A P####### is a driver that speeds up just as you are attempting to pass them forcing you to drive even faster or fall back into line behind them. Hmmm don't know why that was blocked it but it was Pass hole, one word.

IMO there is some psychology behind this, but I am not a psychologist so I will explain it in simple terms. People just don’t like to be passed, makes them feels as if there driving sucks, therefore they speed up as you are passing to keep you blocked or make you speed for your rude behavior.

Hannibal

in most civilized states this is the law, however you will soon be told 2 things by the road nazis
1. there is no stay right except to pass law in Maryland
2. the speed limit is the same in the left lane as it is the right.

Not that I am not sympathetic to your point or the OP.

1. I understand this and it furthers my disdain for this State.
2. This is true as well. However, common sense and consideration would usually dictate that you move out of they way as opposed to holding up traffic that wishes to travel at a higher rate of speed than you.

If you can't be considerate of that, I am not sympathetic your positions in #1 and #2 and will usually demonstrate my annoyance via other unsafe driving acts and hand signals.

In all seriousness, people simply need to move over if someone is behind them wishing to go faster. Why hold up traffic flow? Let them (me) mosey on by and fly right into the waiting speed trap. I will (not) learn my lesson.

Toxick

Splat
Yeah, I know. If I'm not overtaking the car to my right, I am not in the left lane. I usually drive in the right center lane on the beltway at 60-65 MPH. Fast enough to overtake the right lane and not hold up the cars behind me, yet not fast enough to run over the cars in front of me.

Today, it's 55 in the left lane in honor of Im_Me.

Your odds of ending up in front if Im_Me: 1 in 72.8 quadrillion.

Your odds of ending up in front of Toxick: 5 to 1 in favor.

glhs837

Power with Control
One way to prevent this is to drive a vehicle that 90% of the motoring public has no chance of speed matching you in the pass :) Wife has recently taken over driving the Charger and has noted that the ability to BE THERE right now, as you wish with a simple press of the pedal is nice.

and, yes, Larry, it is cathartic.